Menu

Facebook: NEVERMIND

Ginevra

NEVERMIND. Mystery solved. Dd did it for college. 

So, I’m not really sure what I’m talking about in tech terms - maybe this is a hack? But this morning, dh asked me, “Who is James Charles? Is this your friend?” Because this FB person by that name has re-posted a bunch of my pictures and a bunch of my daughter’s pictures. I investigate. (No, I have no idea who this is; it appears to be a male/transgender beauty blogger.) But he displays as a friend on dh’s list, my list, and purported shares a bunch of friends with us, mainly other people with our last name or other relatives. On my FB, I unfriended and blocked. On dh’s list, I unfriended (but I forgot to block and I was not able to find blocking - long story; dh does not use the mobile app, just the browser interface, so it’s confusing to me.) 

I do know my dd sometimes follows or likes beauty vloggers and it would not be surprising to me if she did follow or “like” this person. But HOW did he infiltrate our friends lists? 

Edited by Quill

I would think that it could be someone who changed their name - I have friends who have changed their FB names - sometimes they start with their full name and later remove (or change) their last name, other times they start with a variation of their name, and then change it to their real name. I find this confusing and wish they would send a message to all their friends letting them know. I couldn't figure out who one friend was until I went and looked at their feed on their profile. 

But it was someone you accepted the friend request from. Sometimes I have a bunch of friend requests come in - and you have to be careful and accept one and then wait for the screen update or if you just click on the next name - it might not really be that next name but the one slightly under it - and you have just accepted someone as a friend that you didn't realize. 

Did the person share the photos or did they save the photos from your feed and then repost them? If they just shared the photos, then you need to increase your privacy settings. (BTW, I hate that when relatives share your photos to show all their friends your kids). Saving and reposting them -I'd report those photos to FB. Unfortunately, there is no way that I know of to stop people from doing this. 

I'd probably unblock on my profile and go examine his feed and see if you can figure out who he is. 

I know lots of people don't like FB and believe they will do all sorts of bad things, but I do not believe they are adding people to anyone's friend list with the individual agreeing to it somehow. I could be wrong, but that doesn't make any sense. 

34 minutes ago, soror said:

I'm so curious now as what the heck happened. I know James Charles is an uber famous beauty vlogger, what does that have to do with school!!! Inquiring minds!

It has something to do with a senior prank at her college. Since she is a senior, she has to hide her trail so she doesn’t get “victimized” in whatever the prank is. I don’t really get it. But I was honestly pretty ticked off. 

I don’t even know, from a tech standpoint, how it is possible to do what she did. There were posts she recently put up, but the photos were of James Charles. So, for example, if she for real on her own wall had recently posted a photo of her and her friend at a famous restaurant and the quote, “Hanging with my bestie!” The post was still there, but the picture was of James Charles with a friend. 

🤷🏻‍♀️