Menu

What's with the ads?

Seasider too

Online dress shopping

I have a special occasion coming up that I need a nice dress for. I don’t have a lot of time to shop so I’d like to attempt to purchase something online. 

I am familiar with the websites of major retailers. Some of the prettiest things are popping up in my searches (as well as via Pinterest links), offered by little companies I’ve never heard of before. I am not opposed to giving a never-heard-of site a try, but I’d much rather know if there are any that are reliable, based on the experience of others. 

So, if you’ve purchased a nice dress online from such a site, and can recommend a vendor, I’d sure appreciate it!

16 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I have a special occasion coming up that I need a nice dress for. I don’t have a lot of time to shop so I’d like to attempt to purchase something online. 

I am familiar with the websites of major retailers. Some of the prettiest things are popping up in my searches (as well as via Pinterest links), offered by little companies I’ve never heard of before. I am not opposed to giving a never-heard-of site a try, but I’d much rather know if there are any that are reliable, based on the experience of others. 

So, if you’ve purchased a nice dress online from such a site, and can recommend a vendor, I’d sure appreciate it!

Avoid anything shipped from overseas. It can get held up in customs and also the companies are often not legit. Google reviews for the company and check BBB. I don't have a specific site I order from, because I stick with major retailers. Usually Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Amazon and Macys

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tap said:

Avoid anything shipped from overseas. It can get held up in customs and also the companies are often not legit. Google reviews for the company and check BBB. I don't have a specific site I order from, because I stick with major retailers. Usually Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Amazon and Macys

Oh, I forgot about Nordstrom RACK!

Thanks for the other good advice. 

I know they’re mostly known for shoes, but Zappos has a huge selection of dresses and their shipping policy has always been amazing for us with shoes! (I haven’t ordered dresses yet, but I probably will soon as I’m also looking for a dress.)

• Like 2

I've had great luck with Loft, and it seems like they always have a sale going on!   I have some luck with Banana Republic, otherwise Macy's and Nordstroms.

• Like 1

Also, randomly, I sometimes find just the thing I'm looking for at Zara's.  It's mostly geared toward younger people, but I've found cute sweaters and dresses (even ones a 50+ year old would wear!) there for a great price.

• Like 1

I've always had great dealings with modcloth. 

10 hours ago, Mainer said:

Boden is my favorite for dresses 🙂 

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-us

Those Boden dresses are 😍.  How's the fit? I'm a definite pear shape so often what looks great on an evenly proportioned model looks not so great on me.  Fitted above the waist works pretty well for me if the sizing is accurate.  My problem is that often to get something that fits below the waist, the bodice, arms, and (especially) the shoulders of the dress are way too big on me--sack like, even.  

White House Black Market is wonderful as is Maggie London for nice dresses at decent prices with sales going on all the time.

• Like 1

I got my dress for DS's wedding at Nordstrom Rack. The dress I wore for his graduation was from Ann Taylor Loft outlet. The dresses I wore for his commissioning and rehearsal dinner both came from Torrid. (These events all took place in like ten days in May of 2018). 

On 3/18/2019 at 7:54 AM, hopeistheword said:

Those Boden dresses are 😍.  How's the fit? I'm a definite pear shape so often what looks great on an evenly proportioned model looks not so great on me.  Fitted above the waist works pretty well for me if the sizing is accurate.  My problem is that often to get something that fits below the waist, the bodice, arms, and (especially) the shoulders of the dress are way too big on me--sack like, even.  

Better watch out, you'll get hooked! I'm to the point where I don't even want to wear any other brands. 😍

I'm thinner on top with larger hips and lower half. I think the dresses are less form-fitting than a lot of other brands. I always read the reviews, and usually people say whether things fit small or large, and if I'm lucky they say their height, weight and what size fit best.

Have fun!!!! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, theelfqueen said:

I got my dress for DS's wedding at Nordstrom Rack. The dress I wore for his graduation was from Ann Taylor Loft outlet. The dresses I wore for his commissioning and rehearsal dinner both came from Torrid. (These events all took place in like ten days in May of 2018). 

Oh man, what a streak! 

Ive never looked at Torrid, I’ll check it out. 

On 3/18/2019 at 10:14 AM, YaelAldrich said:

White House Black Market is wonderful as is Maggie London for nice dresses at decent prices with sales going on all the time.

I have a few dresses from WHBM. They are excellent quality, fully lined and well designed. The dress I wore to my daughter's wedding was from there (tropical colors). It was a great raspberry/fuchsia color that was fun and bright...without being too bright. :0) 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1