Menu

What's with the ads?

Garga

Is it bad to have a pass/fail on a high school transcript?

I'm most likely going to use a cyber school for my son's 12th grade year.  I called someone at the cyber school and asked how they handle the transcript: would they create one for the 12th grade year and I'd create one for 9th-11th?  She said that they would create one transcript for all of his high school years, and that all of his 9th-11th grade classes would be listed as pass/fail.

I don't know much about pass/fail, but I don't think I like that.  He worked hard on those classes and 8 of them were from teachers other than me who calculated his grades (all A's so far.)  I also believe he earned As in the classes I taught.  He did a lot of work, all that was required of him in each class--both for me and for the other teachers.

Is this something I should call back about and say is unacceptable to me?    I'm not sure exactly what pass/fail really means.  I've never heard much about it, but it sounds like it can shortchange an A student.  No one will know if he passed with flying colors, or by the skin of his teeth.

Edited by Garga

I agree that exchanging an A for a P is a bad deal.  I've also heard from other homeschooling parents that some colleges treat a Pass as a "C" but I don't personally believe that to be true.  (Call the admissions departments of colleges that you are interested in and ask them.)  

OTOH, I've heard high schools can be very conservative when it comes to acceptance credits from other schools.  I think I heard some time ago about a high school that didn't accept any credits from another high school, and expected a student to begin again as a freshman.  So there's that.  

• Like 2

If you mean ONE P/F grade for PE on the transcript = not bad, as colleges do still see that a lot. If you mean wiping out 3 years of high school classes and all those grades for P/F = very bad!

Would this be ceding administration of grades and awarding of the diploma to the cyber school? Because then their transcript would be what is sent to colleges as the final overall transcript that would also be incorporating your homeschool work -- and essentially wiping out 3/4 of his earned high school GPA. That would be extremely detrimental to your student and not worth whatever benefits the cyber school would otherwise be giving you (in my opinion).

If, on the other hand, you are still maintaining ultimate authority and will be awarding your DS his diploma at the end of 12th grade, and the cyber school would be your outsourced class provider, then you would be taking their transcript and blending it in with your homeschool years to create DS's final transcript, and it wouldn't matter how the cyber school viewed your past homeschool grades.

Yes, I would contact the cyber school and tell them this is unacceptable and detrimental. I would assume your DS does not have all As on your homeschool transcript (which can look suspicious), and you can work with them to provide proof of grades awarded -- Math and Science tests, papers written for English, screen shots of emails or transcripts showing grades awarded by any outsourced class teachers, etc.

If they are willing to work with you, then make sure you get a *specific* agreement *signed and dated* with the cyber school head administrator AND registrar guaranteeing that they will include your student's homeschool *grades* as they appear on your homeschool transcript.

If they are unwilling to work with you, I would consider that a pretty big red flag about how other things might go next year in using this cyber school.

I think the first thing, though, is to find out whether you are still the ultimately administrator and the cyber school is simply all-outsourced courses from one provider... Or is the cyber school now the administrator.

Totally JMO. Good luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 11

Nope. nope, nope.  Don't want all that hard work and excellent performance turned to a generic "C" when you apply for scholarships.

• Like 4

If you are using the cyber school as a public high school, then the school does issue the high school transcript and it is up to the high school how they want to credit courses taken in 9th to 11th grade unfortunately. If your child was transferring from another public school, then they might take the grades awarded as is which is what they did for a friend’s child here in California. 

If you are using the cyber school for individual courses just like any outsourced provider, you end up paying for the courses but you get to do your own high school transcript and be the guidance counselor.

Honestly I wouldn’t do cyber school for 12th grade only because I won’t want to have to nag school counselors to do their part for my kid’s college application. I would rather my kid does all dual enrollment community college classes if I want to save money on outsourcing than to use a cyber school.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, daijobu said:

I agree that exchanging an A for a P is a bad deal.  I've also heard from other homeschooling parents that some colleges treat a Pass as a "C" but I don't personally believe that to be true.  (Call the admissions departments of colleges that you are interested in and ask them.)  

OTOH, I've heard high schools can be very conservative when it comes to acceptance credits from other schools.  I think I heard some time ago about a high school that didn't accept any credits from another high school, and expected a student to begin again as a freshman.  So there's that.  

If you are a member of hs2coll search their messages. I just did a 2 sec search and found one of the discussions where the parents did not give grades but P/F bc they didn't wantadmissions to view their ds's transcript as padded by "mommy grades." They were told he was not accepted bc he did not have grades. In that same discussion, another family discussed being told that Ps were viewed as Cs. 

10 hours ago, Garga said:

I'm most likely going to use a cyber school for my son's 12th grade year.  I called someone at the cyber school and asked how they handle the transcript: would they create one for the 12th grade year and I'd create one for 9th-11th?  She said that they would create one transcript for all of his high school years, and that all of his 9th-11th grade classes would be listed as pass/fail.

I don't know much about pass/fail, but I don't think I like that.  He worked hard on those classes and 8 of them were from teachers other than me who calculated his grades (all A's so far.)  I also believe he earned As in the classes I taught.  He did a lot of work, all that was required of him in each class--both for me and for the other teachers.

Is this something I should call back about and say is unacceptable to me?    I'm not sure exactly what pass/fail really means.  I've never heard much about it, but it sounds like it can shortchange an A student.  No one will know if he passed with flying colors, or by the skin of his teeth.

I would absolutely not accept this. Think about admissions as being based on a numbering system. Test scores are assigned a value. GPA, as determined by the U not the high school, is assigned a value. Awards, ECs, recommendations, essays, etc are also assigned a value. These are all weighted differently, but GPA is going to be a huge factor in the process. No way I would accept a P for an A.

FWIW, most schools respect homeschool transcripts and treat homeschool-assigned grades at face value. They do NOT need to be outsourced grades assigned by someone other than mom in order for a U to accept an A as an A.

This PP might help you understand the process and make a decision:

http://www.manhassetsca.org/HighSchool/articles2010-11/DonBettertonpresentation2011.05.17.pdf

ETA: I wanted to share that yrs ago I accepted what I had been told by other homeschoolers--that homeschool honors courses taught at home were not viewed as honors, etc. After having gone through this process with multiple children of my own now, I no longer believe that to be true. I have witnessed the outcomes of my kids having taken multiple approaches. I have learned and adapted through the process. I now do label our home courses as honors and give my kids the credit they deserve for the work they have completed. In turn, Us have accepted my grades/courses descriptions at face value and my kids' acceptances/outcomes have been representative of their abilities.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 8

I also don’t believe the Pass/Fail = C, and will get some clarity on it but won’t be for another month or so until admission season is over. However what they are proposing to you seems like when you transfer credits into a college: they will give you credit but won’t calculate them into the GPA. Maybe if a college sees two years of P they will be prompted to look for another transcript (yours) for that time.

note that my kid is young and I haven’t been through this process with the kids so take for what it’s worth. 

9 hours ago, Lori D. said:

If you mean ONE P/F grade for PE on the transcript = not bad, as colleges do still see that a lot. If you mean wiping out 3 years of high school classes and all those grades for P/F = very bad!

Would this be ceding administration of grades and awarding of the diploma to the cyber school? Because then their transcript would be what is sent to colleges as the final overall transcript that would also be incorporating your homeschool work -- and essentially wiping out 3/4 of his earned high school GPA. That would be extremely detrimental to your student and not worth whatever benefits the cyber school would otherwise be giving you (in my opinion).

If, on the other hand, you are still maintaining ultimate authority and will be awarding your DS his diploma at the end of 12th grade, and the cyber school would be your outsourced class provider, then you would be taking their transcript and blending it in with your homeschool years to create DS's final transcript, and it wouldn't matter how the cyber school viewed your past homeschool grades.

Yes, I would contact the cyber school and tell them this is unacceptable and detrimental. I would assume your DS does not have all As on your homeschool transcript (which can look suspicious), and you can work with them to provide proof of grades awarded -- Math and Science tests, papers written for English, screen shots of emails or transcripts showing grades awarded by any outsourced class teachers, etc.

If they are willing to work with you, then make sure you get a *specific* agreement *signed and dated* with the cyber school head administrator AND registrar guaranteeing that they will include your student's homeschool *grades* as they appear on your homeschool transcript.

If they are unwilling to work with you, I would consider that a pretty big red flag about how other things might go next year in using this cyber school.

I think the first thing, though, is to find out whether you are still the ultimately administrator and the cyber school is simply all-outsourced courses from one provider... Or is the cyber school now the administrator.

Totally JMO. Good luck! Warmly, Lori D.

I agree with everything you wrote, Lori, except for the bolded. I have kids who are straight A students. They had all As on their high school transcripts and all As on their college transcripts as well. 

What looks suspicious is all advanced/honors courses with all As and low test scores. 

• Like 6

For those of you who do not believe that Ps translate to Cs, what do you think Us do for calculating gpas when they only factor core classes into their GPA formula and the classes with the Ps are going to be his core 9th-11th grade classes like the OP?

Considering that OP's child will have no letter grades until after 1st semester of 12th grade (so assuming some apps in before any letter grades at all) and those 1st semester grades will be all he has before all outcomes are made), how will the Us assess his actual performance in his coursework? 

Or do you think they just skip using GPA as part of their assessment?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

For those of you who do not believe that Ps translate to Cs, what do you think Us do for calculating gpas when they only factor core classes into their GPA formula and the classes with the Ps are going to be his core 9th-11th grade classes like the OP?

Considering that OP's child will have no letter grades until after 1st semester of 12th grade (so assuming some apps in before any letter grades at all) and those 1st semester grades will be all he has before all outcomes are made), how will the Us assess his actual performance in his coursework? 

Or do you think they just skip using GPA as part of their assessment?

I am only talking about the occasional P/F. If there’s two years of P/F and two years of letter grades, I imagine the adcoms would think this was a transfer situation and would request a transcript for those years. 

I believe but as I keep saying,’I don’t know, the occasional pass fail would be disregarded for GPA purposes but student would get a credit for having completed the class. Similar, again,  to a transfer institution granting credit but not counting in its own GPA for honors or whatever purposes classes that are transferred in.

i would ask you, (because again, I don’t know), what do you think would happen when say, DS goes to France or Germany this summer, gets college credit via Pass Fail (because Pass Fail is all they give) for two weeks of intensive language classes—is that a C on his transcript? 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

FWIW, most schools respect homeschool transcripts and treat homeschool-assigned grades at face value. They do NOT need to be outsourced grades assigned by someone other than mom in order for a U to accept an A as an A.

This has been our experience as well (with many fewer data points!).

However, I do think that it is critical for homeschoolers to have test scores that match their homeschool GPA and that any grades for outside classes are at least in the ballpark of the homeschool grades.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I am only talking about the occasional P/F. If there’s two years of P/F and two years of letter grades, I imagine the adcoms would think this was a transfer situation and would request a transcript for those years. 

I believe but as I keep saying,’I don’t know, the occasional pass fail would be disregarded for GPA purposes but student would get a credit for having completed the class. Similar, again,  to a transfer institution granting credit but not counting in its own GPA for honors or whatever purposes classes that are transferred in.

i would ask you, (because again, I don’t know), what do you think would happen when say, DS goes to France or Germany this summer, gets college credit via Pass Fail (because Pass Fail is all they give) for two weeks of intensive language classes—is that a C on his transcript? 

I would say that I wouldn't include a 2 week course on a high school transcript but in their extracurriculars.  

But, if my kids were taking a college course that only gave Ps for grades vs letter grades, I would be concerned if those were the only grades that they received in core course requirements b/c I know that core classes are what they insert into their GPA formulas.  It is not the norm for US institutions to not provide letter grades for semester long gen ed classes (and gen ed are essentially what constitute a high school core).

• Like 1

The university my dc attended specifically requested homeschool transcripts from students who had spent any time homeschooling during high school, even if they graduated from a traditional school.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I assumed it was because of situations like this one, where the school didn't include those grades on the final transcript. I would think the OP could submit her own transcript as being from a prior school attended, even if the school does produce a formal transcript with P grades.  

• Like 3

Definitely don't do all pass/fail for 9th-11th. How colleges view pass/fail probably varies and for some wouldn't impact admission at all. For other schools, I think P/F would have a big impact and it would certainly impact many scholarships.

As for some other comments - all A's on a homeschool transcript - I think this is fine if that is what the student earned. It happens in public school as well. More importantly, I think the course load, grades, ACT/SAT scores, and AP scores should be consistent.  I've not had any trouble awarding my boys all As (from me and outside teachers) and they have the ACT and AP scores to back it up.

As far as honors, I think it matters at SOME schools and not others. For my oldest, I emailed the counselor at the school he was most interested in and she said it didn't matter as they reweight everything (highly selective school). However, I think not putting honors designation kept him from getting certain scholarships as other schools will weight honors grades to give scholarships and if my grades are not "honors" then no extra weight. I will be giving honors designation for the rest of my kids.

• Like 1

OP here:

1.  After reading the replies and confirming that a P/F on three years’ worth of classes wouldn’t be good, I called the cyber school and spoke with their guidance department.  The person that I talked to said that they mark on their transcript that they have converted the homeschool grades to P/F.  At that point, the homeschool parents then also send in their own transcript with the grades earned to the college. She said that they’ve never had any issues with students/colleges doing it this way (two transcripts).

2.  I called the one college my son is interested in and asked them what they would expect.  They said that they would be able to see both transcripts and would look not at the P/F grades for his 9th-11th grade year, but would look at the transcript from the “homeschool evaluator” for 9th-11th.  They said they would need the evaluator’s sign off for each school year. 

3.  In my state, every homeschooler goes to an evaluator at the end of the school year who looks over samples of the student’s work and says, “Yup, this kid is getting educated,” and they sign a form (usually one they made up themselves) to that effect.  It so happens, that my evaluator belongs to a “diploma agency.”  It’s not legally necessary, but if you pay a nominal fee, the diploma agency will issue a diploma for the homeschooled student and will also issue the transcript.  I called that organization and asked if they will issue a transcript for 9th-11th grade only.  They will.

SO...I think all bases are covered for any scenario.  The cyber school indicates on the transcript that they’ve convered the grades to P/F.   The colleges will receive two transcripts and know to look at them both when they see all those P/Fs. The college my son is interested in says they prefer to see transcripts through that diploma agency, as they trust those evaluators and they trust that the agency has reviewed the student’s work.  And that agency said they would issue a transcript for 9th-11th only.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I would say that I wouldn't include a 2 week course on a high school transcript but in their extracurriculars.  

But, if my kids were taking a college course that only gave Ps for grades vs letter grades, I would be concerned if those were the only grades that they received in core course requirements b/c I know that core classes are what they insert into their GPA formulas.  It is not the norm for US institutions to not provide letter grades for semester long gen ed classes (and gen ed are essentially what constitute a high school core).

This is something I will have to follow up on.  My dd may attend a summer program that gives college credit this summer.  I didn’t know that the credit is generally given with a P/F score, though I did wonder about grades for such a short course.  I’m wondering if there would be a problem with not reporting the credit, though.  I thought it was a big deal to omit a college course taken during high school on the transcript when applying to colleges?

I do suspect we could ask the college in question if she could just audit the class and not be given college credit.

ETA:  Now that I think about it, this is not going to be for a core gen ed class, so maybe it doesn’t matter?  This is the first time I’m hearing that colleges recalculate the gpa based on core gen ed classes.  Interesting.

Edited by Mom0012

3 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I agree with everything you wrote, Lori, except for the bolded. I have kids who are straight A students. They had all As on their high school transcripts and all As on their college transcripts as well. 

What looks suspicious is all advanced/honors courses with all As and low test scores. 

Agree.

41 minutes ago, Garga said:

...  I called the cyber school and spoke with their guidance department...
 I called the one college my son is interested in and asked them what they would expect...

...SO...I think all bases are covered for any scnenario...

Whew! Then whatever you decide, hope it makes for a wonderful 12th grade year for both you and DS! hugs, Lori D.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mom0012 said:

This is something I will have to follow up on.  My dd may attend a summer program that gives college credit this summer.  I didn’t know that the credit is generally given with a P/F score, though I did wonder about grades for such a short course.  I’m wondering if there would be a problem with not reporting the credit, though.  I thought it was a big deal to omit a college course taken during high school on the transcript when applying to colleges?

I do suspect we could ask the college in question if she could just audit the class and not be given college credit.

ETA:  Now that I think about it, this is not going to be for a core gen ed class, so maybe it doesn’t matter?  This is the first time I’m hearing that colleges recalculate the gpa based on core gen ed classes.  Interesting.

I still don’t know if the various things DS is doing come with P/F credit. I’ve some emails in, but I can’t really ask until he hears from another program (which would conflict with this one. His summer is a mess).

i didn’t want to respond again to 8 in this tangent off the OP question, but I’d have no problem excluding it on my transcript because it’s an extra thing. But like you say all college credit needs reported, so I also don’t know. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I still don’t know if the various things DS is doing come with P/F credit. I’ve some emails in, but I can’t really ask until he hears from another program (which would conflict with this one. His summer is a mess).

i didn’t want to respond again to 8 in this tangent off the OP question, but I’d have no problem excluding it on my transcript because it’s an extra thing. But like you say all college credit needs reported, so I also don’t know. 

I’m ok with threads taking a tangent.  🙂

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

42 minutes ago, Mom0012 said:

Submitting a transcript is not the same as including it on your high school transcript.

In terms of the recalculation, yes, they often remove courses like PE, health, band, and reweigh GPAs (AP, honors, standard)'according to their own formula.

This is an example of a reweighting policy. It does not say what they do with P/F. (FWIW, my DD had 2 P/F non-core classes on her transcript.) 

• Like 2

Probably not relevant to the OP, but for any parents of athletes who may be reading this thread, the NCAA converts all "Pass" grades to a D, which obviously has a significant impact on GPA.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Garga said:

OP here:

1.  After reading the replies and confirming that a P/F on three years’ worth of classes wouldn’t be good, I called the cyber school and spoke with their guidance department.  The person that I talked to said that they mark on their transcript that they have converted the homeschool grades to P/F.  At that point, the homeschool parents then also send in their own transcript with the grades earned to the college. She said that they’ve never had any issues with students/colleges doing it this way (two transcripts).

SO...I think all bases are covered for any scenario.  The cyber school indicates on the transcript that they’ve convered the grades to P/F.   The colleges will receive two transcripts and know to look at them both when they see all those P/Fs. The college my son is interested in says they prefer to see transcripts through that diploma agency, as they trust those evaluators and they trust that the agency has reviewed the student’s work.  And that agency said they would issue a transcript for 9th-11th only.  

This is good.  Will the cyber school provide a counselor who will complete the student's Common App?  Since I acted as a counselor I was able to upload my own homeschool transcript as well as some other transcripts from PAH and CC (with a pass grade!).  IIRC, I appended the PDFs into one big document because I didn't have enough fields for everything.  If you trust this cyber counselor to get all the forms uploaded correctly, then you should be in good shape.  

51 minutes ago, daijobu said:

This is good.  Will the cyber school provide a counselor who will complete the student's Common App?  Since I acted as a counselor I was able to upload my own homeschool transcript as well as some other transcripts from PAH and CC (with a pass grade!).  IIRC, I appended the PDFs into one big document because I didn't have enough fields for everything.  If you trust this cyber counselor to get all the forms uploaded correctly, then you should be in good shape.  

I don’t know much about the common app.  Is it either or?  Either the counselor does the whole thing OR the homeschooling parent?  Or can both add to it?  

Is the Common App something I can find somewhere and start looking at so I can see for myself what it has?  Like, I’m assuming that somewhere on there, there’s a place for course descriptions.  Somehow or other, I’m assuming I’ll have to add the course descriptions for the 9th-11th grade classes?  Or do course descriptions go somewhere else?  

33 minutes ago, Garga said:

I don’t know much about the common app.  Is it either or?  Either the counselor does the whole thing OR the homeschooling parent?  Or can both add to it?  

Is the Common App something I can find somewhere and start looking at so I can see for myself what it has?  Like, I’m assuming that somewhere on there, there’s a place for course descriptions.  Somehow or other, I’m assuming I’ll have to add the course descriptions for the 9th-11th grade classes?  Or do course descriptions go somewhere else?  

Yes, you can explore the CA in advance of college admission season to see what it's like.  I did this and it was very, very helpful.  Unfortunately you cannot create a counselor account until a student invites you to be his/her counselor, but there is a workaround.  Create a new email address on gmail or something and use that to register with the Common App as a student.  Then invite yourself to be a counselor.  Now you can create your counselor account and go from there.  

If the cyber school counselor agrees, you can share an account and password, but that sounds a bit icky to me.  The counselor is uploading confidential information including a letter of recommendation that normally a parent or student isn't privy to.  (Although what does it mean when the parent is the counselor?)  I would feel more comfortable providing your counselor with the required documents so that this person can complete the forms herself.  But I don't feel strongly about this.  

Familiarize yourself with the CA and post your questions here or on the WTM College Board.  You'll find a lot of my questions in the archives!  

49 minutes ago, Garga said:

...Is the Common App something I can find somewhere and start looking at so I can see for myself what it has?  ...

Check out some of the threads specifically about the Common App, linked on PAGE 2 of the "College Motherlode" thread, pinned at the top of the WTM college board.

Other helps:
- Khan Academy: Filling out the Common App walk-through
- Common App: Common App Tutorials
- CollegeWise: Common App guide -- 65-page print/pdf file

11 hours ago, Garga said:

If he's graduating through the cyber school, they will most likely insist on being the counselor for the Common App  (not all schools use the CA). So, only the cyber counselor will habe access to the parts where course descriptions & transcripts would be uploaded. I would highly doubt the counselor would ask for your course descriptions. They might upload your transcript along with theirs, but that is about all I would count on.

The only positive is that the cyber school counselor might be more proficient in putting your kid forward in the best light to schools. Maybe.

(Note that I would not use a cyber school for my kid's final year of homeschool if I could help it. Too much could go wrong with any of this. Plus, some stranger would be in charge of writing the counselor recommendation. That would be a Nope for us. So, understand that's the perspective I'm coming from.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

(Note that I would not use a cyber school for my kid's final year of homeschool if I could help it. Too much could go wrong with any of this. Plus, some stranger would be in charge of writing the counselor recommendation. That would be a Nope for us. So, understand that's the perspective I'm coming from.)

I understand your point of view.  Due to what I am now realizing is some pretty serious anxiety (now that I know what it looks like, I’m realizing he’s been struggling with this for a long time and it’s not mild.  It affects him a lot all day long), and the fact that he can attend the community college where my dh works for free, my son will most likely start his first two years of college at the community college.  It’s hard to stress in words alone without body language just how much my son hates the idea of going away to college.  He hates it with every fiber of his being.  He is being treated for the anxiety, but we’ve just started the treatments.  Maybe a year from now, he’ll completely change, but it would be a change that would like grass turning blue and the sky turning green. 

As far as I know, things like a counselor letter will become moot if he starts at a community college.  (Or am I wrong?) By the time he’s a junior in college he’ll be 20, and I seriously hope that by then he’ll be ready to go away to college for his junior and senior year.  And if he’s a transfer student, then the Common App is different.  Will he even need a high school counselor letter at that point?  

He also will most likely be going to the state college closest to our home (still an hour away), and they accept all the CC’s credits.  They have an 89% acceptance rate.  I am aware that he might end up wanting to pursue a career that is competitive and requires that he attend a certain school, but if he’s starting out at the local CC, the counselor letter from the high school just won’t carry all that much weight.  It’ll be what he does at the CC that carries more weight.

I mean, I’m aware that things can change in the future.  But, I also have to make decisions on what information I have in front of me now.  So, I’m still making sure he takes rigorous courses and has proper transcripts and course descriptions and everything.  I’ve had him take an SAT prep class, and I’ve made sure he has accommodations for his slow processing on the SAT test so he can get the best score possible for him.  But for a student who’s going directly to CC and then on to the state college that isn’t too hard to get into...I think I’m safe for the cyber school.  

Because at this point, the way that I homeschool is exactly like the way schools school.  I don’t homeschool anymore.  I school at home.  I don’t do anything fancy.  The offerings at the cyber school are exactly the classes that I’d have to outsource to someone else anyway (math, science, social studies.).  I would only teach him English at home and maybe some other elective where we’d just get some sort of book for him to go through, or a Great Course to watch—but he likes the electives offered by the cyber school, so why not use them as the source?  Basically, everything I woudl do at home next year, would be simply recreating what this cyber school offers.  But for a lot more money and a lot more effort with the exact same result.  

If my son was different and showed even a tiny glimmer of wanting to go to a four-year college straight away, I might rethink the decision.  But for the student in front of me, it doesn’t really make sense.  The past two years have been a bit pointless as far as homeschooling.  I pretty much never see him all day anyway.  He’s in front of the computer for his online classes.  I sit with him while he reads his economics book, just because it’s nice to sit with him.  We both read the book silently together, and then he tells me the answers to some thought questions out loud and I grade a test he takes every few chapters...I assign him books to read for English, but he’s not a talker, so when we “discuss” the books, it turns more into a monologue from me.  He writes a paper about a book from time to time.  ASL has been fun.  My two sons and I are learning ASL and we sign together (but next year, we’ll be done with language requirements and he’ll move on to something else.)

Look, he’s a great kid.  And educating him through 8th grade was a delight.  What we did was vibrant and wonderful.  But high school has been different.  I can’t teach half of his classes (math/science esp) and he doesn’t have special interests, so we end up doing what the schools do. For some of his classes, I’ve been very creative and they’ve been great (astronomy and egyptology), but most of the classes for high school have been a bit blah.  The online ones have been great, but the ones I do with him, like economics are a bit boring.  I think the cyber school will actually be better for the few classes I wouldn’t have to outsource and that I would teach him.  If the only benefit to homeschooling him is access to the counselor letter...then I’m not sure it’s worth it for our situation.  I can still get my transcript and course descriptions to the college one way or another.

I didn’t mean for that to get so long!  I think writing it out helped me to think through what I’m doing and why.

If anyone reads this and sees a serious flaw in my thoughts, please, please say so.  I don’t want to make the wrong decision, but for the student in front of me, I’m pretty sure this is the right decision.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Gotcha. I do know what it is like to have a child with anxiety. I have one. That one has chosen to not outsource anything. It is easier to deal with the pace of the work, working to mastery, and keep the school anxiety to a decent level with the work at home. (To each their own!) That one of mine doesn't want to "go away" to college, either, so that kid will likely start off (and maybe finish) at the local state college and live at home. 

As a transfer, no counselor letter & possibly (probably) no Common App. So, I think you are making the right decision for the situation you are looking at. I don't know the admission policies at the community college your DH works at, but likely no counselor letter OR course descriptions needed for that, either.  (The local state college here needed test scores for placement & a transcript along with a short application. Basically just a bit more than they wanted for the DE classes my DD#1 took.)

• Like 3

He could start with mostly community college online courses after high school to lessen the anxiety. My kids have “dorm-phobia” and are looking at commuter universities.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

He could start with mostly community college online courses after high school to lessen the anxiety. My kids have “dorm-phobia” and are looking at commuter universities.

The college offers a lot of online courses, due to the fact that so many of their students are adults who work full time and are going back to college later in life.

• Like 1

Then disregard nearly everything I described.  I thought he was applying to a four year college, possibly competitive.  Check with your local CC and see what they need from you for an application, but I doubt you need to worry about GPA and P/F.  

• Like 1