Menu

Side hustle, work from home, other?

saraha

We are looking into finding something extra for me to do on the side, but not sure where to start with a lot of these online options.

Do you have a side hustle or work from home job? Care to share what companies or programs your work for?

Thanks!

VIPKID I work for VIPKID, you have to have a Bachelor's Degree and some experience working with kids (which as a hs mom qualifies you), the hours are early except the weekends. I've been with them for 7 months and make more than I thought I would, the kids are sweet and it has been a big help to us. I work in the mornings mostly before the girls get up, right now I work from 5:30-8:30/9, Mon- Sat.

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

for working at home - how self-disciplined are you?  can you shut yourself off from the rest of the house so you won't be disturbed?  will kids leave you alone when you're working?

there are options out there. I've a friend who was a res-agent for an airline and working from home was an option, but you absolutely couldn't be away from your phone while doing it.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

I teach at our local community college, which isn’t from home, but it has been in the past and could conceivably be again if I were to ever teach again for them online. 

I have 1 friend that teaches online for a local community college and one that works for the state virtual school.  

• Like 2

I've done the following: 

• Tutoring, teaching small group classes, helping students and parents with college admission.  
  • Writing part-time for the newspaper.
  • Landscaping - we did this as a family, about once a month. Landscaping is probably overstating it; we washed the outside windows, pulled weeds, cut back plants, cleared trash from the parking lot. Once or twice a year they would pay more to get a bigger job done, like applying the non-slip stuff to the pavement. You need to find businesses that are responsible for their own upkeep and need to look pretty good but not amazing, lol. They have to be smaller businesses, not corporations that require everyone who steps on the property to be licensed and insured for the specific job. Likewise, you can get indoor cleaning gigs from that type of business. 
  • Online scoring for standardized testing; all of the ones I have seen and worked for require a college degree but it can be in any field. I have a communications degree, writing experience, and experience teaching writing, but they keep giving me math, lol. If you pursue this and haven't been a teacher, you definitely want to highlight your homeschooling experience. Seasonal work. 
  • Babysit school kids on their days off. 

My dd used to do quite a bit of online tutoring with Chegg. Now she does something similar for her school in addition to her research assistant job, so she doesn't put as much time into Chegg. It actually pays more than her other jobs, $20/hr, but she needs the experience of the other work. The more available you are, the more likely it is that you will get work. You can do whatever while being available, you just have to check messages frequently and be ready to reply quickly. It also helps to have multiple subjects and a detailed profile. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, beaners said:

Is the internet better now than it used to be? It wasn't fast enough before for some of the streaming tutor stuff, but it might have gotten better. 

Don't spend any money on MLM stuff. 

(And hi!)

You are BACK!!!!!!!!!! It is so nice to see you!

• Like 1

I do not have a college degree, don't want to do an MLM, am a strong writer, self motivated and have kids old enough/busy enough to have time to work. I saw some sites that were for freelance writing but wanted to see what people could personally recommend.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:14 PM, saraha said:

We are looking into finding something extra for me to do on the side, but not sure where to start with a lot of these online options.

Do you have a side hustle or work from home job? Care to share what companies or programs your work for?

Thanks!

YEP!! Just started with VIP Kid. 30 days in and I’ve made $500 teaching 45, 30 min. English classes. 

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, beaners said:

Is the internet better now than it used to be? It wasn't fast enough before for some of the streaming tutor stuff, but it might have gotten better. 

Don't spend any money on MLM stuff. 

(And hi!)

HAHAHAHAHA........no the internet is NOT faster

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

YEP!! Just started with VIP Kid. 30 days in and I’ve made $500 teaching 45, 30 min. English classes. 

That is great and you started in the slowest time of the year!

I hit $1500 a month, I could make more if I wanted to work more, it is a definite boost to our budget. It takes some people time to get bookings but I got pretty lucky and it sounds like Sneezyone did too. It you don't mind the mornings it is a good gig, some kids are pains but I love most of my kids. You get to really know them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, soror said:

That is great and you started in the slowest time of the year!

I hit $1500 a month, I could make more if I wanted to work more, it is a definite boost to our budget. It takes some people time to get bookings but I got pretty lucky and it sounds like Sneezyone did too. It you don't mind the mornings it is a good gig, some kids are pains but I love most of my kids. You get to really know them.

I seriously love this job. I did get lucky (but, no joke, accepted and applied every tip known to man and woman) and am fully booked. I have about 35 slots/classes open each week, M-Sa, 7-10a and fill over 90%. I should be in the comma club next month. I’m excited to see what my final Mar. total will be.☺️

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I seriously love this job. I did get lucky (but, no joke, accepted and applied every tip known to man and woman) and am fully booked. I have about 35 slots/classes open each week, M-Sa, 7-10a and fill over 90%. I should be in the comma club next month. I’m excited to see what my final Mar. total will be.☺️

I work Mon- Sat too, for about 3 months or so at the beginning I worked 7 days a week, that was rough but the beginning of their school year they were giving incentives like crazy, even better than they are doing now. I'm doing about 38 classes a week now. You have a sweet time zone if you don't like mornings. I start at 5:30 or 6. I was starting at 5 before the time change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1