Menu

Books like the Who Was... Series for 10 year old interested in women in history

Dd has finished almost all of the Who Was series of books that feature women.  She wants to read something similar.  She enjoys the history fact pages stuck in with the the stories.  Can anyone think of something similar?  She is only interested in reading about women at the moment.  She does not care for the Childhood of Famous Americans series.  Thanks!

This one isn't part of a series, but DS and I read the young readers edition of Hidden Figures last year and it was a great read.

DK Biography looks like they have a fair amount of female biographies. https://www.amazon.com/DK-Biography-Marie-Curie-Photographic/dp/0756638313/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=marie+curie+kids+book&qid=1552012495&s=gateway&sr=8-6

On 3/7/2019 at 9:37 PM, AmandaVT said:

This one isn't part of a series, but DS and I read the young readers edition of Hidden Figures last year and it was a great read.

DK Biography looks like they have a fair amount of female biographies. https://www.amazon.com/DK-Biography-Marie-Curie-Photographic/dp/0756638313/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=marie+curie+kids+book&qid=1552012495&s=gateway&sr=8-6

The DK biographies look great!  I actually have the book Hidden Figures, and I think we have the young reader's edition as well.  Maybe she and I could have a little book club!  Thanks!

On 3/8/2019 at 7:07 AM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

You might try this series. 

https://www.amazon.com/Marie-Curie-Kids-Discoveries-Experiments/dp/1613733208/ref=mp_s_a_1_46?keywords=21+activities+books&qid=1552046611&s=gateway&sr=8-46

If you search “21 Activities for kids” and then any particular name on Amazon search you’ll see if they have it. They have a ton of books in this series covering a large range of topics. We have three and have been happy so far. Good quality, lots of pictures, but not dumbed down at all. 

I have no idea if they still make them, but I know at that age I still loved the Value Tale books too. They look childish, but I read those stories a million times.  They had them on famous historical women. I wonder if they still sell them used? 

Thanks!  I'll look into both of these!

Honestly, I think your best bet will just be to go to your central library (or the one with a decent children's collection... hoping and assuming you have one) and walk through the biographies. There are lots of in depth picture book biographies that are newish and amazing and while they'll have a different look, could be perfect for her.

• Like 1