Menu

Has anyone used Winter Promise lately?

I am looking at Adventures in Sea and Sky for my rising 5th grader.  I used WP a decade ago when it was similar to Sonlight.  You got an IG and a bunch of literature books.  Now it appears to be an IG and 4-6 Winter Promise original workbooks.  So there is no longer a literature portion, no piles of good literature to read for the year?

Wow. I have always loved the look of their sets. Considered Children Around the World for future, but not anymore. It seems you use all of their materials. You have the option of adding “Adventure Reading”, which is supplemental literature. 

I would also love to hear anyone’s current experience with these materials. 

23 hours ago, rjand6more said:

Lit books are scheduled in.  You can choose to use the library, buy elsewhere, or buy from them. 

Unfortunately, this is no longer true.  They used to have wonderful books scheduled. The only literature now is the ‘adventure reading” recommendation.  That is just a chapter book to supplement the lessons.  If you look at the samples, you’ll see that they’ve changed the teacher’s guides.  They only schedule Winter Promise resources.  The still schedule Bible resources (ex. Gospel Story Bible).  

They used to have awesome book lists.  We had American Story 1 a few years ago.  I used their schedule loosely as I didn’t feel it always made sense.  We did love the book lists though!

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Bay Lake Mom said:

Unfortunately, this is no longer true.  They used to have wonderful books scheduled. The only literature now is the ‘adventure reading” recommendation.  That is just a chapter book to supplement the lessons.  If you look at the samples, you’ll see that they’ve changed the teacher’s guides.  They only schedule Winter Promise resources.  The still schedule Bible resources (ex. Gospel Story Bible).  

They used to have awesome book lists.  We had American Story 1 a few years ago.  I used their schedule loosely as I didn’t feel it always made sense.  We did love the book lists though!

Ah.  I used CAW about 3 years ago and it was scheduled although we used our own. HA!

I loosely used the schedule and chose my own lit books according to my kids' reading levels.

Here is the response I got from Winter Promise:

That program still contains lots of additional reading and books inside of the program. There are a few of the books that we do not sell ourselves, but can be purchased by families. Here is a list of the components that are not ours.

The Wright Brothers for Kids

Galileo for Kids

Exploring the Solar System: A History

The New Ocean Book

The New Weather Book

The Kids' Book of Weather Forecasting

There are also the following books/resources scheduled:

Book of Flight

Planet Earth

Seabird

Dragons of the Deep

The Stars

ACTIVITY: Solar System Planetarium (Model)

Plus! Weekly Adventure Reading (Read-Alouds for the Family)