Menu

mom brag -

gardenmom5

27 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

My apologies to both of your wallets.  

Congratulations to him.  I bet he is beyond thrilled. 

well - he's graduating with his BS with virtually no debt.  he's had great financial aid/grants/scholarships.  and he's instate - so that lowers it considerably.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, itsheresomewhere said:

My apologies to both of your wallets.  

Congratulations to him.  I bet he is beyond thrilled. 

we just found out that if he'd applied for the PhD... it would have included the MS, and they would have paid for all of it.

25 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

we just found out that if he'd applied for the PhD... it would have included the MS, and they would have paid for all of it.

This is almost always true of any reputable STEM PhD program. Can he still apply for the PhD program? If not, and he is interested in a PhD, it might be worthwhile to work for a year and then reapply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frances said:

This is almost always true of any reputable STEM PhD program. Can he still apply for the PhD program? If not, and he is interested in a PhD, it might be worthwhile to work for a year and then reapply.

he'd have to apply for next year (fall 2020), and he  doesn't actually want the PhD - (and it's five more years of school.  he wants to be done).  the MSAA is not actually a terminal degree, it's one that if he ever decides he wants the doc, he can come back and it's three years.  (they offer a MAE that *is* a terminal degree.)  Right now, his long term plan is doing a PE after five years of working as an engineer.  But life is what happens when you're making other plans.

dd's stem doc program was the same price per year/quarter (no grants, four years.) as his stem MSAA will be (two years/5-6 quarters) - same university. 

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

he'd have to apply for next year (fall 2020), and he  doesn't actually want the PhD - (and it's five more years of school.  he wants to be done).  the MSAA is not actually a terminal degree, it's one that if he ever decides he wants the doc, he can come back and it's three years.  (they offer a MAE that *is* a terminal degree.)  Right now, his long term plan is doing a PE after five years of working as an engineer.  But life is what happens when you're making other plans.

dd's stem doc program was the same price per year/quarter (no grants, four years.) as his stem MSAA will be (two years/5-6 quarters) - same university. 

That’s make sense if he doesn’t want the PhD now to not wait to apply. I’m not surprised your daughter’s professional doctorate (PharmD, correct?) was not funded. I was referring only to academic STEM PhDs being normally fully funded.

2 minutes ago, Frances said:

That’s make sense if he doesn’t want the PhD now to not wait to apply. I’m not surprised your daughter’s professional doctorate (PharmD, correct?) was not funded. I was referring only to academic STEM PhDs being normally fully funded.

1dd was looking at stem phds (computational linguistics - her health prevented her, now she has a mortgage payment) - some were funded, and some weren't.  it had more to do with the health of the schools' endowment, and not about the reputation of the dept.