Menu

Starting Henle Latin I after LCII question...

Henle seems to be a very popular Latin course. I am wondering how easy it is to do after doing LCI and LCII with the DVD sets? Did you find it hard to do the Henle without someone on DVD to help out with explanations and pronunciation? Is it difficult to figure out the pronunciation of the words without a CD?

This seems to get the best reviews for an easy to follow Latin course that can be taught by someone who is not proficient in Latin (and I am most definitely not!)

If Henle did work for you, I would love to know why. If it didn't, why not, and what did you use instead?

Thanks,

Trina

Well, you already know the pronunciation from the LC I & II. I thought it was very easy to follow, but I'd definitely recommend the MODG syllabus from allcatholicbooks.com. That will help you schedule it, have blank charts and quizzes, etc. If you have your flashcards from LC I & II, you don't really need the wall charts. I bought the syllabus, text, grammar, and answer key.

I am wondering how easy it is to do after doing LCI and LCII with the DVD sets? Did you find it hard to do the Henle without someone on DVD to help out with explanations and pronunciation? Is it difficult to figure out the pronunciation of the words without a CD?

There's a CD available for Henle I. It's pretty inexpensive and well worth it, imo, if you're unsure about pronunciation.

The grammar explanations in Henle are very clear; I doubt you'll have any problems there. I know many families whose children begin Henle in 5th grade and do fine. Have you seen the Memoria Press study guides for Henle I? They take a slow pace and are good for younger students, if that's your situation.

If you're looking for extra support, you can subscribe to the HenleLatin mailing list or register your dc for an online class. If you plan to go the distance with Henle and teach it yourself, I would strongly recommend learning at least a little in advance of your students if at all possible. The HenleLatin list has a lot of homeschool parents working through the text, and they're a great group of folks. HTH!

I agree with Plaid Dad. You should have no problems jumping into Henle after going through LC I & II. If you are using Henle with younger students, the Memoria Press guide is excellent. They also carry quizzes for Henle Latin which I have found very useful. They are not scheduled in the guide, but you can easily figure out which quizzes to give, and when.

My daughter used Henle after completing LCI and the majority of LCII (no DVDs). She was in 7th grade and had absolutely no problem. We used the Memoria Press study guides. Yes, they do move fairly slowly, but I found this to be an advantage when the assignment was more of a challenge. Most of the time she just worked ahead when she could. BTW I did keep the flashcards from both LCI and LCII and had her review a portion of them weekly.

I would recommend Lingua Biblica from Memoria Press if your children tire of Caesar and the Goths, and want something different to translate. If I remember correctly, there were 2 or 3 different levels of work for each lesson in the book.

Denise in NE

is on the 2nd Memoria Press Henle I syllabus after using PL, LC I & LC II. We never used the DVDs, but the transition to Henle was quite easy. The Memoria Press guides move pretty slowly, but that pace has been great for my son. The only issue we had last year was that there is a bit of writing out answers required, and that was a little tedious for him at 10 yo. We solved that problem by using a white board to write out the answers if the assignment was long.

LC I & II cover quite a bit of bare bones grammar, so your dc won't see much new grammar for a while. What they will get from working through Henle from the beginning is more practice with what they've learned such that it begins to become more "automatic".

I've just purchased the Lingua Latina books to go along with Henle and give us more reading practice. So far, I think Henle is working out very well for us. My plan right now is to try and get through Henle 2 at home and then opt for an on-line course for the higher levels.

Brenda

Thanks for the all the information! I noticed that a lot of you are using Henle with younger students. My ds will be in 9th grade next year. Is Henle suitable for that grade level, and would we do all of Henle I to count as one year's Latin credit?

TIA,

Trina

Henle is absolutely suitable for that grade level. Completion of Units 1-7 will count as 1 year's Latin credit. Finishing the book would give her two year's Latin credit. :)

I'd suggest the Mother of Divine Grace Syllabus. You can get one that covers the first 7 units of Henle (1 high school credit), and it comes with quizzes, too. The Memoria Press syllabi would be too slow for high school (IMHO).

I've got several friends with high schoolers who are successfully using the MODG syllabi with Henle.

The MODG syllabi are available here: http://www.adoremusbooks.com.

HTH,

Brenda

I'm chiming in to agree with Brenda and the others who recommend the MODG syllabus. We started with Memoria's study guide in the 9th grade, partly because someone here insisted that yes, it would be a full year credit for HS. It is not. And yes, they are excellent, but for middle schoolers, not a 9th grader.

MODG is fabulous. They have all the drill sheets already prepared. We scanned ours so we can print them as needed. Quizzes and tests are there too. I love this resource and wouldn't attempt Henle any other way.

The cheapest place to buy these guides is through allcatholicbooks.com.

The only downside to Henle is that we get a little sick of the Romans always coming up smelling like roses and the poor Gauls getting their you-know-whats kicked. Also, my son adores the Teaching Company's lecture series on Great Battles of the Ancient World. Once he (kiddingly) refused to translate a Henle passage - "This is conscientious objection to unrealistic warfare. This priest really does not know anything about ancient military tactics, mom!" (That's when you say, "let's just focus on the verb tense, shall we?")

Good luck!