Menu

MP science

lulalu

I thought I had my plans already for next year. But I keep looking at MP. 

For those that have used the science, do you like it? Looks like reading and a workbook. Is that all there is? Is it fun? Is it enough? 

Or am I better to look for something more hands on? 

I don't want hands on every time we do science that is too much for us. We do get reading done each day easily. 

There just seems to be too many choices in science and none of them are ones I look at and love. 

We recently started the MP Mammals study and we are really enjoying it so far. The books they picked are engaging and have great pictures and the guides are just a really good jumping off point for discussion. We don't write every answer (2nd/3rd grade) in the guide but I can see it being a bit tedious if you did. 

• Like 1

We are doing Insects for 5th grade right now. We like it. We use it as scheduled (once a week) in the core curriculum which is basically review previous material, read a section, and answer the workbook questions. 

My dd digs around the yard for insects on her own and enjoys it. We could do much more than we do with it, honestly and will probably revisit it over the summer when we have more time (and more insects!)

MP does not hit science hard in elementary. They cover nature study in a story format. 

So, we like it but I am not sure it would be enough for everyone. We use the MP Core package so it fits in nicely for us with the rest of the curriculum. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are using the Book of Astronomy this year.  My girls love it.  It is a bit dry and boring at first.  What makes it exciting is taking them outside to find the constellations and stars they are learning!  This isn't really scheduled, so we have to make a point to do it, but it really brings it alive.  I plan on adding a solar system model kit when we get to the planets. 

I will likely do similar things when we get to insects next year--in fact I think I have a science kit on the subject in our garage!  This has been my favorite science program to teach because it is so simple.  We can fit in a few extras when I have time and focus on the memory work when we are busier.

• Like 1

My son did Birds last year for 6th grade and he really liked it. It wasn't just reading and doing a workbook. There was a colouring book field guide, and bird songs to listen to online. The main book, What's That Bird, has lots of really nice photos. He set up a number of bird feeders for winter and then built and put up a ton of bird houses in summer. That was really fun hands-on, although not scheduled, but it seemed like an obvious add-on.

• Like 1

My older son did astronomy and insects.  Both were really excellent.  He was able to be pretty independent and was super engaged.  Astronomy didn't have much hands on, unless you count dragging everyone you know outside in the evening to find and explain constellations.  Insects did have some hands on stuff included, but he made lots of his own hands on too.  Lots of critters in the bug barn that year-and we always identified anything new.  He is already well versed in birds so we didn't do that this year, but we might do the tree study next year.  My middle child will do mammals next year.  For me, mp science is nature study for the real world, especially if you live where it is too cold and dark to do much in the winter.  My older used mp along with bfsu, but he is a real science nut.  For my middle, I will probably pair it with wide reading of trade books for earth and life sciences topics and some hands on stuff for physical science concepts.

• Like 1

I'm interested in this conversation because we're using some MP, but I'm afraid to take the plunge on the science. Plus, we are still early on and since MP is generally very hands off, we're using a hands on science with a few of those canned experiments. Why? Because my kids love them and they infuse a little "fun" into our lives at this young age. I think there will be a time and place for MP science though as I look toward the future. With everything MP, I'm sure it's deep rather than wide, and I see great value in that.  I find the "whole to part" philosophy very interesting and thought provoking. I never thought about it like that. I know I do love the idea of a guided nature study, which is how some users have described it. I was never very good at nature study on my own. The one thing that holds me back is that I do value a bit of variety and MP seems to stick with the same workbook format. Don't get me wrong-there's value in being able to compose a good sentence, but for science I want something different. Maybe it's because we tend to do science in the afternoon and by then, my brain is fried! Anyway, loving this discussion.

23 hours ago, Syllieann said:

My older son did astronomy and insects.  Both were really excellent.  He was able to be pretty independent and was super engaged.  Astronomy didn't have much hands on, unless you count dragging everyone you know outside in the evening to find and explain constellations.  Insects did have some hands on stuff included, but he made lots of his own hands on too.  Lots of critters in the bug barn that year-and we always identified anything new.  He is already well versed in birds so we didn't do that this year, but we might do the tree study next year.  My middle child will do mammals next year.  For me, mp science is nature study for the real world, especially if you live where it is too cold and dark to do much in the winter.  My older used mp along with bfsu, but he is a real science nut.  For my middle, I will probably pair it with wide reading of trade books for earth and life sciences topics and some hands on stuff for physical science concepts.

Is the astronomy meant to be done over a year or half a year?

1 hour ago, Trilliumlady said:

Is the astronomy meant to be done over a year or half a year?

Over a year.  I also put most of the memory work into anki.  I purchased the digital single lesson plans but we ended up doing about ten minutes per day over the week rather than completing the week's lesson in one day.  I'd say there is about an hour or work per week.  He had already read d'aulaire's Greek Myths twice so we skipped that ancillary part.