Menu

What's with the ads?

Medicmom2.0

Hotel pool WWYD

I swear I run into the oddest situations.

I am at a local hotel with a nice pool for the night, specifically because so my kids could swim.  We go down the pool and there’s another child, around 8 or 9, alone in the pool. This is a hotel pool so there’s no lifeguard. I ask her where her parents are and what her name is, and she gives me her name and says she doesn’t speak much English.  Says her dad is working here at the hotel.  While we are in the pool other families come, and she shoves their kids into the pool, is running all over; throwing the safety rings off the wall into the pool and generally making a nuisance of herself. The other moms tell her to stop touching their kids, and eventually complain to the front desk who doesn’t seem very concerned and says she’s there a lot and they’ll get a hold of her dad. 30 minutes later still no parent.  Finally she shoves my littlest into the pool and I’ve had enough so we leave.  I’m ticked because (a) people should watch their kids and (b) I paid a reasonable amount of money for this room specifically for the pool.

WWYD? Complain again here? Call corporate?  My husband thinks it rises to the level of neglect and I should hotline it as a mandated reporter, but I’m not sure it goes that far.  If it matters, he’s had a pediatric drowning in this very pool and that child didn’t live.  I am astounded the hotel management allows this at all.

(BTW I suspect this is fundamentally a child care issue while Dad works. It’s a huge problem for low income people in the city we’re in. I’m sympathetic to that. I’ve had to take my kids to work with me for that reason too, but I’m dispatching at an ambulance company and they play on their kindles and watch movies quietly, not allowing them to swim unsupervised and annoy customers.)

ETA: This is a Marriott, if it matters, so a reputable chain.

Edited by Medicmom2.0
  • Sad 5

Yeah, I would call corporate. The hotel management is incredibly foolish to allow that to go on, both from a liability and a customer service perspective. 

I can see your dh's point because that is neglectful and so dangerous. A 9 year old child just drowned recently in a hotel pool near us.😞

• Like 18

I would email corporate and cc the local manager as well. If you remember the name of the staff member you told, then I would include that too. I would reiterate that the staff knew she was there and that she was an employees child. She was not a fellow guest's child.  She was obnoxious and acting dangerously towards others and herself. 

I too, have taken a child to work. She sat in the lobby and played on her phone, in full view of me or my fellow staff at all times.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'd complain again to the desk and let them know that my next complaint will go up the chain. 

I don't know about calling child services. It's not a great situation but I am sympathetic to the dad as well. I'm surprised that the hotel is allowing it, given the liability. Hanging out in the lobby or an empty conference room with toys is one thing. Swimming alone is a bad idea, even for adults.

Edited by PeachyDoodle
  • Like 1

Yep, I would absolutely call corporate over that.  I really am sympathetic to the issue of child care, but this is a huge safety issue, both for the little girl and the hotel.  

As for neglect...............this is SO close to the line.  Having been a mandated reporter this is one that I would just not be sure about.  Having said that, your DH is also a mandated reporter, correct?  If my DH was as concerned as you describe your DH, he would call if I didn't.  

ETA: my mom and I spend a few nights a year in various hotels, and the highlight of the stay for my kids IS the pool.  If we had been at that pool in that situation, my mom would have been at the front desk approx. every ten minutes.  And after about 3 times she would be calling corporate from the pool.  

ETA2:  Actually, I thought about it some more.  Actually, what probably would have happened is that the first time we realized the kid was by herself, what probably would have happened is that we would have called the girl over, then walked her to the front desk.  One of us staying with my kids while the other walked her to the desk.  "Hey, this little girl says she was down by the pool by herself, I am afraid she might be lost or something, do you know her parents room number?"

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Like 1

I'd call as a mandatory reporter. Child services might help pay for daycare.

ETA:  In so MANY situations I've seen where I've taken in a medically fragile child after they were hurt there were multiple mandatory reporters who were afraid to call.  Had CPS intervened BEFORE the child was hurt the child could have avoided permanent brain damage.  CPS's goal is to keep families together, and they do stuff like help pay for day care in order to do so. It isn't safe for any child to be in a pool alone, let alone the way she was acting with other children.  For that matter I may have called police after repeatedly watching her assault other kids.

Edited by Katy

DH isn’t here, or I am sure he would have hotlines it already.  As I said we are staying locally and he worked a drowning here, so I am sure that’s front and center in his mind.

I just want to be rational.  I’m sure it’s a dad just trying to provide for his family and I’d have no issues at all if she was just hanging out in the lobby or the breakfast area.  

I tried calling guest services and the front desk from my room and no one answered.  My kids are hungry and mad about no swimming so I don’t want to drag them down there right now.  I was thinking of waiting until after shift change and also asking to speak to the manager tomorrow.

Edited by Medicmom2.0
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

DH isn’t here, or I am sure he would have hotlines it already.  As I said we are staying locally and he worked a drowning here, so I am sure that’s front and center in his mind.

I just want to be rational.  I’m sure it’s a dad just trying to provide for his family and I’d have no issues at all if she was just hanging out in the lobby or the breakfast area.  

Then go back to the front desk and say you’re not leaving until the dad or another hotel employee supervises that child or gets her out of that pool. 

Seriously.

This is a safety issue, and it’s also an issue of you not being able to use the pool because that child is so disruptive.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 17

I'd call corporate. I'm sympathetic to the childcare aspect, but that's just downright dangerous.

I'd strongly considering calling CPS. My SIL did a lot of work with populations like this during an internship. A lot of times the people just had no clue what the American norms re childcare are. She'd see 5 year olds left to care for younger siblings while mom and dad went out and worked or whatever. Her job mainly consisted of connecting them with resources like childcare, food pantries, SNAP, housing, and other benefits. She'd personally drive them places and help them fill out paperwork. I'm just saying...there are social workers who've seen it all, and they'd just roll up their sleeves and do whatever's necessary. 

• Like 2

I would not be thrilled about her hanging around in a hotel lobby or wandering around alone, as it sure seems like some creep could pull her into a room or something. And who would know? So...pool is not safe,  but neither is hanging around a hotel unsupervised. 

• Like 3

You could call corporate and let them know the front desk was informed of a child swimming alone in the pool and that they did nothing about it when reported.  That will put some pressure on them to stop allowing this unsafe situation. 

• Like 2

You are a mandatory reporter.  Hotline it.  CPS is not going to take a child into foster care just for this, they're going to mandate parenting classes and pay for childcare until the dad can pay for it himself. Seriously, you could be saving this child's life by calling.  You could lose your entire planned career by not calling.

Not to mention, she is shoving other kids.  You can call the police and have them deal with it if you don't want to.

• Like 6

eta: I caught what I missed.

I would phone call/email corporate.  email gives a paper trail, phone calls can get faster response.  emphasize their liability (especially if you talk to anyone at the local level again.)

I would also be skeptical about the "child doesn't speak much English" - that is a super easy way to avoid talking to adults.  I know adults who've admitted to pretending to not be able to speak English at times when they're perfectly fluent. (or dd's bff, who pretended to only speak English to avoid speaking Korean when she was picking up an order from a Korean owned business.   you learn all sorts of things that way.  like the staff is freaking out because your order isn't ready...)

Edited by gardenmom5

I wouldn't call corporate, at least not yet. I would go make the complaint again with the threat of that. Honestly, I don't feel like it's safe for a 9 yo to be at a pool alone... but I also wouldn't freak out if she can swim. And I wouldn't want to get this guy fired. I would want to make it clear that you don't want to go up the chain because it obviously looks that bad but you will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

Yep, I would absolutely call corporate over that.  I really am sympathetic to the issue of child care, but this is a huge safety issue, both for the little girl and the hotel.  

As for neglect...............this is SO close to the line.  Having been a mandated reporter this is one that I would just not be sure about.  Having said that, your DH is also a mandated reporter, correct?  If my DH was as concerned as you describe your DH, he would call if I didn't.  

ETA: my mom and I spend a few nights a year in various hotels, and the highlight of the stay for my kids IS the pool.  If we had been at that pool in that situation, my mom would have been at the front desk approx. every ten minutes.  And after about 3 times she would be calling corporate from the pool.  

ETA2:  Actually, I thought about it some more.  Actually, what probably would have happened is that the first time we realized the kid was by herself, what probably would have happened is that we would have called the girl over, then walked her to the front desk.  One of us staying with my kids while the other walked her to the desk.  "Hey, this little girl says she was down by the pool by herself, I am afraid she might be lost or something, do you know her parents room number?"

Normally, that’s exactly what I would have done, but I’m alone with the kids tonight and didn’t want to drag them dripping wet out of the pool.  Silly me kept expecting the parent to turn up every minute.

After a second brush off by the front desk, I emailed corporate.  We’ve had great experiences here before, so hopefully this is just an aberration.

Did the pool have typical sign saying No Lifeguard and that children need an adult present to swim?

6 minutes ago, Pen said:

Did the pool have typical sign saying No Lifeguard and that children need an adult present to swim?

Yes, along with the typical list of rules.  In fact, in the key card envelope is a slip of paper with pool rules that states no one under 18 without an adult, never swim alone, etc.  Like I said, there’s been a child fatality in this pool, which is why I’m shocked that staff seems to turn a blind eye.  She was also wearing street clothes, which is another risk factor.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I wouldn't call corporate, at least not yet. I would go make the complaint again with the threat of that. Honestly, I don't feel like it's safe for a 9 yo to be at a pool alone... but I also wouldn't freak out if she can swim. And I wouldn't want to get this guy fired. I would want to make it clear that you don't want to go up the chain because it obviously looks that bad but you will.

there are probably signs on the wall stating no one under 14 (maybe 12) can be there without an adult...

13 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

Yes, along with the typical list of rules.  In fact, in the key card envelope is a slip of paper with pool rules that states no one under 18 without an adult, never swim alone, etc.  Like I said, there’s been a child fatality in this pool, which is why I’m shocked that staff seems to turn a blind eye.  She was also wearing street clothes, which is another risk factor.

Street clothes doesn’t sound like a planned swim.  I wonder if she was supposed to be elsewhere, coloring quietly or something, and disregarded instructions and jumped in pool? 

Could there be autism or some such going on? 

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

Street clothes doesn’t sound like a planned swim.  I wonder if she was supposed to be elsewhere, coloring quietly or something, and disregarded instructions and jumped in pool? 

Could there be autism or some such going on? 

I don’t think it was planned; she was sitting in the breakfast nook when we checked in. It was unusual enough that I noticed.  I suspect she was bored and trying to play with the other kids in the pool, but between a potential language barrier and no adult supervising her, it didn’t go well.

However, the parent who’s child got hurt has been here since Wednesday and stated this child has been in the pool every evening, unsupervised and disturbing other children.  So this doesn’t seem to be a one time problem where dad and hotel management handle it.  The hotel manager isn’t even here after 5, and I sort of wonder if he doesn’t know.

(By the way, I’m not knocking the child. I have an eight year old son who is often annoying others and plays too rough without realizing it, which is why he is always supervised.)

Edited by Medicmom2.0

3 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

I don’t think it was planned; she was sitting in the breakfast nook when we checked in. It was unusual enough that I noticed.  I suspect she was bored and trying to play with the other kids in the pool, but between a potential language barrier and no adult supervising her, it didn’t go well.

However, the parent who’s child got hurt has been here since Wednesday and stated this child has been in the pool every evening, unsupervised and disturbing other children.  So this doesn’t seem to be a one time problem where dad and hotel management handle it.  The hotel manager isn’t even here after 5, and I sort of wonder if he doesn’t know.

I guess from your informing them that they do now.  I assume if she’s all wet her father must know.  

You've been given some good answers. I'd just add that I'd also ask for a refund or partial refund, since you weren't able to do what you planned. I'm sorry!

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, MercyA said:

You've been given some good answers. I'd just add that I'd also ask for a refund or partial refund, since you weren't able to do what you planned. I'm sorry!

I agree, since you were staying there with the express purpose of enjoying the pool and the unsupervised child made it impossible for you to enjoy your stay, yeah I'd be complaining and asking for a refund or credit or something.  It's not okay that you can't even use the facilities in a pleasing way because the staff's kid is misbehaving.

• Like 5

I would keep complaining while at the hotel, and also demand a discount due to inability to use the pool as expected.

I would not report it as child neglect.  The child herself may be reasonably safe at the pool alone, despite the fact that she is obnoxious toward other children.  Having a bratty kid is not a crime.

• Like 1

I haven’t read all the replies...

I’d go to the front desk and ask to speak to the highest ranking manager on duty. It should be someone above the pay grade of the front desk clerk. If that person shows up, I’d discuss the matter thoroughly, including the fact that any mandated reporter who happens to encounter the situation should report it. So, concern for the safety of the unsupervised child first  

I’d also ask for a refund. You did not receive the full benefit of the accommodations you requested, benefits advertised at the time you booked. 

If there is no one on duty wth the power to immediately call down the child’s parent and issue you a refund, you bet I’d be reporting the child as well as writing as contacting the Marriot higher ups. In that correspondence I would definitely reference the previous drowning and my status as a mandatory reporter.

• Like 3

I tend to not be bothered by kids that are allowed to play by themselves but this child obviously needs supervision based on her behavior. Pushing kids into a pool is a very unsafe situation and all her behavior is very obnoxious and a nuisance. I am really surprised they are so nonchalant about this kid with so many people complaining. It is extremely reckless to let a child that age unsupervised in a pool. Even if she could swim she could get in trouble and drown. Drowning is a leading cause of death for children. I like the idea of giving them a warming before contacting corporate. I would ask for a supervisor and tell them that I was very disturbed that the child was left alone to push people into the pool and that it is extremely dangerous for that child and a safety issue and must be rectified immediately. I would tell them the reason you stayed there is for the pool and you did not get to enjoy it because of what occurred. I would tell them that I would be going higher up and might even involve CPS if the situation was not immediately and permanently resolved. 

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 4

I would have and have taken my soaking wet children into a hotel lobby to let the desk clerk know of unsafe behavior in the pool.  I kept at it until something was done about it. 

In your situation I would let them know that since they did nothing about the situation that I would be contacting the manager later, corporate, and CPS as you are a mandated reporter.  Then I would contact all those people.  Imagine if the child did get into trouble one night in the pool and drown.  It’s not worth not reporting.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

I swear I run into the oddest situations.

I am at a local hotel with a nice pool for the night, specifically because so my kids could swim.  We go down the pool and there’s another child, around 8 or 9, alone in the pool. This is a hotel pool so there’s no lifeguard. I ask her where her parents are and what her name is, and she gives me her name and says she doesn’t speak much English.  Says her dad is working here at the hotel.  While we are in the pool other families come, and she shoves their kids into the pool, is running all over; throwing the safety rings off the wall into the pool and generally making a nuisance of herself. The other moms tell her to stop touching their kids, and eventually complain to the front desk who doesn’t seem very concerned and says she’s there a lot and they’ll get a hold of her dad. 30 minutes later still no parent.  Finally she shoves my littlest into the pool and I’ve had enough so we leave.  I’m ticked because (a) people should watch their kids and (b) I paid a reasonable amount of money for this room specifically for the pool.

WWYD? Complain again here? Call corporate?  My husband thinks it rises to the level of neglect and I should hotline it as a mandated reporter, but I’m not sure it goes that far.  If it matters, he’s had a pediatric drowning in this very pool and that child didn’t live.  I am astounded the hotel management allows this at all.

(BTW I suspect this is fundamentally a child care issue while Dad works. It’s a huge problem for low income people in the city we’re in. I’m sympathetic to that. I’ve had to take my kids to work with me for that reason too, but I’m dispatching at an ambulance company and they play on their kindles and watch movies quietly, not allowing them to swim unsupervised and annoy customers.)

ETA: This is a Marriott, if it matters, so a reputable chain.

I'd take it up the corporate chain, as well.

I am assuming corporate will follow up with a phone call or more emails.  I would definitely point out that you came here for a mini-vacation, which largely included pool time, and the unsupervised girl not only concerned you enough to get your attention away from your intended purpose, but she was threatening others in the pool area so that people were leaving because of her.  And, I would make a huge point about this not being safe or appropriate or professional on the part of the hotel employee.   My guess is that they will compensate you somehow.

I have called DSS on a child unsupervised in a park before.  Mom went off jogging and in 30 minutes she still hadn't returned.  She was furious when she came back, but I felt it needed to be done.

• Like 1

So...other mom wound up calling the cops. It was not an employee’s child.  She said her dad was “working” which is true. This hotel is very near a Fortune 500 company headquarters that has factories in many Asian countries.  Girl is traveling with dad from their home country and Dad has been leaving her in the hotel while he works and has late night business dinners.  I suspect it’s probably normal in their country, but not here.  CPS wound up taking the girl last night as no one knew how to locate her father.

The manager today is not thrilled about how nonchalant her employees were until the cops got called.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

So...other mom wound up calling the cops. It was not an employee’s child.  She said her dad was “working” which is true. This hotel is very near a Fortune 500 company headquarters that has factories in many Asian countries.  Girl is traveling with dad from their home country and Dad has been leaving her in the hotel while he works and has late night business dinners.  I suspect it’s probably normal in their country, but not here.  CPS wound up taking the girl last night as no one knew how to locate her father.

The manager today is not thrilled about how nonchalant her employees were until the cops got called.

I am wondering if it had to come to cops and CPS before they really cared.  That seems to be the typical.  It isn't an issue, until it is an issue.   So frustrating, but I am glad something was done.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 6

I'm glad the situation was resolved. I hope the staff will be more vigilant in the future. I'm shocked that they were so nonchalant about a guest's child! I mean, they were too nonchalant anyway for my taste, but if it was a child and parent they knew, I could see being a tad more lax. But a random kid not even from this country with limited English skills? I'd have shut that down immediately -- for the poor kid's sake! When I think of all the horrible things that could have happened...

• Like 3

I hope CPS has someone who speaks her language, being taken into strangers' custody in a foreign country sounds awfully stressful and frightening.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

I'm glad the situation was resolved. I hope the staff will be more vigilant in the future. I'm shocked that they were so nonchalant about a guest's child! I mean, they were too nonchalant anyway for my taste, but if it was a child and parent they knew, I could see being a tad more lax. But a random kid not even from this country with limited English skills? I'd have shut that down immediately -- for the poor kid's sake! When I think of all the horrible things that could have happened...

Part of me wonders if dad was paying some of staff cash to “watch” the child is why they were so nonchalant.  It happens more than most people think.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I am wondering if it had to come to cops and CPS before they really cared.  That seems to be the typical.  It isn't an issue, until it is and issue.   So frustrating, but I am glad something was done.

probably falls under:

not my monkey, not my problem.

glad it was resolved.

Whoa. That's very different from the scenario I was imagining. What a strange situation. I'm glad it's resolved.

• Like 1

I wonder what CPS does with non citizen children.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

Were you able to get a refund? I would insist on it! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maize said:

I hope CPS has someone who speaks her language, being taken into strangers' custody in a foreign country sounds awfully stressful and frightening.

I agree. That poor child! Her father was a negligent idiot, and the girl is the one who suffered for it. She may have been a brat, but it’s not her fault that her father left her unattended and seemingly with no way to contact him. Who would be away from home with their child and not have a way to get in contact if they were accidentally separated??? And in this case, he intentionally left her all alone, and he knew she didn’t speak English!  I am so disgusted with that father!!!!!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I agree. That poor child! Her father was a negligent idiot, and the girl is the one who suffered for it. She may have been a brat, but it’s not her fault that her father left her unattended and seemingly with no way to contact him. Who would be away from home with their child and not have a way to get in contact if they were accidentally separated??? And in this case, he intentionally left her all alone, and he knew she didn’t speak English!  I am so disgusted with that father!!!!!

Not that I agree with his actions but depending on what country he is from, it could be normal to leave an 8 year old alone. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Not that I agree with his actions but depending on what country he is from, it could be normal to leave an 8 year old alone. 

At the level of employee who goes abroad to work in a Fortune 500 company, I would be very surprised if they didn’t have a nanny at home. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Even if a particular culture would be ok with a young child being left alone, I disagree that it’s normal or acceptable for any parent to leave their child of any age alone in a hotel with no emergency contact information, and in this case, it was compounded by the fact that the kid didn’t even speak English. Not only could the child need to contact the parent (as in this case,) but what if the parent was in an accident or had a medical emergency? The poor kid would be alone in a hotel room with no way of knowing what was going on and no way of finding out. That seems negligent to me. 

I can’t help but wonder how the girl’s mother will react when she finds out what happened.....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

probably falls under:

not my monkey, not my problem.

glad it was resolved.

Actually, it is clearly their circus and having monkeys that aren't theirs staring up dung makes it absolutely their problem.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I dunno....this kid wasn't just "alone" though.  She was in a hotel, at the pool, with no way to contact her parent and very little ability to communicate with anyone and was alone for several hours.  When I was a kid, it wasn't atypical for an 8 yr old to be a latchkey kid, at home alone for an hour or two between the time they got off the bus until the time mom or dad got home from work.   Those are two totally different scenarios, IMO, and the first is very much a safety issue that I think is completely different or separate from whatever cultural norms are.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Actually, it is clearly their circus and having monkeys that aren't theirs staring up dung makes it absolutely their problem.

Yes, it was that hotel's responsibility. I was referring to attitudes of individual employees. 

Employees can sometimes be happy to pass the buck with; not my monkey, not my problem.

It is unknown whether the manager was informed about this kid originally - or just the front desk clerk.  Aka: peon.  

Or a different manager.  Heierarchy has multiple  managers so all shifts are covered, then there is the manager over all of them.

Eta, after the cops were called,  the supervising manager would for certain been informed.  I would give the benefit of the doubt this was the first time they heard about it. 

Edited by gardenmom5

Odd to that the child isn't in school this time of year though I guess it could be Spring break if they are from a country in the Northern Hemisphere. 

I was just thinking that maybe the father was as shocked as we were to hear about his dd being alone at the pool and roaming the halls. For all we know, he told her specifically to stay in the hotel room and not to leave until he got back, and she repeatedly disobeyed him. Based on her behavior at the pool, it’s pretty obvious that she’s not much of a rule-follower. And how would he know that she was roaming the halls if the hotel staff never cared enough to inform him? He may honestly never have known what she was doing.

Don't get me wrong — I still think he was very wrong on many levels, but he may not be as uncaring as I originally thought he was. He made a poor choice when he left her alone, but he may have thought she was safe in the room. 

• Like 4

Do we actually know her age? Could she be a couple of years older than she looks?

When I was 11 I was navigating public transportation in a foreign city where I spoke very little of the language on my own...

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I can’t help but wonder how the girl’s mother will react when she finds out what happened.....

I find it hard to assume that her mother is in the picture given that he brought his daughter along on a business trip without someone to watch her. I could be wrong but it sounds to me like the mother is deceased or otherwise not in the picture. Perhaps, if he had a nanny, the nanny quit just before the trip because the child's behavior at the pool wasn't an anomaly but a pattern. Or maybe she was sick or otherwise couldn't go on the trip? So he took his daughter on the business trip without a person to watch her because he had no other choice? It doesn't excuse any of it of course. I just can't see him bringing his young daughter on a business trip abroad if the girl's mother were at home in their home country. Maybe the mother was away on business as well is another possible explanation but... I don't know. At least the girl is safe for now.

8 minutes ago, maize said:

Odd to that the child isn't in school this time of year though I guess it could be Spring break if they are from a country in the Northern Hemisphere. 

Or, or... wait for it...

Maybe she’s homeschooled! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 16