Menu

Has anyone been to Thailand?

mommyoffive

If you are not against vaccinations, Hepatitis A and Typhoid is recommended.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/thailand

I haven’t been to Thailand recently. My parents picked a mixed of places to go. 

Bangkok - temples and floating market

Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai - for slower paced tranquility 

Pattaya, Phuket - for the beaches while still being quite urban. 

I haven't been since before the kids were born, but it was certainly a beautiful trip, really nice people, great food, easy travel, relatively inexpensive (though I understand it's more expensive on the ground now than it used to be). I didn't do the beaches. I had just been at the beach in Malaysia, so it wasn't on my agenda.

56 minutes ago, gingersmom said:

I visited 8 years ago. We did not get any extra vaccines.

We all got a wicked case of food poisoning that we still talk about it was so bad.

Can I ask why you didn't do the vaccines?   Does it matter more that you are going in summer?   Did you base it on where you traveling in the country?

Anyone have advice on where they are cheaper to get? 

Oh no good on the food poisoning.  We all got crazy sick in Morocco last year we think from drinking the water. 

Edited by mommyoffive

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

If you are not against vaccinations, Hepatitis A and Typhoid is recommended.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/thailand

I haven’t been to Thailand recently. My parents picked a mixed of places to go. 

Bangkok - temples and floating market

Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai - for slower paced tranquility 

Pattaya, Phuket - for the beaches while still being quite urban. 

Thanks, I saw right before I was going to buy the tickets.   It seems like it would be expensive to get us all vaccinated.  ARgh  

I was so excited and now I am talking myself out of this because of the cost of vaccines.   Going to Europe would be cheaper based on that.  

Edited by mommyoffive

We lived in Chiang Mai for 3 years. I loved it! We had already gotten all the vaccines for our time in Papua New Guinea, but most people we knew who lived there had Hep A vaccines done. They did them in-country though because it is so much cheaper there and the medical care is good.

I don't think I would get them just for a visit, and none of our visitors (parents, friends, sister) got them. I think it would be more of an issue if you were planning on doing village living like in the hilltribes regions.

Me, exactly this time a year ago. Hated it. I spent I think about 3 months in sE Asia with the kids and I don’t recall doing extra vaccines. I specifically researchedit to death and just decided against it. We had no problems though older kid and I took antimalarials when in some islands in Indonesia. Pm me if you want details as I’m not interested in publicly bashing a whole country—it was my least favorite place to visit in 6 months of travel, tied with another one. It’s one of those things that looks amazing on photos and oh so instagrammable but  the reality in the ground was a totally different thing. I felt pretty insane there and even now typing this because it’s obviously a very popular place.

Edited by madteaparty