Menu

Wanna see my early winter sowing results?

KungFuPanda

How exciting!   OK, what is this new way of sprouting seeds using a milk jug?  Please share a link!

I like how you use the blocks to keep them warm as well.  We still have 2 feet of snow on the ground, but it did get up to 55 today and I am thinking that I should be sprouting something. Your jugs are complete?  Or did you cut them someplace?  

Also thinking of killing some grass that doesn't grow well to clear an area for a raised garden bed.  I wonder if this is too late, like maybe I should have done this last fall?  Please share if you have any experience!  

1 hour ago, ***** said:

How exciting!   OK, what is this new way of sprouting seeds using a milk jug?  Please share a link!

I like how you use the blocks to keep them warm as well.  We still have 2 feet of snow on the ground, but it did get up to 55 today and I am thinking that I should be sprouting something. Your jugs are complete?  Or did you cut them someplace?  

Also thinking of killing some grass that doesn't grow well to clear an area for a raised garden bed.  I wonder if this is too late, like maybe I should have done this last fall?  Please share if you have any experience!  

The advantages are that I can start seeds in the winter and I don't need grow lights.  The jugs act like little (unheated) greenhouses.  The idea isn't to keep them warm through winter, but to get them going a little earlier in the spring AND avoid the in and out of hardening them off.  The individual seeds know when it's time to sprout.  I did a lot at the same time, but only the cool season stuff is getting started.  The rest will wait until it's warmer.  I just use the blocks to keep them from blowing away.  That was my onion garden last year, and the closest to my patio, so it's where they landed.  I have a few grow lights, but not nearly enough for all of the seeds I started this year.  I don't expect everything to work out, but if half of them do it's worth knowing what I can start outside.  It's my first year trying this, so it's experimental.  

There are a couple winter sowning FB groups that are VERY helpful.  It's pretty simple and cheap. Finding enough milk jugs is the biggest challenge.  I'm a month out from my last frost date in 7a and it's not too late for me to winter sow more seeds.  I did ten jugs yesterday and purposely put off starting some of the tender annuals until later.  This whole thing is my new toy.  I just found out about it in January and it helped me keep winter blues at bay better than a happy light.