Menu

Recommendations for online martial arts classes?

So DS12 was doing great in judo and recently added karate (got named student of the month the first month he was there which was encouraging) .... and then injured a tendon in his right finger and is now off all sport (judo, karate, gymnastics) for at least a month and probably more. The finger is in a split, so as long as he doesn't actually hit anything with the finger and nothing hits the finger, he is okay to move. The hand surgeon said that karate moves, for example, would be okay, just no sparring. An online class seems like the safest bet to keep DS from going crazy without any sport while protecting the finger. I see there's quite a few providers online now -- does anyone have any recommendations for us? 

I have been teaching children and adults in multiple martial arts for almost a decade. It is very possible to continue working out and even make fitness gains while you are injured, if you want to. The key is focusing on what you can do and being very creative. I have no idea how an online martial arts course would work; maybe others do.

I would suggest that you and your son simply make a list of the moves he is able to do in both judo, karate and gymnastics, as well as any other training conditioning exercises. Then help him create a few workouts from that list. Additionally, you can ask your doctor if he can run, walk, use a treadmill, stair climber, or the like. Alternatively, there are many gyms that allow you to join for a low fee month to month. Usually these gyms have someone who introduces you to the equipment and can help you set up a workout to suit your needs. Perhaps that might work.

If he can use his lower body, there are tons of low or high impact exercises he can do provided it is ok with his doctor. It also sounds like he can use his upper body, as long as his hand is protected. So a final idea would be to search the internet for lower body workouts or upper body workouts for injury recovery.

By way of encouragement, my dd broke her ankle as a competitive gymnast twice. She continued practices and spent the entire time working on strength and conditioning exercises that she could do. Yes, it was boring, especially as she watched her friends leap, tumble, jump and spin... but she was disciplined and stuck with it. When she recovered fully, she discovered she had made great strength strides while injured that translated into increased skill levels. This has also worked for me in the case of several different injuries, including a broken nose...which is really hard to find workable exercises for 😉  

The best to you and your ds!