Menu

Memoria Press Online Academy

I am considering signing my rising 7th Grade child up for Second Form Latin and the NLE Intro Prep class.

Has anyone ever taken a Latin class from MPOA?   If so, did it actually free up any of your time compared to the DVD lessons?   Right now I basically do the following daily:  check the workbook, conduct Latin recitations, make sure he reviews (flashcards, spelling practice, etc.)   Once a week, I also proctor the tests/quizzes, watch the DVD with him to make sure he isn't spacing out.   When I look at the parent responsibilities, I think I will still be on the hook for most of that.   So is it really a time saver?  My main reasons for wanting to sign him up for the class is that I would like to free up some time to work with my younger children.    But I don't want to pay all of this money to basically sing my son up for "fun review games".   

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on which teacher I choose?  

My dd did Third Form Latin with Meredith Cutrer. She really liked her as a teacher and did well in the class. We had planned to do the Fourth Form class with her but did not sign up in time. My dd refused to take Fourth Form with any other teacher! 

I could not keep up with going over the new information with my dd towards the end of Second Form, so that is why I put her in the online class. The online class moves quickly, but it got her through the book. I wasn't really involved other than checking her grades weekly to make sure she was doing assignments and doing ok on the quizzes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalypso said:

My dd did Third Form Latin with Meredith Cutrer. She really liked her as a teacher and did well in the class. We had planned to do the Fourth Form class with her but did not sign up in time. My dd refused to take Fourth Form with any other teacher! 

I could not keep up with going over the new information with my dd towards the end of Second Form, so that is why I put her in the online class. The online class moves quickly, but it got her through the book. I wasn't really involved other than checking her grades weekly to make sure she was doing assignments and doing ok on the quizzes.

Did you still do recitations at home? 

Did your child self-check the workbook?  (I guess I am assuming that is still assigned?)

Can you tell me a little about how the online assignments work?  Is it just a quiz or are there other things assigned.  Do you take the quiz online?  Or scan and send in?

We did 1st -4th Form with MPOA.   We could have done 1st and 2nd Form without online, but it did help keep us on track.  3rd Form and for sure 4th Form were a lot harder.  The online schedule kept us going. I do wish that their 4th Form had a bit longer of a school year.  4th Form was remarkably harder with the translation exercises added in and took quite a bit more time, plus an extra quiz per week.

I did do recitation with my student a couple of times per week, but otherwise he worked on his own and i just asked to see completed pages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAttachedMama said:

Did you still do recitations at home? 

Did your child self-check the workbook?  (I guess I am assuming that is still assigned?)

Can you tell me a little about how the online assignments work?  Is it just a quiz or are there other things assigned.  Do you take the quiz online?  Or scan and send in?

The workbook was assigned, and she was expected to self-check it. I mainly checked to see that my dd was doing it. The quizzes and tests were online. I think they were given 2 tries on the quizzes, and the scores were averaged. We did not have to scan and turn anything in. I did not do the recitation with her.

There were no additional assignments that I can remember.

• Like 1

We have done several online classes with MPOA including Latin and the NLE prep class.  A lot of your success will depend on how independent your child is.  I wouldn't say that there are, "fun review games," but there was recitation at the beginning of the class.  The kids take turns answering on the mic or in the chat box then the lesson would begin.

Quizzes are required each week and are times. There are usually 2 attempts.  They are all online.

The main difference to me between the DVD and the online class is having the ability to ask questions all the time to the teacher.  There is a forum for the kids to stay in communication with the teacher.  It is easy to ask for help if needed.

HTH.

ETA: We never had to turn in assignments from the book for any Latin class.  That is your responsibility to keep up with (or your child's).  The class grade was made up of participation, quizzes, and tests as I recall.  Other classes (not Latin) did have assignments that had to be turned in.

Edited by Calli
spelling
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 6:43 PM, TheAttachedMama said:

I am considering signing my rising 7th Grade child up for Second Form Latin and the NLE Intro Prep class.

Has anyone ever taken a Latin class from MPOA?   If so, did it actually free up any of your time compared to the DVD lessons?   Right now I basically do the following daily:  check the workbook, conduct Latin recitations, make sure he reviews (flashcards, spelling practice, etc.)   Once a week, I also proctor the tests/quizzes, watch the DVD with him to make sure he isn't spacing out.   When I look at the parent responsibilities, I think I will still be on the hook for most of that.   So is it really a time saver?  My main reasons for wanting to sign him up for the class is that I would like to free up some time to work with my younger children.    But I don't want to pay all of this money to basically sing my son up for "fun review games".   

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on which teacher I choose?  

My daughter took First Form with MPOA this year and she has absolutely loved it.  I could have muddled my way through FF, but I did need to free up time and chose this class as one of those ways.  She, too, is a rising 7th grader.

She takes the quizzes independently and reports to me when she's completed it, and she does the recitations herself.  I do check her daily work (this goes quickly) so I can stay pretty on top of what she's learning.  This is her second year with this particular teacher, and she enjoys him so much.  He pulls in a variety of topics (Ancient Rome, etc) to further teach a particular derivative or just to expand their frames of reference in regard to the week's studies.  She finds him very interesting and looks forward to this class each week!

I will say that my daughter is a very diligent, efficient student that manages her time well.  I don't have to stay on top of her to complete assignments, whether they are for her regular homeschool classes or for MPOA.  She is very motivated.  

That being said, I feel other children of mine who have a tremendous amount of trouble with time management and being diligent would possibly have a different experience.  I know that I would have to stay on top of them to do the recitations, especially.  This isn't an issue that is specific to MPOA, but would crop up for us in any online class they might take.  

I just signed my daughter up for Second Form for 2019-2020 today, in fact! 

So the short answer: Yes, MPOA has been a tremendous time saver for me, and has allowed me to devote more time to my youngers.  

@MamaHill

Do you mind sharing which teacher your dd has enjoyed? I already have my dd registered for First Form next year with a teacher we are familiar with but I am always collecting recommendations for MPOA teachers. My dd will be in sixth grade next year and we plan on using MPOA for many years to come. It can be hard to find teacher reviews, though. 

12 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

@MamaHill

Do you mind sharing which teacher your dd has enjoyed? I already have my dd registered for First Form next year with a teacher we are familiar with but I am always collecting recommendations for MPOA teachers. My dd will be in sixth grade next year and we plan on using MPOA for many years to come. It can be hard to find teacher reviews, though. 

It is Dr. Kevin Dray.  

Dr. Dray also teaches some classes of Classical Composition and quite a few of the upper level/high school classes.  I would have enrolled my rising 7th grader in Chreia/Maxim with Dr. Dray, but it wasn't in the budget this year. 😩

But yes, tuck his name away because he provides an excellent learning environment.  You're right - it can be very hard to find teacher reviews and recommendations!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MamaHill said:

It is Dr. Kevin Dray.  

Dr. Dray also teaches some classes of Classical Composition and quite a few of the upper level/high school classes.  I would have enrolled my rising 7th grader in Chreia/Maxim with Dr. Dray, but it wasn't in the budget this year. 😩

But yes, tuck his name away because he provides an excellent learning environment.  You're right - it can be very hard to find teacher reviews and recommendations!

That is who my dd will have. 🙂 She has him for Narrative this year and Chreia/Maxim next year. I had been trying to research and decide between the other First Form teachers but then Dr. Dray’s section posted and my decision was easily made. I’ve still been trying to inform myself about the other teachers as much as possible. Thank you!

31 minutes ago, DiannaKennedy said:

We might have already talked about this, but I HIGHLY recommend Kristen Peterson for science courses. (I think we talked about it in another thread!)

Next year, I'll be able to comment on pre-algebra. 

Yes, it looks like you are a year ahead of me so keep those recommendations coming 🙂