Menu

ACT Prep after no math for 2 years & writing q

MerryAtHope

My dd is going to have to retake the ACT (she took it without writing, and now needs a score with writing to meet a state requirement for entrance into a teacher education program.) She hasn't had a math class since Pre-calculus in high school, and plans to take the test in July. So she does have some time to brush up on topics before then, but is looking for a good way to do that. She's a good student but reads on the slower side, so her previous scores in the 4 main sections meet the target needed but aren't stellar. Thankfully they will "superscore," so if she does get a lower score on one of the 4 main sections this time, it won't really matter, but she'd also like to not get a drastically lower score! So--her main goals are to brush up on math and then also prepare for the writing section. Any suggestions on the best ways to do that?

We did use the ACT Prep book last time & thought we'd get that again. When my ds did the ACT 5 or so years ago, I also tried the "online prep" but wasn't overly impressed with what it did. It was pretty new then--anyone know if it has improved over the last 5 years?

I don't have any experience with the "ACT Rapid Review" mentioned here--apparently they have both a "virtual class" option and an "on demand" video archive option. Anyone have experience with either of these (or even with both & could compare them?)

Also, I know she can do sample tests from the prep book to see where her scores might be now, but is there a way to get a baseline for what she might score in the writing portion?

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 1

No Math in 2 years? That IMO is going to require a huge refresher. In 2 years, one can forget everything...

For the rest of the ACT, you asked about preparation.  My DD used KhanAcademy for the PSAT/NMSQT and the SAT exams.

For the ACT she did have access to what I think is on the right side of the below link.  "ACT Rapid Review All Access".  Now, they are showing $99 for 6 months.  I think when DD had access to it (one year ago) it was $99 for 6 or 8 weeks.  If that's the same course, that IMO is a very good deal and a good place to begin.

http://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/test-preparation/act-rapid-review.html

My DD felt that both Khan Academy (Free) and the Kaplan course were good. She would give more points to the Kaplan course. And, being able to ask questions of an instructor, and, to learn about test-taking-strategy helps.

Good luck to your DD!

• Like 1

Not an answer to your question, but do you know if they look at the writing score? When my oldest took the ACT, the writing portion was required for a school, but the school didn't use the writing score. So, I was wondering if this might apply to your daughter's program/school.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, *LC said:

Not an answer to your question, but do you know if they look at the writing score? When my oldest took the ACT, the writing portion was required for a school, but the school didn't use the writing score. So, I was wondering if this might apply to your daughter's program/school.

Yes they do in this case. I think the score required seems attainable—a minimum of 6 for the writing portion.  

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the writing score is looked at all, but glad to hear that your daughter will be able to score the necessary score. Goof luck to her on studying for the Math section. If you don't still have the general prep book that she used in the past, I would recommend buying one that only has math, like a PP mentioned, since she won't need the other sections. 

Good luck to your daughter on the test.

• Like 1

Thanks--sorry I disappeared, we were out of town for spring break and also a college visit. It turns out that she wouldn't have to test to get in, just before she does student teaching--so she has at least another year and can take it AFTER 2 math classes, which will certainly help!

• Like 2