Menu

What's with the ads?

Anybody have a review to share of MUS Precalculus? I'm not that interested in how it matches up to other precalc courses; I'm more interested in its ease of use, if the instruction is clear, how involved you are as a parent, that kind of thing. We tried MUS Algebra II and had a lot of issues with new things being in the student worktext that weren't taught in the video lessons or the instruction manual, and that was frustrating. I'm wondering if the precalc is similar. We did fine with the geometry, if that helps. Thanks!

I didn’t have many issues with it, and I really didn’t follow along that closely. If my daughter had an incorrect answer, the answer key worked through how to answer it. However, I might not be the best person to answer this for you, because we didn’t  have a lot of issues with algebra two. I think there were a couple of instances where we felt the instructions weren’t clear, but most of the time it was just a case of something being in the teachers manual but not in the video.  Whenever we had questions, we re-watched the videos and we went through the teachers guide and that seemed to be enough. We were able to find the help we needed from the lesson in the teachers guide, so I don’t think we had as many issues as you did. I did email them once iirc. Our main struggle with algebra two was with the enormous number of videos in those first several lessons because of how much it was reviewing. The first time I went through that with one of my kids it was pretty overwhelming. The second time through I knew to break it up because I knew what was coming.  Anyway, I’m not sure how much that helps! 

• Like 2

We are currently using MUS PreCal.  We are at lesson 23 out of 30.  For us, it works great.  Mr. Demme does skip a lot of steps in his video presentations now, but we just pause and write down the steps that should be there.  I did Alg II also and don't recall the problems that you had.  However, my degree is in math and I am very comfortable assisting my dd in her work.  And I need to.  I do think it is easy to use, but it does not remove me from the equation at all.  I work problems on the board that my dd doesn't understand.  This happens every day.  HTH!

• Like 1

We used it last year. I wish I had kept notes to remember what specific issues I had, but I did find it frustrating at times. I'm not a math person, so once my son hit geometry I started buying my own student workbook and did every lesson along with him. I found everything pretty easy to understand until PreCalc. I didn't feel like the videos or text were as clear as in previous years, so for the fist time (we had been using MUS since Alpha) I had to contact MUS for help and I also had to rely on Khan and other resources occasionally. That said, my son has always been comfortable with MUS and even if we could do last year over we would not switch. In fact, even though there were frustrations, I enjoyed it so much more than when I was in high school and found myself addicted to trig identity problems. But in hindsight I probably would have started earlier than him to give me time to work things out before we got stuck. It never failed--if I got stuck, he got stuck, and then we'd get behind trying to get unstuck.

• Like 1

My daughter worked her way through Pre-Calc last year without too many bumps. I remember one or two chapters giving her some issues - any time she had an issue she would use Khan Academy, and they would explain the same thing in a different way and it usually broke the logjam for her.

She's halfway through MUS Calculus right now (for various reasons she started Pre-Calc in the middle of last year so she didn't totally finish it up until October), and she's had a bit more trouble with it. But with my husband's help the few times that she's had issues ultimately she's been able to figure it out.

Any textbooks that basically allow my smart but not-mathy daughter teach herself Pre-Calc and Calculus work for me!

• Like 1