Menu

College admissions essay workshop or consultation

3andme

My dd took Maya’s class a couple of years ago and she gave good feedback on a creative writing assignment they did, so my dd is going to take her college essay class this summer.

Another option is Bravewriter’s college essay class, which I used for my ds.  It was great for getting him to write the essay, but the feedback wasn’t nearly as in-depth as what Maya offers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

Another option is Bravewriter’s college essay class, which I used for my ds.  It was great for getting him to write the essay, but the feedback wasn’t nearly as in-depth as what Maya offers.

My dd#1 reluctantly took the BW essay class last fall. It was disappointing. The process seemed forced, half the assignments went nowhere, and the feedback was late, limited, and (lame?) mostly rah-rah with a bit of cheesy "give me more."

I made her take it so she would get that essay done. But I can't recommend the class (and, since it is the only BW class I've personally seen, I am turned off all BW classes altogether, though I know class quality depends highly on the teacher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

My dd#1 reluctantly took the BW essay class last fall. It was disappointing. The process seemed forced, half the assignments went nowhere, and the feedback was late, limited, and (lame?) mostly rah-rah with a bit of cheesy "give me more."

I made her take it so she would get that essay done. But I can't recommend the class (and, since it is the only BW class I've personally seen, I am turned off all BW classes altogether, though I know class quality depends highly on the teacher.

Wow - we have not done that BW class but  I thought the other high school classes we took through BW were fantastic.  And we've had like 4 different teachers.  Interesting.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RootAnn said:

@FuzzyCatz Well, there was another mom who had experience with that particular BW class with another (older) kid. She had been impressed with it, so enrolled a second child in last fall's version. That mom agreed this past fall's class was very disappointing. YMMV.

I guess that was me.  My dd did not care for the class at all and would agree with Rootann’s assessment of the class.  As do I.  However, I was pleased with it for my ds because he just needed an outside teacher with deadlines and encouragement.  The rah-rah encouragement really spurred him on to do his best as this type of writing is particularly difficult for him. He tried Maya’s essay class and walked away with nothing. On the other hand, when my dd, who loves this more creative type of writing, did the BW class, she walked away with nothing. Lol. So YMMV, definitely.  Thank you, RootAnn, for spurring me on to further elaborate about our experiences with these classes.  I’d hate to give anyone a bum steer.  Just trying to list the options because different things work for different kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My daughter did Maya Inspektor's essay class last summer. Overall it was a very good experience, and she wrote an essay that's been pretty successful so far (acceptances and merit aid at all of her safeties). We'll know more about exactly how successful in the next few weeks lol!

The main reason I had her do the class was to have someone other than me work with her on her essay! I knew it was going to be a tough assignment for her, and I was so happy to find a way for her to get outside support and validation. It was also so great to get that part of the admissions process done over the summer! It made the whole endless application season go just a bit more smoothly.

• Like 3

I've had two boys go through Brave Writer's College Admission Essay class. The first time, a few years ago< was amazing. Great process and great feedback. Helped my son produce an amazing essay that was unmistakably his. This past fall, my senior did the BW class. It was not as good the second time through - the feedback was lacking, and therefore the editing was what he could do on his own rather than improved by BW feedback.

I still think the BW class is good and would do it again. Also having had Maya Inspecktor as a teacher, I don't like her feedback as well.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 8:45 PM, 3andme said:

Has anyone had a dc take the Admissions Essay Workshop (Maya Inspektor) at PAHS?.  Or can you suggest another workshop or private consultant that can help edit/provide advice on college admission essays? I just feel like ds will not be very receptive to my input on his essays and I'm hoping to find some intermediary to help him.

My son took two AP English classes from Maya Inspektor. She is truly the finest English teacher I have ever seen - better than most college professor. Ds got his only C in university from the required writing class where the professor told them that she wanted them to forget everything they ever learned in Ap English. My son has never earned lower than an "A" on over two dozen college papers in three years. She is brilliant.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 2:05 PM, Arcadia said:

I have bookmarked Barbara Hettle for my kids due to many favorable comments over the years from people who has used her services. https://hettle.com/services/

quark mentioned she is not doing college admission counseling at the moment but she might be opened to doing admissions essay help. 

Ds worked with Barbara on his essay for college admissions. Her feedback was invaluable. She can help tease out the things that make a student different from his peers in ways the rest of us just don't think about. He was accepted to all eight colleges that he applied to - with scholarships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Both my ds and did have taken AP Claases with Maya Inspektor, and dd took her college essay class last summer. She gave excellent feedback!  Ds has been accepted at all 10 schools she has applied to with merit aide everywhere. Mrs. Inspektor is really an amazing instructor. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2019 at 5:00 PM, kirag714 said:

My daughter did Maya Inspektor's essay class last summer. Overall it was a very good experience, and she wrote an essay that's been pretty successful so far (acceptances and merit aid at all of her safeties). We'll know more about exactly how successful in the next few weeks lol!

The main reason I had her do the class was to have someone other than me work with her on her essay! I knew it was going to be a tough assignment for her, and I was so happy to find a way for her to get outside support and validation. It was also so great to get that part of the admissions process done over the summer! It made the whole endless application season go just a bit more smoothly.

Agree with all of this.  My son did the "intensive" (3-week) session, which was great for getting it done and not letting it drag out forever.  Her feedback was very helpful (especially considering DS didn't give her much to work with at first!) and I know his final essay was far better than it would have been otherwise.

I looked into some of Ethan Sawyer's stuff (mentioned by another poster), and I liked it, but DS didn't seem to click with it.  I'd recommend having your child investigate the site and see if it's a match, and decide from there whether to try more than one source.

• Like 1