Menu

"Popcorn reading" suggestions for 8 yr old?

madteaparty

She's currently majorly into Harry Potter, but I am a bit concerned because she went from mostly leveled readers to a book that weighs almost as much as she does. I don't think she's getting everything, or even most of it, but fine.

I want to be able to "check" her reading, and while we have a couple different read alouds, we don't usually do popcorn style. Can you recommend some you loved reading with your kid about is age? Thank you

Little House on the Prairie

Anne of Green Gables

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

The little Prince

A little princess

The secret garden

The Wizard of Oz

The borrowers

Indian in the cupboard

Magic Treehouse series

A to Z mysteries series

The last two in my list are on the easier side. I read a couple from the series out loud then let DS read them on his own.

The others are titles I read aloud to him that he enjoyed or that I remember enjoying around age 8. I would stop every few pages (or paragraphs even if I thought it was called for) to talk about what has happened. It was a natural stop - something was happening or about to happen and I'd ask who is doing what and why and what might happen next.

I think using Writing With Ease also helped reading comprehension skills.

But I will also say, Harry Potter was a mountain for DS too. I read it aloud to him, but he had a craving for it, and wanted to rush through it because it was so exciting. He ended up reading ahead and I, tired of reading aloud, let him and didn't re-read the chapters he claimed to have read on his own. But, by the end of the book, it was clear that he ended up just reading it for the action (or reading the pictures, since we had read from the illustrated edition,) and missing out on what was actually going on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1