Menu

Book BINGO at the library

kfeusse

I am the librarian of a small library and every year in conjunction with our town's Easter Egg hunt, the library offers a book BINGO afterward.  This year I wanted to try and come up with Book BINGO with a twist (to change it up and make it more exciting)...but I can't seem to find a twist...can any of you creative moms help me?  In case you don't know what a book BINGO is, basically it's playing BINGO and when you get a BINGO you get to pick a book from the table of books that we purchased.  So if any of you have any ideas for me...please share!!  Thanks. The ages for this is probably about grade 4 or 5 on down. (mostly 2nd and 3rd graders)

thanks. 

I'm not sure which part you want to make more exciting, but you could make your own bingo cards? Popular protagonists in one column, antagonists in another, animals, magical items, etc. I did this for Latin one it was painful to maybe, but fun.

Maybe you could get one of those plastic chicken toys that "poop" jelly beans, and then play a version of cow pie bingo - whenever a black jelly bean comes out that is the bingo call.

So, your Book BINGO is really just a regular BINGO game - you call out B12, N41, stuff like that? 

I have several ideas - but it would depend if the kids were readers and familiar with books.

Have most popular book titles in the bingo squares - the clues (B12, N41) are the first lines to each book - or maybe use nursery rhymes? Or maybe the clues are the name of the title character (Clifford, etc)? Or maybe the clues are more generic (although this would be hard to keep track of) - like This book has a main character that is a dog? 

Does it have to be BINGO? could you change that up to book name scavenger hunt? I am assuming the library has posters of various popular books on the wall - or maybe painted scenes from books. Have a list of 10 generic questions and have the kids write down a book title that answers the question? Like - this was a story about a dragon (lots of possible answers), Or In the story the monkey always gets into trouble? It might be hard to grade. If you wanted to limit the books you give away, only the top five finishers get a book. 

I think you are talking about a bingo- like game where kids read different things and if they complete a square then mark it to make a row. So they squares might have things like, Read a book with a color in the title, Read a book set in a foreign country, Read a book with a bear as a character....Am I correct? 

Maybe your twist could be something like each square has a letter and a row will spell out a word (scrambled). Unscramble the word to win...fine abatement? A cool library pencil?....

Or...let's see...

Blackout (completing the card) could win a totebag? The twist could be, not only win a book for completing a row, but win something else for also...blackout, or 4 corners, or two rows (have to do the row AND the other thing to get the second prize).

or

Maybe all winners entered into a drawing?

Idk. It's 3:19am. That's all I've got. 😂

OH I SEE--TOTALLY MISREAD. IT REALLY IS JUST A BINGO GAME. LOL

Edited by Chris in VA

Oh, our library did Book Bingo for the Adults last year . . . & I can't find my copy . . . but it was a great idea.

What was funny was that I'm an avid reader & the categories were absolutely CHALLENGING.

Some that I remember = Read a book written more than 100 years ago, Book written by an author with some VERY specific nationality, Book with a specific color predominantly on the cover.

They did have some examples on display, with a nice post-it note pointing out which category it satisfied.

Wow.  Apparently, it's a Thing on the Internet as well!  🙂

Thanks for organizing this!

ETA = I'm sorry that I completely misread your request!  Thanks for working on this for the library!  🙂🙂

Edited by Beth S

I must not have explained myself very well...this is simply a time where kids play regular BINGO and when they get 5 in a row, or 4 corners or blackout, they get to pick a book from the table.  And then we go on until the next kids does the same thing.  I was just looking for a way to jazz it up a bit...I just don't know how.  It's a game that is supposed to last 30 minutes or so...maybe 45.  then we are done.  

thanks.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Beth S said:

Oh, our library did Book Bingo for the Adults last year . . . & I can't find my copy . . . but it was a great idea.

What was funny was that I'm an avid reader & the categories were absolutely CHALLENGING.

Some that I remember = Read a book written more than 100 years ago, Book written by an author with some VERY specific nationality, Book with a specific color predominantly on the cover.

They did have some examples on display, with a nice post-it note pointing out which category it satisfied.

Wow.  Apparently, it's a Thing on the Internet as well!  🙂

Thanks for organizing this!

I think the book a week thread people on the forum do this.  I’ve never been able to keep up though.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think the book a week thread people on the forum do this.  I’ve never been able to keep up though.

@Robin M designs a Bingo card for Book a Week each year.  A link for this year’s on her blog http://www.read52booksin52weeks.com/p/2019-52-books-bingo-something-old.html Sometimes she highlights some of the harder squares in the weekly introduction......for instance borrowing a book from Overdrive works for the “something borrowed” this year.  There are also several other ways to fill that square. 😉  I believe we have a couple of children of BaWers playing this year too.

The only thing I can think of for a quick Bingo would be to do it as a quiz and have them write the answer in the square.  Right answers lining up and counting towards a Bingo at the end.......maybe have quiz teams........So something like “the name of the magic school in the Harry Potter books” and they write Hogwarts in that box.  Maybe design a couple of hopefully easy Bingo’s into the card..........

• Like 1

So this is normal bingo where getting bingo=pick a book as a prize...correct?

Maybe you could make a card for each book title and at the end draw a title and the person that picked that book wins an extra prize like a dvd of a movie based on a book.   Or maybe randomly numbering the books might be easier and then picking a number.

Edited by happi duck

I've used this bingo card generator many times: https://eslactivities.com/old/picturebingo.php

You select the number of rows and columns you want and then upload any pictures you want for the spaces. Maybe you could use pictures of favorite picture book characters? Curious George, Clifford, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, etc.? You can save and print as many cards as you need and it will of course automatically randomize which pictures go on which cards and where. 

On the same site, they have a text-based bingo card generator as well. You could use library-related words instead of pictures.

Bingo for books sounds like my kind of game!!! 🙂 

So, regular bingo then pick a book. OK, what if the books were in plain envelopes with 3 or 4 descriptive words written on the outside (mystery, action!, animals, underpants, magic, etc). You could have a modest pile for trading out if they didn't like what they ended up with. So it is really "pick a book", but disguised as something more risky.

Are you wanting a kids version of book bingo? If so, here are some quick ideas -

Caldecott or Newberry winner, or a square for both
Squares for specific book series or characters
Read to a younger sibling (or other child if they don't have a younger sib)

Oh, I was trying to come up with ideas and did a search for children's book bingo and it came up with a lot. Images is the best way to get ideas. You could do book bingo, reading bingo, or both. Reading bingo is more about when and how you read than about specific books/stories. Don't forget to add a free space too. I'm not sure how you can add a twist to it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=children's+book+bingo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjgvL-KjZbhAhXDmuAKHdWZAywQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=760

Edited by Lady Florida.