Menu

Making workbooks fit into “classical” style

socody

I very much love the Classical Style of homeschool and my younger kids used FLL and lots of other parent-guided Classical-style curricula. Now that they are older (and there are 4 of them) I need some thing more traditional, workbook-based— at least for Language Arts. I need them to be more independent! I want to switch to something like CLE or BJU for Language Arts but don’t feel like that fits with my Classical style. So I guess my question is, what does “Classical” style Language Arts look like for those of you who have multiple kids and want it to get done? 

1 hour ago, Targhee said:

You might look at Memoria Press materials. 

ETA: we used several different things but Writing is somewhere I invest a lot of one:one time. It is not, IMO, the place to have a workbook do the teaching.

So you are referring to Classical Compositon? We have been using the Grammar Recitation. I do love MP but the grammar seems too simplistic and not complete enough for me. I’m not sure if I can do the writing or not. I WANT to like it but I’m just not sure... 

1 hour ago, socody said:

So you are referring to Classical Compositon? We have been using the Grammar Recitation. I do love MP but the grammar seems too simplistic and not complete enough for me. I’m not sure if I can do the writing or not. I WANT to like it but I’m just not sure... 

I'm really interested in hearing what you mean by the grammar being too simplistic. I just ordered EGR 1 and after looking through the samples, I thought it was very meaty-more grammar that I ever learned anyway. So just curious!

I do use the Latin too and as we get farther in, I am seeing the beauty of all of it fitting together. I guess I am just wanting grammar that takes more than 5 minutes a day and offers more practice applying it to writing. 

My older dd is 10 (5th grade). We started doing a little of CW Aesop and did NOT like that. We are doing IEW AFF this year and I DO like it, I just feel like it doesn’t cover everything (it’s probably just me comparing it to her public school friends’ Writing abilities).

I feel pretty confident in where my dd is in Grammar & Writing and honestly could stick with what we have for her. It’s really my son that I feel is not at all where he should be in grammar or writing. He is 8. He is also doing IEW AFF at a slower pace. He hates having so many “rules” and just wants to make up stories. His spelling is horrible but that’s a whole other issue!! 

I think I just want to “feel” like they are doing enough in the school day and not finishing everything in an hour like we usually do. 

7 hours ago, socody said:

I’m suggesting if you want workbook and classical MP is probably the closest you will get.  I don’t use MP because their methods didn’t work well with my own kids (or my interpretation of classical pedagogy).  We were much less rote/memorization,  right or wrong with no in between, fill-in-blank, audio-sequential in how we do things. My kids need less repetition and more big picture, more coming at something from different directions and in different order than repeated sequences, more application and less recitation. I’m not saying MP is wrong, just wrong for us.

Edited by Targhee

Use what works for you and your kids and don't worry too much about whether it fits into a "style" or not. Your children are more important than a style. 🙂 (Said with love!)

And yes, when my four oldest boys were all in elementary school and I needed to do LA with all of them, I did switch to things that were more independent, like Climbing to Good English or R&S English with the worksheets, or LLATL. Sometimes sanity is the most important thing.

• Like 2