Menu

dyslexia vent

I just need to vent.  I hate hate hate dyslexia.  I see absolutely no redeeming qualities in it.  Having kids with dyslexia just makes my life so incredibly hard.  I get that it makes their lives hard too, but they only have to deal with themselves, and they're not comparing themselves to anyone, so they don't even know the difference.  I have to deal with four of them and probably two more coming up, which mean I'll be dealing with dyslexia basically til I'm a senior citizen.  I just want off this ride.

• Sad 4

There are faint moments when I'm like oh we should have some more, and then I do the math (ds X how many more) and give up. So I hear you. On the plus side, you'll like your kids when they're grown. Sorry it sucks now. Fwiw, there's that question of whether it's co-morbid sucky. Like when they tried to say my ds' support level was 1, and I'm like y'all are crazy, it ain't as nothing as y'all are making level 1 sound... Well they bumped it to 2. So maybe if dyslexia is feeling worse than the rosy books paint it, maybe more is going on.

• Like 2

Oldest and youngest are dyslexic.  Until middle child learnt to read, I thought people were making stuff up about kids "just knowing how to read."  lol  I feel like I have done nothing but teach phonics for years and years.  Someone asked me what I was going to do when my kids graduated, if I'd go into teaching - I laughed and then wanted to cry.  I can not teach another child to read.  I can't.  It's not in me.   I don't know how teachers do it.  Youngest finally took a jump this year and stopped sounding out every.single.word.  It might have been the best single moment of my entire life.  LOL

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jess4879 said:

Oldest and youngest are dyslexic.  Until middle child learnt to read, I thought people were making stuff up about kids "just knowing how to read."  lol  I feel like I have done nothing but teach phonics for years and years.  Someone asked me what I was going to do when my kids graduated, if I'd go into teaching - I laughed and then wanted to cry.  I can not teach another child to read.  I can't.  It's not in me.   I don't know how teachers do it.  Youngest finally took a jump this year and stopped sounding out every.single.word.  It might have been the best single moment of my entire life.  LOL

OMG, I could've written this. 

When I taught first grade in PS, the thing I enjoyed most was teaching kids to read!  But that was sooo different than teaching and reteaching the same 1-2 kids for years and years.  My girls learned to read at 8.5 and 10. (Gah! And "learning to read" is just the start! It's not over and done; there's still so much encouraging and scaffolding and reteaching required.)

• Like 4

Yup. There are days I just feel like I can't go on. The issues never end! Once they learn how to decode, they have to learn to spell, then they have to learn to read for inferences and main ideas and details, and it is ALL so much HARDER than for a neurotypical student that it is ridiculous. The only thing I'm grateful for is that my oldest wants to go into a field that has minimal humanities, so at some point he will get to hang out in his areas of strength that are NOT English. The trick is getting him to hang on long enough to get there. I have no idea what it is like to homeschool a non-dyslexic. It must be a breeze compared to this.

• Like 2

Yep, I am counting down the days until my DS graduates from high school.

one thing that has help us some was finding something that was a strength, or an Interest, of DS and making sure to leave time for him to develop that strength. Sometimes that was an academic strength, and sometimes it was not related to school at all. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FairProspects said:

I have no idea what it is like to homeschool a non-dyslexic. It must be a breeze compared to this.

Middle kiddo isn't dyslexic.  I kept feeling like we needed to be doing MORE.  It just seemed too easy and I was constantly thinking "she can't know this!  We've only done it once!"  lol

• Like 5

DS graduated 10 months ago, and I am still decompressing.  He is eyeball deep in the humanities, so that fact creates a new variety of stressors.  Homeschooling my DD is a piece of cake.  They are highly intelligent in their own way, but overall, she is just easier to teach; of course, I regularly fall back on the teaching skills acquired while working with DS, and I’m not as prone to worry about her since experience tells me things will work out in the end.

• Like 2

I was going through my webpage and updating links and I was thinking about my Leigh print page...it makes English as phonetic as Italian or Spanish and dyslexic students  in those languages have a lot less trouble.  Maybe you could try it with your youngest two?  

Some of the books may be able to be printed in higher quality now from Google books and Internet Archive, when I put my page up there was not as many scanned books in Leigh Print out there.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/leighprint.html

In what normally took 18 months to 2 years, they were able to teach in 6 months to normal students, you would still have extra time but the efficiency might help you still. It transferred to normal print well with normal students, I'm not sure how the transition would go with you, but the potential upside is good.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:28 PM, caedmyn said:

I get that it makes their lives hard too, but they only have to deal with themselves, and they're not comparing themselves to anyone, so they don't even know the difference.  

Edited by *****
Sounds like Caedmyn just needed to vent and has btdt!

5 hours ago, ***** said:

I am not trying to push the Barton idea

I'm not caedym, but I just wanna say she's already been banging it out and she's THE WOMAN. Like I think she has taken 4 of her kids through level 9 already. Like she's totally a gold standard rock star.

My suspicion is there are social thinking deficits, ADHD, self-regulation issues, etc. comorbid that are making life sucky hard. She also just moved. Sometimes life is complex and just sucks and you'd rather be on a cruise ship for about the next 20 years and leave most of it behind.

• Like 2

Thanks, PeterPan for letting me know.  Frustrating for sure, especially if she has just made a move (so hard to find anything because things aren't in their usual places anymore!).  And if co-morbid issues are involved, yikes!    I'm glad she has gone through at least level 9, not everyone goes that far!   I hope she can take some time out for herself, sounds like a stressful time!  

I'm going to delete my thread as it sounds like she has done all I suggested and is truly needing some time for herself!  Hugs!

Edited by *****
  • Like 1