Menu

Sonlight composition

We've used 100 (partial), 200 (mostly as written), and 300 (partial).  Since 2011/2012 or so, the high school cores have been reworked to make the writing and lit analysis parts stronger than they used to be.   If your student goes through 100-400 (or even 500), they will get exposure to many types of writing assignments, since they build on each other. 

The writing is tied to the literature books, so if you don't use some of the books, you will have to adjust the writing assignments. There is also a fair bit of literary analysis type questions in the daily readings and questions.

There is usually a writing assignment for each week (or sometimes a multi-week assignment); these cover a variety of topics, such as literary analysis essay ("find examples of foreshadowing in these chapters", "compare this character to that character", etc.), re-writing  the beginning or ending of a book to make it stronger or slant it differently, practicing writing a SAT type essay on a set topic, and writing a research paper.  There are notes (in the appendices) written to the student to walk them through the research paper, and to give some guidance on literary analysis topics (explaining round vs. flat characters, explaining what a plot arc is, etc.)   Overall, it is a well-rounded group of assignments, if it is a bit scattered.  I feel the biggest drawback to the program is the lack of rubrics and handholding for the *teacher*.  I googled high school writing rubrics and used those to help me grade and to help him have objectives to meet.

One of my high school students has done some of 100 last year (we subbed out quite a bit of the lit, so he only did a few of writing assignments in the IG), and has done most all of 200 as written.  It has been a good fit for him.  He has enjoyed the variety of assignments, and his ability to do different styles of writing has greatly improved.  My other high school student has done about half of the assignments in 300 (we are subbing out some of the lit, so that changed things for him). 

The program is not as intense as many of the classical/progymnasmata type programs that are more popular right now, but that can be a plus for some families.   According to a neighbor of mine who is an English teacher in the local schools, it is on par with what many local high schools in my neck of the woods are doing for writing; I do realize that that doesn't necessarily count as an endorsement for many folks here. 😉  But it has been enough for us. 

We do supplement with some grammar/spelling/vocab and word study.  I have also used The Lively Art of Writing and the free workbook, Writing With a Thesis, and They Say, I Say.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

49 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

We've used 100 (partial), 200 (mostly as written), and 300 (partial).  Since 2011/2012 or so, the high school cores have been reworked to make the writing and lit analysis parts stronger than they used to be.   If your student goes through 100-400 (or even 500), they will get exposure to many types of writing assignments, since the build on each other.

The writing is tied to the literature books, so if you don't use some of the books, you will have to adjust the writing assignments. 

There is usually a writing assignment for each week (or sometimes a multi-week assignment); these cover a variety of topics, such as literary analysis essay ("find examples of foreshadowing in these chapters", "compare this character to that character", etc.), re-writing  the beginning or ending of a book to make it stronger or slant it differently, practicing writing a SAT type essay on a set topic, and writing a research paper.  There are notes (in the appendices) written to the student to walk them through the research paper, and to give some guidance on literary analysis topics (explaining round vs. flat characters, explaining what a plot arc is, etc.)   Overall, it is a well-rounded group of assignments, if it is a bit scattered.  I feel the biggest drawback to the program is the lack of rubrics and handholding for the *teacher*.  I googled high school writing rubrics and used those to help me grade and to help him have objectives to meet.

One of my high school students has done some of 100 last year (we subbed out quite a bit of the lit, so he only did a few of writing assignments in the IG), and done most all of 200 as written.  It has been a good fit for him.  He has enjoyed the variety of assignments, and his ability to do different styles of writing has improved. 

The program is not as intense as many of the classical/progymnasmata type programs that are more popular right now, but that can be a plus.  According to a neighbor of mine who is a English teacher in the local schools, it is on par with what many local high schools in my neck of the woods are doing for writing; I do realize that that doesn't necessarily count as an endorsement for many folks here. 😉  

We do supplement with some grammar/spelling/vocab.

Thanks. This is really helpful. I’m considering doing all of 100 at some point but also considering just the literature portion of 200 and using Biblioplan history guide. Do you feel like the lit guides function fine without the history?

11 minutes ago, Nam2001 said:

Thanks. This is really helpful. I’m considering doing all of 100 at some point but also considering just the literature portion of 200 and using Biblioplan history guide. Do you feel like the lit guides function fine without the history?

Yes, you can pull the history and lit apart in 200 (or any of the high school cores) and all will be well.  Especially since they sell the guides separately

Just now, Zoo Keeper said:

Yes, you can pull the history and lit apart in 200 (or any of the high school cores) and all will be well.  Especially since they sell the guides separately

Thanks! And since you have done core 200 - are there any of the lit selections that you would skip? I have 3-4 additional books I want to use and would want to sub out instead of add extra. 

Some of the easier books that could be moved to a free reading pile (or just cut altogether, if needed): 

• The Gammage Cup
  • Pictures of Hollis Woods
  • What Hearts
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
  • The Ramsay Scallop

Personally, I will cut the first three books^ when my next child does this core.  Mrs. Frisby and Ramsay Scallop will go in the free read pile.

There are two Shakespeare plays, a comedy (Twelfth Night) and a tragedy (Romeo and Juliet); you could just do one play if you need more wiggle room. We did!

And even though I love both books, you could do just Jane Eyre OR just Pride and Prejudice.  If you could only do one, I would pick Jane to read and watch one of the lovely movie adaptations of P&P.  Much to my surprise, my " I really don't like to read" son actually enjoyed Jane Eyre.  He endured his reading of P&P. 

2 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

Some of the easier books that could be moved to a free reading pile (or just cut altogether, if needed): 

• The Gammage Cup
  • Pictures of Hollis Woods
  • What Hearts
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
  • The Ramsay Scallop

Personally, I will cut the first three books^ when my next child does this core.  Mrs. Frisby and Ramsay Scallop will go in the free read pile.

There are two Shakespeare plays, a comedy (Twelfth Night) and a tragedy (Romeo and Juliet); you could just do one play if you need more wiggle room. We did!

And even though I love both books, you could do just Jane Eyre OR just Pride and Prejudice.  If you could only do one, I would pick Jane to read and watch one of the lovely movie adaptations of P&P.  Much to my surprise, my " I really don't like to read" son actually enjoyed Jane Eyre.  He endured his reading of P&P. 

Great ideas! Thank you! 

• Like 1