Menu

Easy American History

beaners

I need American History that will work for K-3rd grade. I have 9 kids in that ability range, but most of them have special needs and English is not their first language. Heavy reading and writing are out. Audiobooks are great. Video options are also good. The biggest thing is that it has to be very easy to implement. The more prep time I need to dedicate to it, the more likely it is to get backburnered when things get busy. 

In the past we have done SOTW audio and the coloring pages for everyone. For the more advanced kids, they have read extra books from the library and written occasional narrations on what they read. We have the Liberty's Kids DVDs, but we need something that goes through more than just that time period.

We have Amazon Prime, and I can justify adding another streaming option if there is something good available.

Thank you!

American Pioneers and Patriots is a neat book that has a story about each time period or event, featuring children rather than adults. So you might have a story about children who are on the boat that arrives at Jamestown or whatever. For each time period there are three stories and then a review and a hands on project. Super easy. Really cute. https://www.amazon.com/American-Pioneers-Patriots-Caroline-Emerson/dp/1932971513

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

American Pioneers and Patriots is a neat book that has a story about each time period or event, featuring children rather than adults. So you might have a story about children who are on the boat that arrives at Jamestown or whatever. For each time period there are three stories and then a review and a hands on project. Super easy. Really cute. https://www.amazon.com/American-Pioneers-Patriots-Caroline-Emerson/dp/1932971513

11 hours ago, Farrar said:

The American Story by Armstrong and Roth is a lovely collection of stories about different people and moments in American history from pre-US to present. It's a good read aloud that covers a wide number of bases.

I, too, am looking for easy American History.  These are great suggestions, and I wasn't familiar with either of them.  Thank you!

If you're okay with Christian curriculum , I recommend looking at the new elementary American History by Notgrass - Our Star Spangled Story. 

I haven't used it, but I used two of their middle school programs with my son and they were great. Sometimes the Christian element was too heavy handed for my taste, but those parts opened up some good discussions. If you're looking for secular it's a no go, but I'm guessing it could be edited on the fly if, like me, you just occasionally run across something you don't agree with.

Notgrass history books are beautiful, user friendly, and not reading and writing heavy. My son chose British history this year and we're really missing the Notgrass books. The textbook we're using is pretty boring. With extra material I've pulled together something good, but Notgrass was good on its own.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking everything over so far and it has been very helpful! Thank you! I haven't noticed it in any of the suggestions so far, but are there any options that have an audiobook for read aloud sections? It has been so helpful with SOTW that I can have my hands and eyes free to be able to keep kids on task while Jim Weiss reads for me, haha!