Menu

I think I had a brilliant idea! Tell me if this exists.

Ginevra

I’m being facetious. 😂 But I did realize what might be a solution to a small, yet maddening problem in my vegetable garden every year. 

I grow many of my own plants from seed and I’m always trying to figure out an effective yet inexpensive way to label and keep track of the varieties. I have written on craft sticks, but they soon “disappear” once the tomatoes or peppers get tall. I think they decompose or something. Anyway, the disappear. Sometimes I use plastic sticks, but they get a but pricey and it bugs me to then have dirty plastic sticks all over the garden. And they still tend to get buried in foliage such that I can really find them, either. 

But! What if I make a little cardstock tag, laminate it, and attach it with a twist-tie or string to the top of the tomato cages? This would work, no? 

I think you'd have to use really thick laminating material to get it to last all season, but I do think it's a good idea!

I use those plastic sticks- each season I pull them all up, scrub them, and then I am able to re-use them the following year.  I've started using the super long six inch ones and I love them!  They're so long they never get lost under the foliage at all. 

But, you got me thinking... some of those plastic labels already have holes in them.  Stringing them up and hanging them on the cages would be a great idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Mkono-Plastic-Labels-Greenhouse-Supplies/dp/B06XPCW7PK/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=plastic+garden+labels&qid=1553296857&s=gateway&sr=8-9

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I think you'd have to use really thick laminating material to get it to last all season, but I do think it's a good idea!

I use those plastic sticks- each season I pull them all up, scrub them, and then I am able to re-use them the following year.  I've started using the super long six inch ones and I love them!  They're so long they never get lost under the foliage at all. 

But, you got me thinking... some of those plastic labels already have holes in them.  Stringing them up and hanging them on the cages would be a great idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Mkono-Plastic-Labels-Greenhouse-Supplies/dp/B06XPCW7PK/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=plastic+garden+labels&qid=1553296857&s=gateway&sr=8-9

I think this is the way to go! 

You probably don’t remember this but several years ago, you gave me several recommendations for tomatoe varieties you found to be good bearers. I just started my seeds today and I still think of you when I plant Arkansas Traveler, Pantano Romanesco and Cosmonaut Volkov. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quill said:

You probably don’t remember this but several years ago, you gave me several recommendations for tomatoe varieties you found to be good bearers. I just started my seeds today and I still think of you when I plant Arkansas Traveler, Pantano Romanesco and Cosmonaut Volkov. 

Cosmonot Volkov is the only non cherry size tomato I plant...  they haven’t borne well for us, but flavor has been excellent! 

I love the idea of variety tags placed high.  

I have tried labeler labels (like Brother) which give sticky back that can be wound onto a stick... with mixed results...  I guess that too could be put on tomato cage.  

Though only planting only one variety of cherry tomato, one of bigger cuts down confusion.  

I have that problem sometimes with lettuce, spinach, types of basil though.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, happi duck said:

You could also use different colors of ribbon and keep the "key" inside the house.

I have done something like this before, indicating the varieties on my graph paper plan. 

• Like 2

We purchased an old mini-blind at a garage sale for $1. We pulled out the 1" white plastic slats, cut them to an appropriate length, write on them with sharpies. You'll have to rewrite or use new ones each year, but it works. You get a lot of marker material for cheap. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Quill said:

:wub:  Awe, this is so awesome!  And those are still good varieties.  🙂  I'm always looking for new ones, but the old faithful varieties are always such a treat.

• Like 1