Menu

Help me be an adult. Telling someone I'm backing out...

ksr5377

Long story short, I verbally committed to something about a month ago.  Now the time has come to sign contracts and pay registration fees etc and I Just. Don't Want. To.  I'm full of anxiety over how to word the change in my decision while keeping it concise and avoiding rambling on and on.  I don't want to give openings for debate or to an attempt to change my mind.

The longer story is that I agonized over this decision and kind of talked myself into saying yes.  As soon as I made this verbal commitment my stomach sank. I have been thinking about all that it entails ever since and I have been DREADING it.  Not in a lazy, I'm-just-not-in-the-mood way.  Really dreading it.  It's something I have done in the past and took a year off from, I know exactly what is in involved.  I think I felt obligated in some way because I'm friends with this person.  I feel so shady like a flake about the whole thing but after sharing my feelings my husband is strongly urging me to apologize, but immediately let them know that it's not going to work.  Especially before paying deposits to register my kids.  

I think I need help wording it in a way that lets her know it has nothing to do with the people, it's just not the right thing for our family and that's it.  No reasons to give openings to a debate.  No way for her to jump in with how it IS right.  Does that make sense?  I know her well and if I give any reasons for my decision she'll jump in with a counter-argument.  

It's about teaching a class at a co-op as well as having my kids take classes there.  I don't know why I was so vague in the beginning.  I thought once I agreed to it that I would begin to be excited about planning for the new year. Unfortunately, I'm just so burnt out.  Even with this past year off its not enough. Honestly, I don't know that it's something I'll ever want to do again.  We've missed seeing our friends there every week but we've had a great year and have I have felt so much more relaxed and at peace.

Edited by ksr5377
  • Like 4

"Friend, I've been working on planning the upcoming season and trying to make everything fit.  I have come to the realization that our participation in the co-op is unfortunately not going to work out this year.  I am so sorry that I did not realize this when I talked to you about this last ___.  But it cannot be helped, and I need to let you know now so that you have time to adjust or find another person.  I wish you all the best with the co-op next season."

• Like 31

"I am so sorry, but after giving it more thought, I've realized that co-op is just not going to work for our family this year. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. I wish you all the best as you prepare for the upcoming year and look forward to seeing you [at church, at x-activity, etc.]."

• Like 7

Yup! Copy SKL's wording, paste it into an email, hit SEND. Do it tonight. Be done and move on without guilt. Life is short.

(as a leader-of-many-things, I would MUCH prefer to get the above email sent in a timely fashion vs. an angst-ridden, tortured-over email weeks later, leaving me short on time to find someone else to do The Thing that needed done. Just send it and move on with life. She'll understand and move on with life as well. It's all good. Just send it now and don't wait any longer)

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 16

3 hours ago, ksr5377 said:

I think I need help wording it in a way that lets her know it has nothing to do with the people, it's just not the right thing for our family and that's it.  No reasons to give openings to a debate.  No way for her to jump in with how it IS right.  Does that make sense?  I know her well and if I give any reasons for my decision she'll jump in with a counter-argument.  

It's about teaching a class at a co-op as well as having my kids take classes there.  I don't know why I was so vague in the beginning.  I thought once I agreed to it that I would begin to be excited about planning for the new year. Unfortunately, I'm just so burnt out.  Even with this past year off its not enough. Honestly, I don't know that it's something I'll ever want to do again.  We've missed seeing our friends there every week but we've had a great year and have I have felt so much more relaxed and at peace.

Don't beat yourself up.  I have backed out on this exact thing.  I said I would do ABC for a co-op.  The co-op agreed to ABC and then added on more responsibility than I wanted to take on.  I wrote them and said "I'm so sorry, but after reviewing my schedule, I am not going to be able to participate in Acme Homeschool Co-op like we discussed on XYZ date".  

If your friend presses you for reasons, you can simply state "This just works best for my family right now".  Remind yourself that there really isn't anything to debate on the topic.  The co-op isn't going to work right now.  Why? It just isn't going to.  But whyyyyyy? "This just works best for us right now".  Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Like 3

Don't over explain. Obviously you value this person's friendship, so SOME explanation is appropriate. But a simple, "After much consideration (and prayer, if that is appropriate), my husband and I (harder to argue with a joint decision) have decided that the co-op is not the right fit for us next year. I know I said I would join and I'm sorry to back out. I will miss meeting with everyone. I hope you all have a wonderful and productive year." Then if there are any supplies or teacher books or whatever, let her know you'll bring that to her.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SKL said:

"Friend, I've been working on planning the upcoming season and trying to make everything fit.  I have come to the realization that our participation in the co-op is unfortunately not going to work out this year.  I am so sorry that I did not realize this when I talked to you about this last ___.  But it cannot be helped, and I need to let you know now so that you have time to adjust or find another person.  I wish you all the best with the co-op next season."

I'm so copying and saving this. It's perfect.

SKL's response is great. If you don't know them that well, I'd leave it at that - professional. If it's a friend and you want to be more personal, I think it's okay to say some of the things you said here. You're feeling burned out and you need to manage that. You feel guilty, you know it may put them in a difficult spot. You can say something nice about your friend or her group as well. It really is you, not them. 

For future reference, remember that's it's easier to automatically say no and then change your mind after thinking about it than it is to say yes and then change your mind.  You might want to get some ideas for how to say no, memorize them, and practice them out loud with someone until they feel more natural.  This is a good skill to teach your kids too, by the way.   If you'd rather, you could practice variations on I'll think about it and answer later but for some people that's just a way to spend time talking themselves into it, which based on your original post, might be your tendency.  Either way, be prepared.