Menu

What's with the ads?

mazakaal

Need a good, basic world history spine.

I'm looking to do world history - ancients to medieval times - with ds next year, and I want a good, basic spine that we can add interesting enrichment to (Great Courses, Crash Course videos, Mental Floss History of the World, The Greatest Stories Never Told). I don't want it to be massively long as he's not an avid reader and he's got the other books for interesting stories - so just something that gives a good overview. I'm a Christian and would be happy with a Christian perspective, but that's not essential, and I don't want half the lessons to be on Bible stories as he already has a good understanding of that. I have Notgrass, and that's just too Bible-story-heavy I think. 

I'm considering People, Places, and Events of World History by Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum or World History Detective by Critical Thinking Company. Does anyone have any experience with either of those or any other suggestions?

I've been looking as well.  IMO CTC's WHD is too basic to be considered High School level.  I think it says 6th grade and up on the cover.  I do have the Holt World History - Patterns and Interactions.  I think it will make a good spine to work from.  It is text-heavy, but I'm planning to just do certain sections and bring in other resources.   I also have the Pandia Press Ancients, Level 2, so we will cover the maps from that.

• Like 1

Glencoe's World History (authored by Spielvogel) is nicely done.  You can google and see the whole book online... http://glhssocialstudies.weebly.com/world-history-textbook---pdf-copy.html

If you are looking for a more Christian perspective, I think BJU's World History is worth considering.   It is from a conservative Protestant Christian slant, so you may want to add other perspectives on some things.  I think Crash Course videos would balance it well.

And speaking of Crash Course, there is also a history curriculum to round out the videos...http://worldhistoryeducatorsblog.blogspot.com/2016/09/crash-course-world-history-curriculum.html?m=1

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 3

I was going to recommend Glencoe's WH by Spielvogel, too. It is a great textbook. I had my dd read in it as well as a Christian text. I'll do the same with my ds next year. I'm going to use Oak Meadow's curriculum, which allows you to choose your own text. 

• Like 1

Thanks, guys! I've just ordered the Spielvogel text. It looks really good!