Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
parent

Soaring With Spelling Reviews?

If you have used, please review.  I know I've seen it mentioned but I'm not having luck searching the forums.   It looks fun, but are the words challenging?  They don't look very challenging in the examples.  Would you say it is on grade level?

Edited by parent

I used it some when my kids were younger.  I'm pretty sure that I didn't follow the grade level recommendations, but it's been several years and I'm not sure.  I liked that it was all in one book (I currently use an old-school textbook so we have to also use a notebook to write in) and that there were other skills like alphabetizing as part of the work.  We do co-op one day/week so I only wanted 4 days of spelling, not 5.  Most days were divided into 2 sections, so I would look through the exercise for the week and cross out whichever 2 sections that I didn't want to do.  

I used it for my kids for a few years when I needed them to have independent spelling work.  This was after I had used Spell to Write and Read and Logic of English to give them a strong foundation in phonics and spelling.  I think SwS was just fine for spelling practice but I do believe my kids are great spellers because of the early phonics work we did, not necessarily from SwS.  I think the level of challenge was fine for the suggested grade level.  One thing I did differently was that I did not do a pre-test, but instead we went through the list at the beginning of the week and analyzed and marked the words the SWR/LOE way.  Then they did the practice pages each day and then had a test on day 5.  I liked the carry-over system where they needed to repeat words that they got wrong.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

I used it for my kids for a few years when I needed them to have independent spelling work.  This was after I had used Spell to Write and Read and Logic of English to give them a strong foundation in phonics and spelling.  I think SwS was just fine for spelling practice but I do believe my kids are great spellers because of the early phonics work we did, not necessarily from SwS.  I think the level of challenge was fine for the suggested grade level.  One thing I did differently was that I did not do a pre-test, but instead we went through the list at the beginning of the week and analyzed and marked the words the SWR/LOE way.  Then they did the practice pages each day and then had a test on day 5.  I liked the carry-over system where they needed to repeat words that they got wrong.  

The 5 day schedule was also a con for me.  The activities look fun and like something my daughter especially would enjoy.  She always wants to play Wordscapes when she gets tablet time.  I would really like something a bit more independent too.  My daughter doesn't need a lot of help with spelling, and I don't have a lot of extra time.  This seems to have some of the best workbook activities I have seen.

Once in awhile I get lucky!  I saw a Winning with Writing book at our homeschool office today and asked a teacher if she was familiar with the Soaring with Spelling program.  She had several sets so gave me the level 5.  I love free curriculum!  I think it is on the easy side but I think my daughter would like the word puzzles and it's probably better to be a little easier since I would like it to be mostly independent.  I will try it but will also continue to work on any words she misspells and reinforce our LOE rules. 

• Like 1

I love it!   We easily do it in 4 days, sometimes in 3 days!  It's great for independent work.  I'm planning to level up with some of my kids.