Menu

Amazon and Returns

goldberry

I read an article that said Amazon is terminating some accounts for excessive returns.  But some people said they had 2 or 3 returns in 6 months, which does not seem that excessive.  Other people said they always gave reasons for their returns, and then got a somewhat threatening email asking why do you have so many returns?  

When you order clothes or shoes online, why would it be unusual to have a few returns?  Doesn't that just go along with ordering shoes or clothes online?  For example, I recently bought some lounge sets for my mom.  Sometimes she is a small, sometimes an XS.  So I bought both so I could see them and then return one.   Seems ridiculous they would expect differently in an online environment.

For clothes etc if you get Prime and use the Prime Wardrobe option, they expect returns.

Even not using that option I have not had threatening emails.  Maybe it is triggered by number of returns per number of items kept ratio.  Maybe I just have yet to encounter it.  

My son told me that Amazon keeps track of both complaints and returns and will delete your account if there are too many.  He's really careful because of that.  I don't return much but I do complain a lot - mostly because my orders don't get shipped (happening right now) and I'm assured by customer service they are on their way and they don't show up.  It makes me so mad.

I know a guy who is a manager at a returns center. He hasn’t talked about quantity of returns being a problem unless it was fraud type of deal. He has some pretty crazy stories but a common scheme is to buy electronics such as an iPad. Remove the iPad and fill the box with junk like used batteries, making sure it weighs the same, and then shrink wrapping the box before returning it. One woman didn’t quite get the weight right so they investigated further and learned she had also bought a shrink wrap machine within the last few months. Her account was suspended. He said things like that happen with a fair amount of regularity. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I have a doll waiting to be returned! I wonder if they will cancel my account. I order a ton though them so there have been a few returns. Like a winter coat for my daughter that was too small. I tell you, she is only 44 pounds and this coat was in size 7/8 and yet, it fit her perfectly, as in, if she gained one pound, it would not fit. And I recently bought it so it was only the end of the season. I sent it back and ordered a bigger size because I still liked the coat.

I'm occasionally worried about this because of the clothes issue. It is tough to get the right size because different manufacturers have different size charts and the ones on the website don't always match reality.

I have a pair of shorts for my kid that need to go back. Two others (different styles & sizes) just went back last week. My returns ebb & flow based on what I'm ordering.

I think they would lose a lot of business if they cancel my account, but it could happen.

Uh oh.  Historically I have not returned much, but that was more because I couldn't get it together on time.  Just this month I have returned 2 things:  one because I hated it after seeing it (a summer review booklet, really poorly done); one because I didn't realize I already had it.  Back in November I also returned a couple shirts because they were too big (despite being the "right size" per size chart). 

Oh, and a few weeks ago, the delivery guy returned my furniture because he says I refused it, which I did not.  I think he went to the wrong house.  I explained it, but with all the robots running Amazon, who knows how that will figure in.

So I guess I'm on the bad list now.  😕

Edited by SKL

My guess is it has to do with the ratio of dollars of merchandise purchased vs. dollars returned.  Because I've returned a fair amount and never had anything like that. But I would guess my returns are less than 5% of the thing I buy and keep.

• Like 3

Not just ratio of dollars spent vs dollars returned, but they also consider replacement orders made within a short period of time as well as whether you handled your return without contacting an agent.  Returning a shirt and ordering a different size or color or style shortly after?  That’s sort of a wash in the ratings. Returns on electronics - definitely Bad.  Try to return electronics very often and you WILL be terminated as an amazon customer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AK_Mom4 said:

Not just ratio of dollars spent vs dollars returned, but they also consider replacement orders made within a short period of time as well as whether you handled your return without contacting an agent.

Is it better or worse to contact an agent when doing a return, I wonder? Mostly, I handle them myself. I only contact them when something comes broken or missing or it is late/lost. That doesn't happen nearly as often as returning for too small/big. (I used to contact for stuff being late. Now, I just deal with it.)

This has been around for awhile. I remember reading about it about five years ago. We went overseas two different summers where we had to buy a lot of gear that had to fit perfectly, and I returned probably a dozen things each time. Then a few years later, we moved and put in curtains from Amazon at the rental house. This house has all different-sized windows, and we need more privacy. So only one set was moved. We did pretty well, but I returned probably ten sets of curtains for color and quality issues.

Since then I've returned a sweater and a skirt for size issues, and a trash can because they sent it without the lid.

Nothing from them. I'm still on Prime.

• Like 1

Oh goodness! I return clothes and shoes often. I just assumed it was like Zappos where it was normal to buy a few, keep one, send the rest back! I just ordered 3 dresses, and sent back 2. Ordered 4 pairs of flip flops and sadly had to send them all back. I think I’ve only ever returned clothing and shoes though. Never electronics or other stuff. I never contact anyone...just go online and do the return and mail. I like that it’s so easy! I hope they don’t take it (or me!) away. 

Of those two ot three returns, how many orders did they have?  What's their percentage?

Supposedly online retailers are talking to each other.  How many returns percentage with other retailers? 

Even Nordstrom will shut down returns from people who do it to much.  

• Like 1

I return a lot, but it's almost always clothing and it's because of fit. I suspect that is not the issue.  Last year I bought 5 pairs of shoes and returned 4. So my "keep to return" ratio was pretty low.  

I'd be interested in knowing what sorts of things people return and what the circumstances are that cause account cancellation. You know how doctors' offices often have a notice that cancellations with less than 24 hours notice are charged some amount of money?  All mine have that.  I've canceled at the last minute many times, usually due to illness.  I've never been charged anything because I'm not doing it all the time.  They put that stuff out for abusers.

• Like 1

I've been an Amazon Prime member forever. I do a lot of buying at Amazon and also a fair amount of returns, especially of clothes and shoes.

At the end of last year, I started having problems using their online return center. It would say to try again later (or something similar, I believe), over and over. Tellingly, my husband had no problems using the return center with his account on a computer in the same house. I had to chat with a customer service representative for every return for a month or two. It was a massive pain. When the new year started, it was like my account "reset" and I've had no more problems. I feel fairly certain it was triggered by the number of returns I made that year.

Edited by MercyA

Hmph. I had a ton of purchases and returns when we were renovating our bathrooms. Somethings were accidentally shipped to the wrong address, some things arrived damaged or were ultimately not needed. I spend a ton on Amazon so I guess maybe my volume and dollar amounts are high enough to make up for it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

My returns are generally shoes, I have a pair waiting to go back tonight. I'd do an exchange but the next size up is twice the price. 

they were really patient with me when I sent back the wrong shoes in the wrong box. (three extremely similar pairs of shoes - and the pair I kept I didn't wear because I had a temp of 102.8 - I wore sheepskin slippers)

when I figured it out - I worked to get a real person to explain what happened.  she agreed- that was one I needed to talk to a real person about.

Never had any issue with my account.

17 hours ago, marbel said:

IYou know how doctors' offices often have a notice that cancellations with less than 24 hours notice are charged some amount of money?  All mine have that.  I've canceled at the last minute many times, usually due to illness.  I've never been charged anything because I'm not doing it all the time.  They put that stuff out for abusers.

Yes, I've learned the same. Last month I messed up on the date of an appointment at my allergy doctor, and they just rescheduled it. I'm there almost weekly and always pay my bills on time, so they forgave it. The local ortho doc/PT office is very understanding about weather cancellations. Once they told me, "Yes, cancel. We don't need more business, and the roads are very icy." I once had to cancel one of DH's appointments with them because he was in the ER. No problem.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, marbel said:

I return a lot, but it's almost always clothing and it's because of fit. I suspect that is not the issue.  Last year I bought 5 pairs of shoes and returned 4. So my "keep to return" ratio was pretty low.  

I'd be interested in knowing what sorts of things people return and what the circumstances are that cause account cancellation. You know how doctors' offices often have a notice that cancellations with less than 24 hours notice are charged some amount of money?  All mine have that.  I've canceled at the last minute many times, usually due to illness.  I've never been charged anything because I'm not doing it all the time.  They put that stuff out for abusers.

yeah.  last week I got the call from the dr's office confirming dudeling would be coming.  (and that there is a fee for late cancellation).  yesterday, I called to cancel because sunday night he'd had a temp of 102+.   apparently, I called right before they were going to call me because the dr was sick.

• Like 1