Menu

What's with the ads?

My son has used it; I thought it was a decent math program. Similar to Saxon—incremental and lots of review, so if your student doesn’t learn that way it won’t work. The geometry part was a little weak IMO. We had to supplement with another geometry book. My son placed in College Algebra at a local college after using Shorman Algebra II. He is a strong math student and I was surprised he did not place higher. Shorman claims you can pass CLEP after Algebra II but I am not so sure. I am glad he took Algebra II at the college though; it was a good review for him and it filled in the gaps. 

For my next children, we have decided to go with Unlock Math. They just started Algebra I and love it! The set up of the program is wonderful and we love that it shows on the screen only one exercise/problem at a time. The videos are high quality, concise and very clear, speaking directly to the student, versus a computer screen in Shormann. They are also shorter than Shorman’s. If they struggle with a concept, the computer generates another set of problems and records the highest grade. If they still struggle, there is a chat button to ask directly a certified math teacher!!! My kids thought that was so cool. The teacher answered immediately! 

I have asked before here about the scope and sequence and someone replied that they thought it is comparable to any rigorous algebra program. ( you can search here, it was only about a week ago)

I know you did not ask about another math program, but we are so excited to have found it and I had to share! 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for answering!  I did go ahead and buy the Shormann subscription and my son is two weeks into it.    I'm not so sure if it was the right choice or not, so only time will tell.  He really needs someone to hold his hand through math, but I'm not the one to do it and my husband is too busy, so this seemed like the next best thing after going through CLE math.  A friend of mine uses it with her son and has been very happy with the results, so I'm sure hoping for the best for my kid.

I will go ahead and look into Unlock Math, though.  I've never heard of that program.

On 9/7/2019 at 10:56 AM, blessedmom3 said:

My son has used it; I thought it was a decent math program. Similar to Saxon—incremental and lots of review, so if your student doesn’t learn that way it won’t work. The geometry part was a little weak IMO. We had to supplement with another geometry book. My son placed in College Algebra at a local college after using Shorman Algebra II. He is a strong math student and I was surprised he did not place higher. Shorman claims you can pass CLEP after Algebra II but I am not so sure. I am glad he took Algebra II at the college though; it was a good review for him and it filled in the gaps. 

For my next children, we have decided to go with Unlock Math. They just started Algebra I and love it! The set up of the program is wonderful and we love that it shows on the screen only one exercise/problem at a time. The videos are high quality, concise and very clear, speaking directly to the student, versus a computer screen in Shormann. They are also shorter than Shorman’s. If they struggle with a concept, the computer generates another set of problems and records the highest grade. If they still struggle, there is a chat button to ask directly a certified math teacher!!! My kids thought that was so cool. The teacher answered immediately! 

I have asked before here about the scope and sequence and someone replied that they thought it is comparable to any rigorous algebra program. ( you can search here, it was only about a week ago)

I know you did not ask about another math program, but we are so excited to have found it and I had to share! 

I appreciate the recommendation. I purchased Algebra I last year and was looking forward to it. 

Concision is not his strong point. I have a Kathy daughter who feels frustrated. 

On 9/7/2019 at 8:56 AM, blessedmom3 said:

thank you so much!  And thanks to the OP for starting this thread.  

We used Jacob's with Dr Callahan in Algebra 1 - found it rigorous and good but a little too teacher (me) intensive for grading and reteaching things that weren't clear to my DD.  Used CTC for Geometry and found out after a school year that it was lacking (compared to another program my other dd was taking at the time).  And now are having a struggle finding a fit for Algebra 2.   We're looking at Unlock now, comparing it to Dive videos.  Thank you! 🙂

7 hours ago, Pour in said:

thank you so much!  And thanks to the OP for starting this thread.  

We used Jacob's with Dr Callahan in Algebra 1 - found it rigorous and good but a little too teacher (me) intensive for grading and reteaching things that weren't clear to my DD.  Used CTC for Geometry and found out after a school year that it was lacking (compared to another program my other dd was taking at the time).  And now are having a struggle finding a fit for Algebra 2.   We're looking at Unlock now, comparing it to Dive videos.  Thank you! 🙂

I bought Jacob’s as well and thought it looked intensive for me. We still use & love Unlock Math! I am also pleasantly surprised that unlike other online math programs it incorporates higher order thinking skills and not just in the ‘challenge’ problems as they call them. They are mixed in the practice and stay sharp  sections among simpler, procedural,ones. For me it is easier to go in the kids’ accounts and check only what they did wrong and go over the mistakes to make sure they get it. The solutions are given to them right away  after they click submit, but I am afraid my kids (younger middle schoolers) will just skim through in a hurry without reading and trying to understand the solution. There are some minor issues that I hope they will fix in the future ( like if the student enters capital variable it is wrong— it has to be lowercase) but this is insignificant to the benefit of what it offers! Happy mom, happy kids finally, after I have a whole collections of Algebra textbooks 🙂