Menu

And my kids wonder why I tell them "obvious" stuff

goldenecho

Me (thinking, as I make breakfast): I should really throw away that bowl of flour we used to coat the chicken last night...someone could get into it.
Also Me (thinking): But really, now, who's gonna get into it??   The kids are old enough to....
AS I'M THINKING THIS, 10 year old walks up and randomly puts hand in flour (flour that he KNEW had chicken in it last night cause he helped me cook).

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Yup!  I know this has happened a billion times.  I remember one time where one kid was about 5 or so and playing with an old CD.  I said to DH, “You need to take that from him.  He’ll snap it in half and cut himself on it.”  DH was in the process of saying, “He’s only 5.  He’s not strong enough to....”  SNAP!  

Being a mom is like being in cat in a roomful of rocking chairs.  Gotta keep on your toes about *everything*.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

My dd was 13 and wanted to finish the last CD of her audio book in the parking lot at the library before we returned the CDs. So I let her. I said, "Be sure to lock the van when you get out."

She locked the van.

With the keys inside it.

"You never told me to take the keys out."

(As if it was MY fault"

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Garga said:

Yup!  I know this has happened a billion times.  I remember one time where one kid was about 5 or so and playing with an old CD.  I said to DH, “You need to take that from him.  He’ll snap it in half and cut himself on it.”  DH was in the process of saying, “He’s only 5.  He’s not strong enough to....”  SNAP!  

DD was a toddler and was walking around the living area (fully carpeted) holding a snow globe.  She headed past DH toward the kitchen.  "Don't let her go in the kitchen!"  "Why?"  Crash.  Snow globe explosion.  And yes, they do explode. 

When DD was about 10, she wanted to help carry groceries out of Walmart.  She took a bag that had eggs in it.  I see her walking rather carelessly, and say, "Be careful that bag has - "  Bag hits the ground.  

Sometimes you're just half a second behind....  It's so hard to stay ahead of them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here's one from this afternoon.

It's garbage day.  12yo walks home from school around 3:30.  I say "bring up the garbage can from the curb."  Kid cheerfully drags it up.  Yay! 

About 10 minutes later, I see the garbage truck coming down the street (obviously very late).  It becomes clear that the garbage can 12yo dragged up was still full of garbage.  Apparently I needed to tell my kid to confirm the bin was empty before dragging it away from the treelawn.

🤦‍♀️

• Haha 11

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

It's garbage day.  12yo walks home from school around 3:30.  I say "bring up the garbage can from the curb."  Kid cheerfully drags it up.  Yay! 

About 10 minutes later, I see the garbage truck coming down the street (obviously very late).  It becomes clear that the garbage can 12yo dragged up was still full of garbage.  Apparently I needed to tell my kid to confirm the bin was empty before dragging it away from the treelawn.

🤦‍♀️

I could so see my kids doing this!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goldenecho said:

I'm just wondering how many more years before common sense kicks in? 🙄😜

The problem is that it doesn’t kick in all at once.  So sometimes you warn them about obvious things, but *this* time they were on the ball and are now heartily offended that you apparently think they’re an utter moron.  

But then the next day, they slip back into doing something goofy.  

• Like 7

I'll never forget seeing my son tossing my car keys way up into the air outside, while walking, and telling him to stop. Instead of stopping he keeps doing it and says, "why, what could happen?"

He no sooner finished the question than the keys landed on the roof of the house. I told him that as a mom I know when something bad could happen, even when I don't know what it is. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 5

This reminds me of the time my sister, then 4yo, was jumping from one piece of furniture to another.  Much older sister (who was babysitting) said, "stop it, you're gonna break your arm."  The next second 4yo fell and broke her arm.

• Like 3

On 3/20/2019 at 2:56 PM, Garga said:

The problem is that it doesn’t kick in all at once.  So sometimes you warn them about obvious things, but *this* time they were on the ball and are now heartily offended that you apparently think they’re an utter moron.   

But then the next day, they slip back into doing something goofy.  

Yes, that is EXACTLY it!   The attitude about me telling them stuff.   I know it's just part of the stage but it gets me cause then sometimes I won't tell them stuff and find out I needed to.  So hard to know when to speak up and when not to at this stage. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 5:35 PM, SKL said:

🤦‍♀️

That happened here a few weeks ago!!!