Menu

If we didn't like Apologia Chemistry.....

is there any chance we will like Wile's new chemistry program Discovering Design with Chem?  I liked Chemistry in school, but found Apologia to be wordy and boring, and it didn't have enough practice problems for my older son.  This is being used with our local lab group, so I can't change the curriculum being used, we would just have to do it on our own or do an online class instead if we didn't participate.  These kids are some of my son's closest friends- so obviously he really wants to continue with the group.

• Like 1

I think your son liking the group is worth a million bucks! 🙂

Is your son struggling with reading it because of the wordiness or just whining/complaining about how wordy it is?  If he's truly struggling of course you may need to find another curriculum with or without the group.

If he's doing fine but just complaining, I would just ask him to stop complaining, and that no book or curriculum is perfect.  Remind him that he enjoys being with the group and this is what they have chosen.

And you can tell him he has the option of using another book but that would mean leaving the group, and look at some samples together.  

36 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

I think your son liking the group is worth a million bucks! 🙂

Is your son struggling with reading it because of the wordiness or just whining/complaining about how wordy it is?  If he's truly struggling of course you may need to find another curriculum with or without the group.

If he's doing fine but just complaining, I would just ask him to stop complaining, and that no book or curriculum is perfect.  Remind him that he enjoys being with the group and this is what they have chosen.

And you can tell him he has the option of using another book but that would mean leaving the group, and look at some samples together.  

Actually this is for my younger son for fall- he's not currently using it at all.  He is in biology and hasn't struggled with the Apologia biology text, although he does say he wishes the author would stop saying things like "We aren't going to cover that in this course" over and over. 
(My older son was who I was talking about had used Apologia chem and needed more practice, and I was the one who didn't care for Apologia.  Sorry for the confusion.)

So maybe just go with the lab group?  I want him to take Clover Valley Honors Chem in his junior or senior year, and was leaning towards that for regular chem this year...but he really wants to be with his friends one more year....  

Edited by Homemama2
  • Like 1

I am currently teaching Apologia Biology at a co-op and have decided to use Dr. Wile's Discovering Design with Chemistry for next year.   You can actually download the entire first module, along with all of the Comprehension Check (same as O.Y.O.) questions and Review questions (same as Study Guides) from the publisher at https://bereanbuilders.com/ecomm/product/discovering-design-with-chemistry/.  

My opinion based on a quick read through of the book is that the tone is very similar to Apologia Biology but it's meatier and (obviously) very math-heavy.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SebastianCat said:

I am currently teaching Apologia Biology at a co-op and have decided to use Dr. Wile's Discovering Design with Chemistry for next year.   You can actually download the entire first module, along with all of the Comprehension Check (same as O.Y.O.) questions and Review questions (same as Study Guides) from the publisher at https://bereanbuilders.com/ecomm/product/discovering-design-with-chemistry/.  

My opinion based on a quick read through of the book is that the tone is very similar to Apologia Biology but it's meatier and (obviously) very math-heavy.

Thank you!  I didn't realize that.  Off to check it out!