Menu

another PSA/Update on dog food and Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Update :  tripe for my dog seemed to be acquired taste, but now is a favorite food.  

Pouring rain is making raw feeding especially tripe hard, if anyone has ideas for that .  Very best with tripe if it’s not pouring is a grassy area. Semi acceptable is a covered porch, but dog drags the tripe here and there off the (admittedly not very comfortable) large,  disposable piece of cardboard I would like him to use. 

I’ve not managed to do elimination test diet to determine allergy provokers yet, however.  

BUT, it looks like, his foot chewing is hugely reduced.  

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think probably everybody (general everybody, not just this board) should take a deep breath and chill. That article is almost four months old. So not exactly breaking news. I personally do

Before putting in something else to make it more appealing I may let the cat get interested-sometimes he will eat if he thinks he’s going to lose out to the cat.  And the cat eats pretty much anything

I wonder - how much of what we are seeing in our pets is due to domestication and selective breeding? Many dog breeds we see today are so far removed from their ancestors they have practically nothing

Posted Images

4 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Well, Bil-Jac won't work for the allergy dog.  She started itching and chewing her feet.  But it has chicken and we haven't given her lots of chicken since switching her when she lost her hair (she does fine with eggs and some occasional chicken that we have leftover).  Neither dog really seem to love Bil-Jac, anyway.  She walked away from it but would go back and eat slowly, he took a few minutes to start, but with a bit of something he likes mixed in, will at least eat it.

So I guess I will keep looking, feeding her raw while doing so.

FWIW -- If your dog is like the majority of allergy dogs and reacts to MANY things, then It can be particularly difficult to correctly identify food allergens this time of the year. Pollen certainly complicates things. I learned all about false positives in that regard one time when doing a 12-week food allergy elimination diet with a dog. We started right near the end of February/first of March, which is really a bad time (at least in my area) to start an elimination diet if you want to be able to "see" anything remotely resembling accurate results. We finally gave up on that and had testing done.

• Like 1
On 3/26/2019 at 8:08 AM, TarynB said:

Serious question for those of you who feed your dogs raw:

What about e. coli, salmonella, parasites?  I read previously, when thinking about going raw, that modern domesticated dogs have lost the ability to maintain the beneficial gut flora needed to counteract e. coli, etc.

Thoughts?

I am not allowed to feed raw meat diets to any pets because of all the immunosuppressants I am on.  it is a super bad idea if anyone is on biologics, steroids, cancer treatments, had an organ transplant, etc.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Pen said:

As another person with an allergy dog, I’m wondering what raw foods you’re using?

Since we don't feed ONLY raw, just stick to majority beef, we use raw beef and mix it with honest kitchen dehydrated topper.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

FWIW -- If your dog is like the majority of allergy dogs and reacts to MANY things, then It can be particularly difficult to correctly identify food allergens this time of the year. Pollen certainly complicates things. I learned all about false positives in that regard one time when doing a 12-week food allergy elimination diet with a dog. We started right near the end of February/first of March, which is really a bad time (at least in my area) to start an elimination diet if you want to be able to "see" anything remotely resembling accurate results. We finally gave up on that and had testing done.

Yes, good point.  This dog has had pollen allergies, also.   Although this particular trial she started symptoms within two meals and stopped almost immediately after stopping the food.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I am not allowed to feed raw meat diets to any pets because of all the immunosuppressants I am on.  it is a super bad idea if anyone is on biologics, steroids, cancer treatments, had an organ transplant, etc.

Do you also have to avoid starting with raw food for people?   Buy everything already cooked?

4 minutes ago, Pen said:

Do you also have to avoid starting with raw food for people?   Buy everything already cooked?

I think the difference is that you can contain the raw meat exposure to a cutting board/kitchen as opposed to on the dog's face/fur which then gets rubbed on random surfaces throughout the house. Plus the dog then has the bacteria in their mouth and might lick you, your hands, furniture, etc etc etc. Or they use their paw to steady the bone as they chew it, and then touch surfaces in the house with their paws. Lots more potential exposure than if you take raw meat from the package, put it in a pan, throw away the package and wash your hands. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pen said:

No.  That is not necessary at all.  But I do not serve things or eat sushi, or any other raw seafood or meat.   And I was very careful about correct food handling ever since I started cooking as a teen.  But the issue with raw food for dogs and cats is that it is raw meat or seafood that they eat-- not something like raw carrots.  And while a lot of the food bacteria like e. coli, etc, do not affect them like they do us, they can still spread e coli with their saliva, etc  

I also do not do petting zoos anymore.

• Like 1