Menu

Writing-- help me decide which way to go

ByGrace3

We have been a bit all over the place with writing . . . steadily improving so it hasn't been a disaster, we just were never really able to stick with anything because I am picky. lol

Dd (8th grade) did WWE 1-2, CAP 1-2, TC, and a lot of BW. DS (6th grader) did WWE style writing but not the book, CAP 1, TC, and BW.

I am trying to plan next year. I really like writing across the curriculum and I love using BW style projects to do that. However, a part of me keeps thinking that it may not be enough. DS is an incredibly natural writer so I am not as much worried about him. Older dd not so much. She understands paragraphs, topic sentences, thesis statements. Can write a solid paragraph, essay, can use parenthetical documentation, etc. . . her sentence structure could just use some work. It is not "eloquent" I guess you could say. She could also use more work on the different types of writing.

My question is do I continue on what we are doing with the older two? dd is taking Art of Argument at Schole Academy and there are quite a few writing assignments with it so we have done writing light in history and literature to supplement that. She will be taking Discovery of Deduction next year which I believe is writing heavy as well. She will be doing a Great Books study and I want her writing for that. Is that enough? Not quantity as I know that would be fine, but it wouldn't be a lot of "writing instruction" except for me helping her as needed  . . . I don't want to overwhelm her,  but at the same time, I want to make sure her writing skills are on target. Are there resources out there to help me help her with writing that she is doing (as in not add an additional program)?

I guess I want a systematic list of what to cover as we write across the curriculum. Does this exist? Or a writing curriculum that allows you to write about your own topic?

Or am I dreaming and I just should let her take at least one "how to year" of composition? And if so, what should we use?

First of all, you're describing an 8th grader who - if not about to win a "best writer" contest - is absolutely ahead of the pack and doing really well overall, especially if she also doesn't dislike writing. So it's not just "not a disaster." You've done a great job.

Second, does next year mean high school? If so, I think it depends on what you're doing for the Great Books study. In general, I'd say yes. The Great Books study with writing sounds like a traditional English credit. You can ask for more thoughts on that on the high school board if you're at all concerned. She'll also inevitably write at least a bit for whatever social studies she does, plus the writing for the elective credit for the AoA class. Seems like plenty of opportunities to hone her writing skill.

For books... There are some good guides to academic/thesis based writing. If you look on the high school board, you'll see some good lists. I know They Say/I Say, the MLA guide, is rec'ed sometimes. Also, Writing with a Thesis: A Rhetoric and Reader. There's a basic Scholastic book - Mastering the 5 Paragraph Essay - that Lori D rec's as a good resource.

Writing is like breathing. We all do it, but some of us need to learn to do it differently, if we do things different;y than the norm. Ballet dancers, runners, and scuba divers need to breath differently than the masses.

I write a bit like a folk artist. I have things to say, and I do not always do it "right" or even with beauty, but I have something to say about the folksy places that I have been, where the "right" kind of training was not available.

Writing curricula is sometimes where we can do more harm than good. I have seen this on too many occasions. I see it most when people have something to say that is beyond their access to general normie resources or if they are rejecting normie in general.

Good luck!!!! 

A pen can be a sword. Curricula can dull the sword more than sharpen it. It can make the person afraid to write, and doubt themselves. It can put them in a straightjacket. It can silence them. It can steal their greatest power, their unique voice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Farrar said:

First of all, you're describing an 8th grader who - if not about to win a "best writer" contest - is absolutely ahead of the pack and doing really well overall, especially if she also doesn't dislike writing. So it's not just "not a disaster." You've done a great job.

Second, does next year mean high school? If so, I think it depends on what you're doing for the Great Books study. In general, I'd say yes. The Great Books study with writing sounds like a traditional English credit. You can ask for more thoughts on that on the high school board if you're at all concerned. She'll also inevitably write at least a bit for whatever social studies she does, plus the writing for the elective credit for the AoA class. Seems like plenty of opportunities to hone her writing skill.

For books... There are some good guides to academic/thesis based writing. If you look on the high school board, you'll see some good lists. I know They Say/I Say, the MLA guide, is rec'ed sometimes. Also, Writing with a Thesis: A Rhetoric and Reader. There's a basic Scholastic book - Mastering the 5 Paragraph Essay - that Lori D rec's as a good resource.

Writing is actually one of my kids' favorite subjects. I attribute that to BW. Writing is fun . . . also, I teach a twice a month BW style lit and writing class that my kids love being a part of. I asked them if they wanted to do an online class next year, and they both said they preferred to do the class I am teaching. 

The problem I am running into with that is the class did our geography book selections this year . . . i highly doubt anyone would be happy about reading the Iliad and the Odyssey next year. 😉

• Like 1

Composition in the Classical Tradition is a book that I have used when I want to teach writing and have no idea what I want to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Composition-Classical-Tradition-Frank-DAngelo/dp/0023271418

It is a college textbook on the progym that has been around since late oldschool times and was THE progym book, before all the multibook series for homeschoolers were published. Buying the book new is pricey, but not as pricey as a series of workbooks with TMs. And the internet is saturated with used copies. The book is STILL in the first edition, meaning college students are competing with you to buy it. The prices of used copies goes up and down drastically at the students buy and sell their books. If you keep checking, you can get a copy for under $10.00 at peak market saturation.

This is best used as a TM for YOU and not directly with the little ones and anyone sensitive. It is a bit gruesome and irrelevant to children at times.