Menu

What to do after Jacobs for the rest of the year

Ok, the deal is DS 12 is finishing up Jacobs Algebra next week. (Yes I should have figured this out a while ago!) He's slated to start geometry next, but we take a summer break for swim season. 

I was thinking I can start him on geometry and then just pick up where we left off in the fall, OR I can do something else for the next 2 months and then start Geometry fresh in the Fall.

I was considering picking out some things from AOPS for the next 2 months to keep him busy. I was hoping to do online geometry because DH does math and I have to micro manage and it's becoming a small thing. 🤣

My husband suggested a coding project but I feel like I can't let him take 5 months off math. (This could be me being neurotic!)

FTR, Math is not his strongest subject. He's accelerated but he's not passionate at all about it. He gets it done. 

Edited by Runningmom80

Patty Paper Geometry? We also have a book called The Art and Craft of Geometric Origami that is fun to play around with. Or one of the Zaccaro books, like the 25 Real Life Math Investigations or Scammed by Statistics? All of these are lighter options that would keep some math in, but likely feel more like a break.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackie said:

Patty Paper Geometry? We also have a book called The Art and Craft of Geometric Origami that is fun to play around with. Or one of the Zaccaro books, like the 25 Real Life Math Investigations or Scammed by Statistics? All of these are lighter options that would keep some math in, but likely feel more like a break.

I like the idea of a more fun math to ride out the year!

On 3/13/2019 at 8:03 AM, calbear said:

How about Jacobs: A Human Endeavor? 

My older son did this when we needed to tread water after Algebra I (with Jacobs) because I was having trouble finding a geometry text that would work for us.  It actually introduced him to a lot of concepts that he encountered again in Algebra II.  He did it independently.

Dover has a lot of interesting books at very cheap prices, many of which would be accessible to someone who has just finished algebra. You might order a few -- if they aren't good now, they might be good later, and you won't be out a lot of money. 

I was writing an amazon list of general ideas for potential use in math for liberal arts classes (in these classes, you can't assume more than algebra 1 if that) and there are a load of books on there, some cheaper than others. I've just gone and looked at my list (it's pretty long) and I started to type in some books but then I said "This is silly" so I just made it public. Try here: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/WI6UF3LX4VEU. Some of the books have comments; they were more aimed for me personally, but I'd be happy to elaborate if you had any questions. Topics include music, art, geometry, political science, history, game theory, number theory, biographies of mathematicians, graph theory, cryptography, and possibly others that I missed. 

Another option would be doing a few units from the MEP GCSE level. You might either consider doing some geometry units aimed at prepping for geometry in the fall, doing some stats and data analysis aimed at general cultural literacy, or possibly even the first half of the proofs unit (it's quite short) again to prep for geometric proofs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1