Menu

Tracking apps for cell phones

kfeusse

As was recommended on this board, we put Life 360 on our cell phones when we bought our daughter a phone. After a bit of tinkering we got it to work. 

So now we just got a phone (different brand and a less expensive one too).... For our son. The 360 app doesn't seem to work unless he is connected to WiFi. He had his locator, data and wifi on... But it still doesn't work. 

He is on a band trip this weekend so I also thought I would use Google maps share location as a back up... But that didn't work either. 

Can someone please tell me what we are doing wrong or why his phone doesn't work with either one of these?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Samsung phones are among the finest.  Motorola phones are also extremely good at connecting to the cell towers. (Everyone in our house is now on Motorola Moto phones, but in the past we have had Samsungs and we have great respect for their phones).

Is the GPS set to high accuracy?     WiFi and Data are both turned on?

Android phones are designed to work on WiFi if it is available, and if WiFi isn't available, they should work on Data automatically.

I would message Tech Support for the App and ask them to help you solve this mystery.

You may also want to search on YouTube for videos showing how to configure and use Life360.

4 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Samsung phones are among the finest.  Motorola phones are also extremely good at connecting to the cell towers. (Everyone in our house is now on Motorola Moto phones, but in the past we have had Samsungs and we have great respect for their phones).

Is the GPS set to high accuracy?     WiFi and Data are both turned on?

Android phones are designed to work on WiFi if it is available, and if WiFi isn't available, they should work on Data automatically.

I would message Tech Support for the App and ask them to help you solve this mystery.

You may also want to search on YouTube for videos showing how to configure and use Life360.

I believe it is set to high accuracy. Both wifi and data are turned on.  I did message tech support...havent' heard back...I also searched you tube for videos...I learned some new things...but nothing about my issue...thanks Lanny...I figured you would chime in at some point...guess we will keep playing with it...or trying new apps...or something.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kfeusse said:

why do you think Find a Friend will be any different since both Life 360 and Google maps didn't work? Not saying that it won't...just wondering why it might work. 

I guess because we've had good experience with it?  My mother and I have it, and this way I can check on her whereabouts if I'm worried about her.  (She is 90.)

1 hour ago, kfeusse said:

I believe it is set to high accuracy. Both wifi and data are turned on.  I did message tech support...havent' heard back...I also searched you tube for videos...I learned some new things...but nothing about my issue...thanks Lanny...I figured you would chime in at some point...guess we will keep playing with it...or trying new apps...or something.  

You are welcome. Usually it takes a day or 2 when I contact Tech Support about something and frequently they are on the other side of the world in a time zone much different that ours (E.S.T.)    

I have tried what you are trying to do a few times, without asking my wife or DD to install another App, so they would know where I am.   I think the best one is the Taxi App that I use a few times a year and I can share my route with them and they know what taxi I am in and when the ride terminates and other attempts to report my location to them have not been so successful.

I believe this takes some practice, some time, and some patience to get everything working properly. tons of people have those apps installed on their phones so I assume they work.   

You have a great brand in a Samsung phone. A neighbor we are friendly with is an Electronic Engineer and has worked for a cell provider for many years. He told me a few years ago that the Samsungs and Motorolas connect best to their towers. Usually he buys a Motorola, but occasionally he will spend more $ and buy a Samsung.