Menu

Dh's test results

Scarlett

He went for his regular check up.  I did not go with him.  I though it would be ok because it was suppose to be just to get his meds renewed.  He takes Pradaxa and omeprazole (40 mg every morning)  and blood pressure meds.  His blood pressure was high so doc increased bp med.  Doc also did blood work and it came back that dh has early stage kidney damage.  Doc said that can be from uncontrolled BP and he told dh to also lose weight.  

Well when I get to the RX the Omeprazole has been reduced to 20 mg per day.  I thought it was a mistake and asked the pharmacist to contact the doctor to correct.  The nurse then calls dh and tells him it had been reduced and dh got angry.  So he called me and I called the nurse and she told me the same thing....I ask her why it had been reduced and she said there are a lot of risk with long term use of omeprazole although she didn't know what.  ( I googled and apparently it can affect kidneys too) . 

Does anyone know anything about this?  I gotta tell dh he needs to reduce it.  He told the nurse he would NOT Reduce it and he would just get it over the counter....ugh.

57 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Very little.  I think he is going to have to face that it is going to take some real change.  He just had his esophagus stretched (again) a month ago.

My dh just had a major reflux episode and then bought tomato soup when he finally felt like eating something. 🙄

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I just don’t know what he will do.  And furthermore the diet varies so much from person to person it is difficult to know where to start. 

I feel sad for him.  

You're right, it's a matter of trial and error, but he could feel much, much better after figuring out what agrees and disagrees with him. 

For us it's sulfites and citric acid in foods. So, interestingly enough, processed tomato products that have citric acid in them (probably the majority, but not all of what's at our grocery store) cause all 4 of us uncontrollable reflux. Tomato products without it are ok, and it ends up not being a huge deal. We just read labels and buy the brands we know work. 

Same with pizza--some restaurant pizza consistently gives us reflux, but there are several that work just fine. 

An elimination diet might help him get to baseline, then add possible offending foods back in, one by one. Overwhelming at first but very motivating when you start to feel better.

Amy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Acadie said:

You're right, it's a matter of trial and error, but he could feel much, much better after figuring out what agrees and disagrees with him. 

For us it's sulfites and citric acid in foods. So, interestingly enough, processed tomato products that have citric acid in them (probably the majority, but not all of what's at our grocery store) cause all 4 of us uncontrollable reflux. Tomato products without it are ok, and it ends up not being a huge deal. We just read labels and buy the brands we know work. 

Same with pizza--some restaurant pizza consistently gives us reflux, but there are several that work just fine. 

An elimination diet might help him get to baseline, then add possible offending foods back in, one by one. Overwhelming at first but very motivating when you start to feel better.

Amy

What pizza can you eat? 

And are you saying that they add citric acid to some tomato products?  We love chili so that has been concerning......I think it might be one of the things i have to cut out.  But i do make a good white chili

Kirkland Signature frozen cheese pizza (haven't tried the kind they serve at the store at Costco), Amy's Organic, several Trader Joe's. We usually get restaurant pizza from a local chain, Dewey's.

Yes, citric acid is in many brands of tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, etc. You can find brands without but definitely need to read labels and might need to hit the natural food store. We love white chili too! And sometimes just throw in chopped fresh tomato in place of processed tomato products. It's less intense than concentrated tomato but still yummy.

Citric acid is in a surprising number of products, sometimes including organic ones. Popsicles, salad dressing, anything with a little tartness might have it. It's so annoying.

Amy

Omeprazole can be bought over the counter, so he could take a higher dose than his script.

I don't know all of your dh's specific issues If this is what's causing the kidney damage though, sometimes it comes down to choosing the lesser of two evils, even if one of those may eventually kill you. (I hope I am not sounding flippant; my dh had dealt with his own health problems. He/we have made decisions based on what he can/can't live with now, rather than what may eventually be damaging.)

A dear friend of ours had horrible reflux, to the point where he would have to sit upright all night, or throw up, and it was horrible. It seemed like he couldn't eat anything. A doctor basically forced him to go gluten and dairy free (very hard for him, a picky eater!!), and after about 6 months to a year, he added both back in. He hasn't had a problem with reflux since. He doesn't even have to take any medication anymore.

I hear you on making diet changes, though. It's really difficult. But it sounds like it's needed! Hugs.

• Like 2

Gluten gives me reflux. I'm not terribly gluten sensitive (it doesn't really do anything else to me) but reflux is a really distinct consequence for me.

He needs to make lifestyle changes or he is going to permenantly damage his kidneys. there's no way around that. I would really push for him (with you) to do an elimination diet like whole 30. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 3:50 PM, Scarlett said:

I had read some of that.  Probably dh didn't 'hear' the doctor say this.  

He has A LOT of trouble with his esophagus. I don't know what he will do for that issue.  20 mg just doesn't work.  

He could take 20 mg of Pepcid on top of the Omeprazole. 

• Like 1

DH had terrible acid reflux - we decided to go sugar-free and gluten-free to see if it helped us lose weight. An unexpected side effect for him was that he was able to completely eliminate all heartburn medicine within a week or so. He was taking prescription Pepcid twice a day and tums for breakthrough heartburn. He hasn't needed anything in weeks now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beaners said:

H pylori is often a cause of acid reflux too, but it can be tricky to catch in testing. Lactose intolerance is sometimes a symptom of H pylori infection. There are also options other than proton pump inhibitors for reflux treatment.

Do you have a link to further info about this? DH has both....

6 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

Do you have a link to further info about this? DH has both....

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/h-pylori-helicobacter-pylori

A lot of people have H pylori, but some react to it more strongly than others. Some strains are also more aggressive than others. The strain in Eastern Europe where my kids were from is particularly nasty. If you have always had lactose intolerance that wouldn't be an indication, but anecdotally knowing a lot of families who have had to treat H pylori, suddenly developing an intolerance to dairy is a sign. 

It can be hard to get accurate testing, so a negative result from an initial stool sample doesn't always mean you don't have it. Breath testing is less invasive, but biopsies can also be done during an endoscopy and then cultured. Because it is so prevalent and so easy to pass between people, some doctors are hesitant to treat for it. It also requires a combination of different medications to treat. You need PPIs to lower the stomach acidity which the bacteria has made stronger to protect itself, then antibiotics to actually attack the bacteria. Sometimes the first round doesn't get it and you need to go back again.

It's a pain to fight it, but if you leave it untreated and you are symptomatic it will lead to ulcers and stomach cancer. 

3 hours ago, beaners said:

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/h-pylori-helicobacter-pylori

A lot of people have H pylori, but some react to it more strongly than others. Some strains are also more aggressive than others. The strain in Eastern Europe where my kids were from is particularly nasty. If you have always had lactose intolerance that wouldn't be an indication, but anecdotally knowing a lot of families who have had to treat H pylori, suddenly developing an intolerance to dairy is a sign. 

It can be hard to get accurate testing, so a negative result from an initial stool sample doesn't always mean you don't have it. Breath testing is less invasive, but biopsies can also be done during an endoscopy and then cultured. Because it is so prevalent and so easy to pass between people, some doctors are hesitant to treat for it. It also requires a combination of different medications to treat. You need PPIs to lower the stomach acidity which the bacteria has made stronger to protect itself, then antibiotics to actually attack the bacteria. Sometimes the first round doesn't get it and you need to go back again.

It's a pain to fight it, but if you leave it untreated and you are symptomatic it will lead to ulcers and stomach cancer. 

Where did you find the link with lactose intolerance? 

21 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

Where did you find the link with lactose intolerance? 

It's anecdotal among the many people I know who have had to treat for H pylori - sudden lactose intolerance as a symptom of infection. For example a family adopts one child who is found to have H pylori, then it is passed to someone else in the family who presents with GERD and sudden intolerance. One of our kids no longer showed any sensitivity to dairy after treatment. 

9 hours ago, beaners said:

It's anecdotal among the many people I know who have had to treat for H pylori - sudden lactose intolerance as a symptom of infection. For example a family adopts one child who is found to have H pylori, then it is passed to someone else in the family who presents with GERD and sudden intolerance. One of our kids no longer showed any sensitivity to dairy after treatment. 

Interesting! I will bring it up with DH to discuss with his dr!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 4:44 PM, Pamela H in Texas said:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/dr-mcdougalls-cpb-english.pdf

Entire program is available free at the website. He has a lot of YouTube videos also. 
You can also watch Forks Over Knives, follow on FB, etc.  LOTS of success stories.  
This can be turned around pretty quickly and easily if he so chooses.

If any of these were easy, we'd all be thin and healthy.    

• Like 1