Menu

Another Honorary Kid

Eos

Last year I helped one of my "honorary" kids apply to colleges; he ended up at Green Mountain College.  Now that GMC is closing, he is having to make some new choices but I haven't heard yet.  I'm sorry that GMC is closing - 185 years is a long time.

I've been doing college visits with another honorary - this time the older daughter of a homeschooling friend who died when her two girls were 9 and 11.  Now the older one is a junior at public high school, and we've looked at Bates, Colby, Wheaton, and Boston College, and will travel to Bard and Oberlin next month.  We both loved Wheaton - small and friendly, great energy.  

I'm so grateful to be able to take this young woman on these visits and talk about her future plans.  She loves history and will probably major in it.  I sometimes imagine myself as a reflecting mirror, trying to beam images of her to her mom in heaven.  

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 8

Thank you for "remembering your friend" and  for taking her daughter on these trips. I'm guessing it is a bittersweet time for you.

It can be hard for a surviving spouse to make college visits work with other kids/responsibilities, so I'm sure your efforts are appreciated by dad and daughter. I have great memories of the college visits I made with my older kids, and I am sad I didn't do any visits with my current senior.

• Like 1