Menu

Using android apps on Kindle Fire?

LadyR

We have several kindle fires that we've installed google playstore on using the instructions here: https://www.saintlad.com/install-google-play-store-on-kindle-fire/ They work well for us. It's not perfect - sometimes you have to manually start updates, for example, and there have been a couple of apps that wouldn't work right. But overall, especially considering the price differences between the kindles and other android tablets, we've been very happy.

I've done this to multiple Kindle Fires.  They are what I use for my classes since they are so much cheaper than other tablets, since I use them with young kids who could break them easily.  We initially found we could do this looking for a way to load Pokemon Go for the kids so I always use these directions:  https://pokemongokindlefire.com/

I've very rarely found an app that I can't download at all, but I haven't had any problem with any of the apps I've downloaded.  I have my local library app, the Nook app, Pokemon Go, various other games, Sphero robots, Great Courses Plus, a green screen app, Scratch Jr. and a few other things on mine.  All are the cheap 7 inch ones that go on sale at Christmas for $35.  My kids have the more expensive 8" kids version ones and they have loaded all kinds of drawing apps.

Thanks for all the info.  One more question.  Do you notice a big difference in screen quality in the Kindle compared to your phone?     My eyesight isn't that great so I'm wondering if I should save up for a tablet with higher resolution and dpi. I would love the higher screen resolution found in the ipad mini but want to pay a Kindle price. lol