Menu

Salaried position and time off

4everHis

On 3/23/2019 at 9:07 AM, KateUK said:

This is true for my husband also. He does occasionally go into the office early in the morning for an hour or two before a trip to count one less vacation day, but he routinely works a 60+ hour week, not counting all the work he does on weekends etc., so his employer definitely gets the better “deal” in this situation, even counting the few times he’s worked short days. 

PS. Long, long time lurker, occasional poster when I have actual knowledge on a subject to help, but had to change user name. 

I see the difference when there is a lot of travel involved. This particular position= -5% travel. You mentioned again something that I have always seen in salaried positions-a high percentage of over 40 hour weeks.  Yes, some shorter days over the year but mostly not. We want to word the policy in such a way that the job gets done,  most hours at the office(public related job) vs remote. Before current person/generation this position was in the office consistent, regular hours M-F.  Again, we don't want to be dinosaurs but change for the sake of change isn't on our agenda either. We're in the process of updating our policy manual, trying to plan for the future and cover bases, being general and specific. 😃  

On 3/20/2019 at 6:44 PM, BlueGables said:

I hope I'm giving a clear version of this scenario. 

Salaried position with (X) vacation weeks, (X) sick days and (X) personal days, all generous and up to recent standards. This salaried position heard from an accountant outside this particular business that if a salaried person came to work and within minutes threw up and went home,  they could still call that a day of work. Come in for few hours but spend rest of day at doctor appt or taking relative to doctors appt., still a day of work. What would be a 'reasonable' amount of times this 'rule' (or version of this kind of day) could be played out? Is this a standard policy? When would it be seen as breaking the "spirit of the law?"

At dh's work it's 4 hours. If you're there for 4 hours you worked a day. I can't remember exactly how it worked when I was a teacher but it was similar. 

• Like 1