Menu

? Arabic online LIVE dual enrollment/ college classes

Anyone know of a dual enrollment option for Arabic that has many levels that meets live?  My son has taken online Arabic with Potters School  for a couple of years now, but wants to start college courses his junior year.  We met with an Arabic college professor today and was very impressed with his ability and was allowing him to skip a couple courses to where he could begin in his class but they only offer two courses and then we are not sure where to go after that.  We would hate to skip around too much.  We are looking for an online option that is live not self paced...he wants to really learn it well.  Thanks for any ideas!!  We have exhausted our efforts in our area with nothing locally. 😞

My son did Potters for Arabic I & II and has loved his teacher there...considering on staying on but if we could get college credit starting in 11th it would be a plus.  My son met with the professor at our community college and was very impressed with where he was at and stated he could skip the intro class.  Wish we could work out our times or find a place closer. 

This is not an online option, but a good learning model suggestion -- would the college prof be available to tutor your child? 

That is the option we chose for dd due to similar scheduling issues, and it worked great. We met with her tutor twice a week for an hour. She completed Arabic 1 through Arabic 4 at the college level with the same prof. It was awesome.

Both. If DD had gone to a university/college in our state system, her Arabic would have counted for DE credit. 

She is at a service academy and took a validation exam prior to her freshman year, which allowed her to be placed in high level courses and obtain her minor quite quickly.

If you have detailed questions, please feel free to pm me!

4 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Not Arabic, but my Dd studied Russian with a private tutor all the way through high school. When she went to college, the dept gave her a placement exam and she started in 400 level Russian.

Thanks for your response...how often did your child meet with the instructor?  Did they have set things for them to study or a plan for them during their off days? 

11 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Not Arabic, but my Dd studied Russian with a private tutor all the way through high school. When she went to college, the dept gave her a placement exam and she started in 400 level Russian.

@8FillTheHeart (Butting into someone else thread, forgive me). Starting at a 400 level, is your DD finding sufficient classes to be able to major or even minor in Russian? I think we will have this problem with French if DS goes that way. 

2 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

@8FillTheHeart (Butting into someone else thread, forgive me). Starting at a 400 level, is your DD finding sufficient classes to be able to major or even minor in Russian? I think we will have this problem with French if DS goes that way. 

No problem, and good point!  I think we are just going to stick with where he is...she has been great with him and said she'd tutor him until he went off to college. 

8 hours ago, madteaparty said:

We had to specifically search for schools where it wasn't going to be an issue.  She started off emailing depts.  After she eliminated schools bc of coursework, we planned visits to depts that seemed a possible fit.. We visited a LOT of depts. French was an even bigger issue for her b/c of her level of French at the end of high school. For example, UAH's French dept told her not to come there b/c they had nothing to offer her. (Really disappointed her b/c she really like it.) 

She is super excited right now b/c one of her professors has offered to teach a group of students Georgian.  🙂 

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Thanks 1