Menu

To many geometry choices

Hello!

I always make my curriculum choices from the suggestions posted here, usually from reading other peoples posts. Thanks for so much advice, given to others and myself!

My 15 yo boy is finishing up Foerster Alg 1, he has used Math Without Boarders videos when he needs help but not daily. He has grumped and complained the whole way through but has done wonderfully in the course. My DD 13yo is half way through Jacob's Alg 1 for pre algebra, and will switch over to Forester when her brother finishes with the text. 

So we are on to Geometry. I have Jacob's Geometry, 2nd edition. It was given to me with the teachers manual. I was looking at using Math Without Boarders instead because of the videos,( and the price is affordable). The method used to teach the MWB seems pretty interesting to me as well, I think it is somewhat similar to AOPS, which I have a 3rd kid using Beast, and the two older have used AOPS PreAlg, but neither really did well with it. I already have Foerester's Alg2 and Trig book for after Geometry.

I remember loving geometry in school, but don't really remember much about it. So my teaching ability will be based on what YouTube, Khan or the teachers manual has to provide. I don't mind figuring it out either, I enjoy it when I have the time. 

Any suggestions or reasons I should pick one or the other? Any other suggestions? We don't have reliable internet so no live classes or classes that I can't use with the next two kids. 

Thank you for reading my questions!

Since you were GIFTED with the pure gold of Jacobs 2nd ed. Geometry -- I'd go with that! (But only if your students clicked with Jacobs Algebra.) It's a solid, incremental program, and as long as you are okay with grading proofs and understanding whether or not your student's proof is logically correct (because not every student proof will look identical to those in the answer key), and as long as your students don't need video instruction or more intensive helps, then you would likely be fine with Jacobs. (While I'm not bad at math, I'm also not a math whiz, and I did fine following along and being able to grade, even when DS's proofs varied from those in the answer key.)

If needing/wanting videos or visual helps, then along with your Math Without Borders, you and your students might also look into one of these programs and see which seems to be the best fit for them:

Chalkdust Geometry (video-based lessons)
Teaching Textbooks Geometry (video-based lessons)
VideoText Interactive Geometry (video-based lessons)
Kinetic Books Geometry (digital textbook with animations & interactive simulations)
Tablet Class Geometry (video tutorials)
Thinkwell Geometry (video lessons)

Edited by Lori D.

15 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Since you were GIFTED with the pure gold of Jacobs 2nd ed. Geometry -- I'd go with that! (But only if your students clicked with Jacobs Algebra.) 

I don't think you like Jacob's at all. 😂

Thanks for all the links and the confirmation that Jacob's really is a good choice. I was worried that it was subpar against the 3rd edition. 

7 minutes ago, MommaBea said:

I don't think you like Jacob's at all. 😂

LOL! A little obvious, was it?! (:D

7 minutes ago, MommaBea said:

Thanks for all the links and the confirmation that Jacob's really is a good choice. I was worried that it was subpar against the 3rd edition. 

Actually, even though it's older and doesn't have the matching video lessons that the 3rd ed. has, the 2nd ed. is frequently the preferred edition due to the much clearer organization and "self-teachability". Also, the instruction of proofs tends to be much more clear in the 2nd ed. rather than the 3rd ed.

Whether you use the Jacobs Geometry or not, you can re-sell the 2nd ed. student text + teacher guide together as a set for a worthwhile amount of $$, as it is hard to find both books as a set. 

Edited by Lori D.