Menu

What's with the ads?

I’m trying to select my oldest son’s English curriculum for next year. He will be a 9th grader. I was thinking Easy Grammar, Power in Your Hands, and Windows to the World and adding in 2-4 novels. Would this be too much or just right for one English credit? 

• Like 1

Yes, that would work for an English credit
No, not too much for an English credit. Possibly a bit light on the literature, but it depends on the student.

Random thoughts, for what it's worth, lol:

Literature:
Perhaps also get an individual lit. guide to go along with each of those 2-4 novels to help with "deeper digging" and practicing the skills learned in Windows to the World?
Perhaps increase total literature by including a few works of high interest to DS that are NOT going to be discussed/analyzed/written about?

Writing: Windows to the World (WttW) has a unit or two that is step-by-step instruction of how to write a literary analysis essay, and then has the student write one. When you reach that section of WttW, I'd suggest setting aside working of Power in Your Hands for a few weeks and let WttW be your writing focus for that time.

Grammar: Does he still *need* Grammar? If so, then disregard the following. Otherwise: usually students finish up formal Grammar instruction along about 8th grade, and for high school Grammar is actually put to use in the Writing. Some people do a little light Grammar review throughout high school, but not as a full-on program or everyday, so perhaps if still wanting/needed some Grammar, Easy Grammar could be used in that way, as a 10-minute review 2x/week?

BEST of luck as you plan for 9th grade! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 3

I agree with Lori 100%.  Although, I would say do 4 books.  WttW is excellent, but really just takes a little less than a semester.

Thank you. He is pretty strong in writing and literature, so I think we’ll do at least 4 novels in the second semester with a literature guide and apply skills from WttW. He’ll definitely want to continue reading high interest novels without assignments. As for grammar, I think his skills are ok. He mostly needs review with capitalization and punctuation, but that can easily be done while editing his writing. He flies through his work each day, so I want to make sure next year is a little “meatier”, but without unnecessary busy work.

• Like 3

I'm doing WtWorld this year, and with Jill Pike's syllabus it's a full 28-week course + 5 optional intro weeks built on Adam Andrews' Teaching the Classics. We substituted Great Expectations for Jane Eyre, and did NOT do the 5-week intro. So our course (in case the reference is helpful) consists of 28 weeks Windows to the World (Jill Pike), a 1-month grammar boot camp, and some individual speech opportunities sprinkled throughout (through Boy Scouts, 4-H, and an independent speech club). I have 6 kids in the class, age 13-16; we meet for 2 hours 1x/week, and we are LOVING the course. 

• Like 2

There are also a lot of the other short stories listed at the end of chapters in the teacher's book in Windows to the World to help make it fuller and give the students more practice.  We really enjoyed a lot of them.

• Like 2