Menu

ground cover issue

ktgrok

So, in addition to my own large dogs, I now have a foster puppy that my 2 yr old hound loves to run and chase and wrestle with. Which is great! Except..the tiny bit of grass we kind of managed to grow is now gone, torn up, and in that area I now have well tilled dirt 🙂

Seriously, I want to rent them out to gardeners and farmers to till up the land. Sigh.

So, in hopes of keeping SOME of the dirt out of my house, I need to do something. Grass won't grow due to the dogs running and tearing it up. Plus the rest of the yard in back has too much shade for lawn, plus the homeowners before us at some point put down weed barrier. So that area is a layer of dirt with oak leaves on top. My thoughts are:

Mulch the whole darned area. We can get mulch by the truckload from a nursery down the street for a decent price. They will dump it into DH's pickup bed. But still a bit pricey to do much of an area. 

Put down pea gravel. (given that rock is heavier than mulch that sounds...laborious). 

Or, at least temporarily, put down straw. I saw this idea online and it is appealing to me. It's light, cheap (I think?), and I could do it myself without DH - just put a few bales at a time in the van. Supposedly it breaks down and enriches the soil, absorbs water, prevents mud, etc. Anyone ever done this? This is the backyard, so no one sees it really, and we could always put down mulch over it later. 

My one concern is I imagine rats wanting to nest in it? But I would think dogs running around would keep them away, right?

2 minutes ago, umsami said:

I have the same issue...only one dog.  

I've been thinking of all of what you've mentioned as well as flowering peanut.  Have you looked into that?  It's supposed to be quite hardy as a ground cover and is drought resistant.  

Honestly, I'm hesitant to believe anything short of kevlar would be resistant to 70lb dogs running full force on it. 

• Haha 1

In parts of the south, people use pinestraw for mulch a lot. I never see it around here in the mid-Atlantic though. It does break down over time - probably at about the same rate as mulch, though a bit differently. I think it has a messier look than mulch and it's not as good for gardening maybe? But you're just trying to cover the ground. Since it's cheap and easy, I'd try it. Worst thing that happens is you have to rake it up and start over with another option in a couple of months.

5 minutes ago, Farrar said:

In parts of the south, people use pinestraw for mulch a lot. I never see it around here in the mid-Atlantic though. It does break down over time - probably at about the same rate as mulch, though a bit differently. I think it has a messier look than mulch and it's not as good for gardening maybe? But you're just trying to cover the ground. Since it's cheap and easy, I'd try it. Worst thing that happens is you have to rake it up and start over with another option in a couple of months.

Pine straw tends to be full of insects/ticks i've heard? And it can be dangerous if they eat it, supposedly, by piercing the stomach. Regular straw is softer and pest free I'd think?  I need to research more. It's also REALLY slippery, which is more of an issue - don't need torn knee ligaments. 

Seems the pine shavings/horse bedding might track into the house more than the straw? But might look better? I really think I'm leaning toward trying this. It would be great under the swings/bottom of the slide as well. Heck, might get one thing of straw just for the bottom of the slide as a cushion. 

Edited by Ktgrok

When we had multiple large dogs DH sowed Bermuda grass. Some kind of expensive hybrid. Our yard was as plush as a golf course and almost 200 (combined) pounds of active canines didn’t hurt it a bit. I doubt it would grow too well in shade, though. 

Bedding sounds nicer than straw. Straw gets smooshed and ugly fast. I think mulch would be the best if this a long-term thing, but if you started with something like the bedding, it gives you a chance to maybe replace it a little at a time in a more budget-friendly way. 

Have you seen coir? I know nothing about it, but the other suggestions prompted me to see if it's a thing because I've used coir pots as a replacement for peat pots. I didn't price compare, but here's a link to one kind. It's light and expandable. https://www.gardeners.com/buy/mulchbrick-coconunt-coir-mulch-block/36-567.html

Just an FYI on the pea gravel. You want jagged pea gravel, not smooth if you go that route. If you get smooth, it's also a walking hazard, but the jagged kind will compact a bit and not roll as much. We used large rocks from mulch in some places (along with traditional mulch), and while it's a little bit of a pain to move, it's very inexpensive. If you do want to plant grass again at a future date, I would not use small gravel--you'll have to dig it back out in order to replant.

• Like 1

We have clean chip stone in our dog yards. We tried mulch and our dogs were still able to make a mess by digging in it, chewing on it, and tracking it into the house. The mulch got mixed in with the dirt below and when it rained, it became a muddy mess.  The chip stone is much tidier - poop scooping is super easy -  and it doesn't need to be replaced or refreshed like mulch. They can still dig in the yard, but it doesn't turn into a big mudhole now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

If the weed barrier is where you want to plant ground cover, seems like you ought to pull up the weed barrier first.

Well, the weed barrier was put down over 10 years ago, possibly closer to 15 or 20 years ago, with tree fulls of leaves decomposing over it all that time. it's now buried about 1-2 inches in some places, at the surface in others. Would be a HUGE project to get it out. 

Not looking to plant anything living, looking for stuff to put down instead of living things. So mulch, etc. 

Just a few random comments.

Pea gravel is a nightmare. It doesn't stay in place as it spreads like a pile of small rough marbles. Don't do it. It is hot and super messy. If the dogs (or the kids) get it stuck in paws, fur, or shoes, you get it in the house constantly and it is like stepping on legos. It is hard on vacuums as well. I would also be concerned about them eating the rocks. Jagged edges and pets don't seem to mix. I would worry about ripping tiny scratches in their pads as well.  If you do pea gravel, look for a tumbled form that is smooth. More messy (trying to contain smooth marbles) but I imagine safer for the paws and GI tract.

Straw will be less messy than what you currently have but it will need constant maintenance to respread it and because it breaks down, you need a new layer all the time. Anyone with allergies may have issues with the mold/mildew that grows on it. I also assume you will have bits of straw all over the house, since it depending on the dogs coat, I would expect it to get stuck quite a bit. I would wonder about possible eye injuries as well if they are rolling in it. Straw can go airborne for a bit when it is dry so it doesn't really stick to the ground like other options.

Regular mulch will be messy and may cause slivers on the dogs, but definitely will on the kids. I hate regular mulch with a passion in areas where kids are playing. If it is a dog only area it may not be bad, but kids and mulch are a painful combination. One nightmare is when a kid falls, they get hands and knees that may be less scuffed, but instead have hundreds of slivers instead.

Tuff is hot but I don't think it is any hotter than pea gravel. I don't know the science, but just anecdotal experience makes them seem about the same.  I don't know what dog poo would do on turf. Im guessing you would have to pick it all up and then it will be stuck somewhat in the blades of grass. Maybe super easy....I don't know. I am in the PNW where it rains all the time, so I am imagining rainy poo puddles. Yuk. LOL And if you have oak trees then you have to deal with that as well.

What about just using leaves?  Get them from your own yard or the neighbors in the fall. Put a solid 6+ inches of them down.  Maybe you can save some in bags to replenish at other times of the year. At first it will be messy but over time they will form a solid(ish) mat  That way they aren't in the mud but on a cooler, biodegradable surface. Around here you can also get pine needles for mulch. I don't know if they are toxic for dogs or not, but they will decompose slower and make a mat on the ground over a few years of new layers being added. 

If you use rocks, only use rounded or river rocks. Much easier on the GI tract if they decide to eat them LOL. 

Maybe look at rubber mulch (very stinky in the summer) and it wouldn't be my first choice. It is really durable but a bit expensive to start with. It can be quite hot as well (especially since it is black), but there may be a temperature rating somewhere on line. It is sometimes used under playgrounds so maybe use that for search terms if you are looking. 

Maybe look at what the professional kennels use as underlayment in their play areas in your area. They will likely know what lasts and what is safe, since they don't want to send home a pet with an injury. 

Good luck!!!! It is a hard decision!

BTW...we just have sturdy grass but our yard is under shade during the heat of the day. We have a mixture of grass seed to maximize hardiness. Under our kids playground areas we used tumbled cedar chips which are great for kids, but I don't know if they are irritating to dog airways or not. They also may cause digestion issues if pets eat them. Other types of tumbled bark chunks may be safe tho, so it is something to consider. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

So I picked up some bags of cedar shavings to try. Currently the yard is dry, no mud, so they are a big fluffy and fly away. But definitely nicer than dirt! And I put a big pile under the bottom of the slide where the baby falls on her butt - nice cushion! 

I got cedar rather than pine for the insect repellency, but as cedar is more expensive will probably get pine next time and mix it in. 

I am glad I didn't get straw - I totally forgot that straw comes from wheat plants and I have a kid with celiac!!!!!

• Like 1

In a similar situation (2 big digging type dogs) my sister did their whole tiny, shady back yard, from deck to fence, in pea gravel. She said much easier for poop scooping, only needed to mow and water the tiny front yard.

Edited by KathyBC

We have used straw in garden— sort of different reason.  

Thrre are many types of “straw”... I like oat straw best and it might be okay for celiac ?

If I were doing this I might try areas with some straw that can get planted with something like a very durable deep rooted clover next rainy season.   

Keeping a large dog play area covered in bedding materials seems like it could end up costly and difficult if it goes on long.

renting (or even lending) out the dogs for weed eradication sounds like a good idea 😉