Menu

Saxon math k pennies?

Momlife

Hi this is my first post but im at a loss here. So i have been doing saxon math k with my child and it wants me to start teaching pennies. Here in canada we havnt used pennies for quiet some time. Is there anyone else who has ran into this if so what did you do? Do i teach the pennies anyway?

Edited by Momlife

I would simply because it is an easy concept for young kids to understand and will help them see that there is or was a base unit that is/was counted in ones. I would just add in there as a side note to the child that your country doesn't use pennies anymore, and maybe why if they are interested, but they used to and that's why you are learning about them. Nothing wrong with mixing some light history in with math, lol! Other countries do still have pennies or a coin that represents "one cent" in their currency and if you travel, that might be something you can bring up too.

57 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I would simply because it is an easy concept for young kids to understand and will help them see that there is or was a base unit that is/was counted in ones. I would just add in there as a side note to the child that your country doesn't use pennies anymore, and maybe why if they are interested, but they used to and that's why you are learning about them. Nothing wrong with mixing some light history in with math, lol! Other countries do still have pennies or a coin that represents "one cent" in their currency and if you travel, that might be something you can bring up too.

Thanks so much for your reply

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 2:02 AM, parent said:

The kids usually use it to help count by 1s, then 5s, then 10s, then transition skip counting.  So I'll give child 3 dimes, 3 nickels and 3 pennies, and he will count 10, 20, 30, 35, 40, 45, 46, 47, 48 .  We do the same thing on the abacus too, but I think money makes it more exciting.  Visit the US, and he'll be able to put the penny practice to use. They are still in circulation 🙂 

Thank you for responding and your insight ! Yes i agree i am going to include the penny just explain we no longer use them here in canada.