Menu

Derek Owens, Jann or Dr D Math for Pre Alg and Alg?

Who do you like best and why? Taken these classes? Please chime in.

Would really love to find just ONE and stick with them all the way thru for online classes.

1. Rigorous Enough?

We are working thru Lial's Pre-Alg for both my 6th and 7th grader now and it's gone extremely well.

I LOVE Algebra, but don't want to teach it.

I'm looking at these 3 options for the fall, and would LOVE input from those who have taken these classes.

Derek Owens grades the papers, I've read great things here in the past about Jann, and had Dr D recommended locally on my FB group and I don't know anything good about that one.

I like that Derek also has science options, but there's no reason why we couldn't JUST take science from him if we wanted. . .

Thanks for your input!

Have another one that rocks I didn't list, please share it.

Videotext Alg was recommended by my local HS store, but it's $600 and I don't know much else about it.

Ds is doing DO algebra with the option where i do the grading which makes it ½ price.  It's going well, although he has fallen behind schedule, so I guess I handed that too far off. On the plus side there will be less time to forget things over summer break... DS does done with the video class.

Dd is using Jann's pre-a class. Costs more, but thanks to the live instructor she is right on schedule! She needed a live, not-me instructor. It was important to put some distance between us on math. 

I can assist in these classes, but being in charge of teaching them was not the right solution for us. I plan for both dc to continue with their respective providers next year. They are both good, just a slightly different presentation.

I've heard one person say they didn't care for DO's geometry, but there was no particular reason given, so I'm going to just keep on going.

I haven't taken any of those three but I've been researching Mr. D and DO. From reviews and samples, it seems like DO is a bit more rigorous than Mr. D. I did like that Mr. D is live, although that is only once a week. Mr. D offers twice a week tutoring live online for students and he allows students to turn in a lesson 3x before the grade is final. His philosophy is he wants kids to master the concept and they won't master it if they just take a test or assignment and don't go back to understand why they've missed problems. DO has more classes available than Mr. D so if you want to stick with him you can go farther. We ended up going with Mr. D since my daughter is taking an online physics course at the same time and I didn't want to overwhelm her. If she wasn't taking the physics I probably would have chosen DO. She is interested in engineering so she will need strong math skills. There are really good reviews on the quality of instruction from both DO and Mr. D. 

We did a bit of Mr. D geometry when travelling, fell behind on live aspect of it because of the time difference but DS competed the various modules.

I’ve realized (really late I guess), you really need to know well how your student learns. Because watching videos online, live or otherwise doesn’t really work for mine. He’d just tune out. Now DO by design demands you work in the notebook while you go along. I’m using alg2 to supplement a live class than I don’t think it’s rigorous enough and I will say I was correct about that 😉  we plan to use DO exclusively for precalc next year

My dd is taking Mr. D Algebra 1 this year. I posted many times and spent many hours deliberating DO vs. Mr. D.... In the end I think DO is probably a little more rigorous, but my dd LOVES Mr. D. Math. She is not a math superstar, but she is getting an A in the class, is diligently working through the course, and stays on track with the assignments and live class once a week. It is also easy for me to navigate to see what she has and hasn't done so that is a win as well. We have been so please with it that I signed ds up for Mr. D prealgebra next year. Honestly, he is probably headed more into a STEM field and I considered DO for him, but the discount and good experience with Mr. D pushed us over that decision ledge. 

My daughters took Mr. D Math for 2 years and we switched to Derek Owens this year.  We loved Mr. D, because it was fun and moved quickly but we wanted to try more rigorous math program .  My 13 year old is taking Geometry and my 15 year old is taking Algebra II honors this year with DO.  We prefer the Algebra II to the Geometry because the Algebra seems more focused while the Geometry has some busy work (according to our 13 year old, and my husband).  DO allows testing for mastery if the student wants one extra try to improve a grade on a test.  Our girls use it from time to time.  The self-paced works well for us so we plan in vacations and either work ahead or play catch up after.  DO provides nice workbooks that track well with the lessons and homework.  Last thing that's worth mentioning, DO puts in SAT problems throughout the year in both courses, which we think is great.  I hope that helps!

15 hours ago, michelleathome said:

My daughters took Mr. D Math for 2 years and we switched to Derek Owens this year.  We loved Mr. D, because it was fun and moved quickly but we wanted to try more rigorous math program .  My 13 year old is taking Geometry and my 15 year old is taking Algebra II honors this year with DO.  We prefer the Algebra II to the Geometry because the Algebra seems more focused while the Geometry has some busy work (according to our 13 year old, and my husband).  DO allows testing for mastery if the student wants one extra try to improve a grade on a test.  Our girls use it from time to time.  The self-paced works well for us so we plan in vacations and either work ahead or play catch up after.  DO provides nice workbooks that track well with the lessons and homework.  Last thing that's worth mentioning, DO puts in SAT problems throughout the year in both courses, which we think is great.  I hope that helps!

Thanks for your input! I am curious, how was it for  your child to switch to Algebra 2 with DO after doing Algebra 1 with Mr. D. Were they prepared? Do you find DO to be much more rigorous than Mr. D.?

I am ok with us not having the most rigorous, but I want to be sure it is "enough" and not behind in any way...

It's hard to remember how Algebra 2 started, because we had Geometry in the middle.  I've asked my daughter about DO and Algebra 2 and she says it started ok, not too fast, but it quickly picked up pace, probably within a month.  She felt prepared.  I think the answer about the rigor is yes:  DO is much more rigorous.  We feel it gives much more exposure to types of problems.  I will share my husband is a math guy and he is very impressed with the type of problems she sees in DO.  hope that helps.