Menu

What's with the ads?

DawnM

College and living away from home

You might look into turmeric. I've been taking it for my asthma and just googling it seems like it can help the inflammation of other things too. https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/triple-strength-curcumin-900-mg-120-capsules/vs-2564  this is the one I'm taking. It's not cheap, but it works really fast, like noticeably better in a day. I take 1 capsule 3-4 times a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, bed). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

You might look into turmeric. I've been taking it for my asthma and just googling it seems like it can help the inflammation of other things too. https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/triple-strength-curcumin-900-mg-120-capsules/vs-2564  this is the one I'm taking. It's not cheap, but it works really fast, like noticeably better in a day. I take 1 capsule 3-4 times a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, bed). 

FWIW--My rheumatologist says 500 mg. of turmeric twice a day is plenty. That's for me (RA); I don't know if it would be different for people with other conditions. But what you're taking really seems like a huge, huge dosage. You might could cut back, save some money and still get the same results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I have seen that mentioned.  Not sure he will take it.  He would have to break them open and eat it.  He can't swallow pills.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

FWIW--My rheumatologist says 500 mg. of turmeric twice a day is plenty. That's for me (RA); I don't know if it would be different for people with other conditions. But what you're taking really seems like a huge, huge dosage. You might could cut back, save some money and still get the same results.

Interesting. I arrived at it because it's what it is taking to keep my asthma under control. That's interesting though. And when I first started (9 months ago) I had to take 4 a day or I had breakthrough symptoms. Now I'm usually fine at 3 a day. So maybe I was just terribly inflamed? I don't know, lol. My GP said turmeric is hard on the kidneys and that that would be the thing to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if they're balancing concerns like that. I was getting pneumonia and bronchitis 4 times a year and spiraling down, so I was just glad it worked. I could play with it and see if I stay stable at 2X a day. I've got spring coming up, so I'm going to be pretty cautious.

So do your labs for your RA alter when you take the turmeric? How dramatic have been the changes with it? 

This was the study I first read when deciding to try the turmeric. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4190737/  It's saying up to 3.6g/day is GRAS (generally recognized as safe) for a period of 1-4 months. The study got progress with 2g/day but that was add-on therapy. I think I decided to be generous because I was trying to get completely off my inhalers. So even at 4 capsules a day I'm within GRAS levels. 

The other issue is that the products say one thing on the bottle but are standardized to a different level. So something might say this or that on the front and be standardized to a much lower level. But they're saying it can be safe up to 8g/day.

As for cost, I was paying $60 for the one inhaler and the 2nd was going to be $200 once my "free year" ran out. And I was still getting sick on top of that. So I'm saving money big time, lol. Yeah, the turmeric is expensive. We'll see. Spring is coming up and I'm going to be careful. I probably should take an antihistamine (wool rugs, dog, etc.) but it gives me headaches. 

Edited by PeterPan

30 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

So do your labs for your RA alter when you take the turmeric? How dramatic have been the changes with it? 

I'm on two prescription DMARDs as well as turmeric. And I started the second DMARD at the same time I started turmeric. So it's not possible to really determine which of them is helping most, or if it's the combo of all of them.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm on two prescription DMARDs as well as turmeric. And I started the second DMARD at the same time I started turmeric. So it's not possible to really determine which of them is helping most, or if it's the combo of all of them.

Interesting. Well you could flip it and see for yourself. What I'm reading doesn't seem to indicate that 500mg is some sort of max. They're going much higher in these studies. Of course I don't have RA and it might be that for RA that caps the benefit. But for the asthma, yeah they're taking it a lot higher. I definitely feel the difference and can measure the difference with my peak flow meter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Interesting. Well you could flip it and see for yourself. What I'm reading doesn't seem to indicate that 500mg is some sort of max. They're going much higher in these studies. Of course I don't have RA and it might be that for RA that caps the benefit. But for the asthma, yeah they're taking it a lot higher. I definitely feel the difference and can measure the difference with my peak flow meter.

Flip it? You mean go off the DMARDs? No heck no. I've seen up close and personal what happens when someone thinks they can treat RA with all natural stuff. It's not a risk I"m willing to take. The joints might be feeling okay while silent damage is being done to heart, lungs, eyes, etc.

20 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Flip it? You mean go off the DMARDs? No heck no.

Oh I totally agree. I just meant flip the argument mentally. You were saying 500mg was enough, and I was saying what if you flipped that and asked what is a dose that would max out the benefit for your situation. That's what I did with mine and it was much higher. But yeah, I agree no pipe dreams on the RA meds. I know someone who did natural stuff and her family was like please, please use meds. It's the problem I don't ever want, ugh. 

• Like 1