Menu

What's with the ads?

Farrar

AP Microecon at PA Homeschoolers

Any feedback on AP Microeconomics at PA Homeschoolers? Good instructor? Engaging? Also, I'm fine with different viewpoints, but I definitely want to hear that it's balanced. I know it's not going to cover government issues as much as a Macro class, but still. Ds would do the full year, not the semester version.

My son took the semester version from Daniel Burns two years ago. It prepared him well for the AP exams, but we thought it was a rather ho-hum course.

• Like 1

If anyone knows of any others, by the way, I'd love to hear it. I didn't find anything that wasn't Christian (TPS and HSLDA both have it) or was just a video based/self-graded course (like Thinkwell).

Perhaps I shouldn’t admit this, lol, but my ds used this guy — 

He did both micro and macro in a couple of months and took both CLEP tests and got 6 credits for those at his college.  It is also supposed to cover the AP materials.

The only cost is a $10 packet of worksheets for each level.  My ds and I had fun watching it together.

ETA: My dd doesn’t have time for Econ with her current lineup, but if the college she decides to attend accepts CLEP credit, we’ll be doing these the summer before she goes off.  Quick, easy, cheap and memorable. But tasteless, lol.

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Julie of KY said:

My son took the semester version from Daniel Burns two years ago. It prepared him well for the AP exams, but we thought it was a rather ho-hum course.

Same here. PAH Macro was much more engaging and exciting

• Like 1

I don't really personally find economics interesting at all, but if I had to, then yeah, macro would be my choice. But this is his particular interest and it's definitely microeconomics that he finds more interesting. For various reasons, I want him to take a class. While I know it's not a super hard exam, he definitely needs real support for it as his first exam and not being a natural test taker.

9 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

Perhaps I shouldn’t admit this, lol, but my ds used this guy — 

He did both micro and macro in a couple of months and took both CLEP tests and got 6 credits for those at his college.  It is also supposed to cover the AP materials.

The only cost is a $10 packet of worksheets for each level.  My ds and I had fun watching it together.

ETA: My dd doesn’t have time for Econ with her current lineup, but if the college she decides to attend accepts CLEP credit, we’ll be doing these the summer before she goes off.  Quick, easy, cheap and memorable. But tasteless, lol.

Thank you for this! We had been planning on using the Great Courses econ course, but to be honest I wasn't too excited about it. It seems dated and perhaps slightly biased. I showed my son the ACDC econ course, we watched a couple of videos, and DS likes the looks of it. So I think we're going to use this. I guess that makes us tasteless, LOL. ; )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TarynB said:

Thank you for this! We had been planning on using the Great Courses econ course, but to be honest I wasn't too excited about it. It seems dated and perhaps slightly biased. I showed my son the ACDC econ course, we watched a couple of videos, and DS likes the looks of it. So I think we're going to use this. I guess that makes us tasteless, LOL. ; )

We started with the Great Courses and quickly wound up bored to death.

• Like 1

I guess I'm wondering - because I have no context not being an econ or business type at all - are what people is saying is boring the content of the course for Great Courses or PA Homeschoolers or is it the presentation? Like, this kid thinks The Profit is the best show ever made. He did his 8th grade internship at a local business and he thought sorting credit card receipts and watching the business owner schmooze with other business people and make deals was FASCINATING. He just thinks it's interesting. I think all of that would have been dull. So I guess I'm thinking that while he needs a good presentation, he doesn't need the content jazzed up. I think he'll like it on its own. But I know this is a "quickie" AP exam for a lot of students, so maybe it's not a real interest for them.

Edited by Farrar

2 hours ago, TarynB said:

I don't know if it is included or separate, but make sure to watch that guy's EconMovies on YouTube. I had DD#1 watch them to occasionally throw some humor/fun into her normal Econ class (which also used Crash Course Econ videos).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I guess I'm wondering - because I have no context not being an econ or business type at all - are what people is saying is boring the content of the course for Great Courses or PA Homeschoolers or is it the presentation? Like, this kid thinks The Profit is the best show ever made. He did his 8th grade internship at a local business and he thought sorting credit card receipts and watching the business owner schmooze with other business people and make deals was FASCINATING. He just thinks it's interesting. I think all of that would have been dull. So I guess I'm thinking that while he needs a good presentation, he doesn't need the content jazzed up. I think he'll like it on its own. But I know this is a "quickie" AP exam for a lot of students, so maybe it's not a real interest for them.

My ds is actually interested in business and investment and I thought he would like economics.  I was a little reluctant to have him CLEP out of econ because I’m sure he would enjoy a class.  I had him do it anyway because I wanted him to have the luxury of taking 12 credits instead of 15 during his freshman year of college. My son does not have the level of interest it sounds like your son has, though.

I think the problem with the Great Courses material for us may have partly been that it was pretty long and there was no interaction with the material.  Also, it was my son’s senior year and he couldn’t believe I was asking him to do one more thing.  He was ready to be done.  So, we switched gears and the AC/DC guy was far more efficient and it was nice to have the worksheets.  His silliness brought some fun to our day.

I may still have my GC dvds.  If you would like them, PM me and I will look and see if I can find them in the morning and send them to you.

• Like 2

AP Macro (PAH) was a HUGE hit! (So much so, he wants to major in Economics now)
My DS took the 1/2 year AP Micro (PAH) with Burns and like Julie of KY, it was more ho-hum.
And he watched the ACDC videos ahead of both AP exams and scored 5's on both. He LOVED those.

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mirabillis said:

AP Macro (PAH) was a HUGE hit! (So much so, he wants to major in Economics now)
My DS took the 1/2 year AP Micro (PAH) with Burns and like Julie of KY, it was more ho-hum.
And he watched the ACDC videos ahead of both AP exams and scored 5's on both. He LOVED those.

How much work on average per week? I told myself we wouldn't do another AP until 11th grade, but if a course is engaging, I could be persuaded.

• Like 1