Menu

Most Interesting Latin Authors for Post-AP Reading?

My dd has completed one year of Latin at Lukeion beyond AP Latin.  She chose to do the Ovid readings this year and has enjoyed them.  Next year, she’d like to continue on her own with a different author.  Lukeion offers a year of Cicero and she may just get the Cicero book they use and translate it at home, but since she wants a bit more flexibility than the class offers, we’re also looking at other authors.  I’d love suggestions of authors or books that might be of high interest to someone her age.  Latin is still probably her favorite subject, so I’d like to find something really engaging.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Mom0012

My daughter went through high school back when there were two AP Latin tests. Her high school years looked like this:

grade 9 - Caesar (using Henle 2)

grade 10 - AP Vergil

grade 11 - AP Literature (Catullus & Cicero)

grade 12 - independent study of Ovid and Horace

As I recall, she really enjoyed both Ovid & Horace, so maybe your daughter would like Horace, too. She used these texts from Bolchazy Carducci:

Horace: Selected Odes and Satire

A Horace Workbook

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kathy in Richmond said:

My daughter went through high school back when there were two AP Latin tests. Her high school years looked like this:

grade 9 - Caesar (using Henle 2)

grade 10 - AP Vergil

grade 11 - AP Literature (Catullus & Cicero)

grade 12 - independent study of Ovid and Horace

As I recall, she really enjoyed both Ovid & Horace, so maybe your daughter would like Horace, too. She used these texts from Bolchazy Carducci:

Horace: Selected Odes and Satire

A Horace Workbook

Thanks, Kathy!  I was hoping you would see this and reply.  I’ll see what she thinks of Horace.

• Like 1