Menu

Caribbean lit suggestions?

ThisIsTheDay

Caveat: I have not read these all, but these are the Carribean books I can think of that I've read or are on my TR list.  I'm assuming for a college class he's not looking for YA, so I'll leave any YA out. 

Cuba

• Reasons of State by Alejo Carpentier (or other by same author)
  • Three Trapped Tigers by G. Carrera Infante
  • Super Extra Grande or Planet for Rent (both Cuban SciFi) by Yoss

Dominican Republic

• The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (author is Peruvian, but the book is set in the Dominican Republic)

Dominica

• The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Jamaica

• Augustown by Kei Miller
  • The Book of Night Women by Marlon James

Haiti

• Claire of the Sea Light by Edwidge Danticat

Martinique

• Slave Old Man by Patrick Chamoiseau

Guadeloupe 

• The Bridge of Beyond by Simone Schwarz-Bart
Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Emerald Stoker said:

How about Derek Walcott's Omeros? Should be just the ticket for a former classical homeschooler....

Thank you all so much. Emerald, your comment was perfect, haha, and his second all time favorite book is The Iliad. 🙂 Looking at several of the Walcott titles, his writing style would be very appealing to my son.

I'm passing this whole list on to him. I truly appreciate all of the suggestions!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 6:35 PM, Emerald Stoker said:

How about Derek Walcott's Omeros? Should be just the ticket for a former classical homeschooler....

Emerald, I wanted to let you know that he ended up choosing The Bounty by Walcott. Walcott's writings seem to be right up my son's alley, and we never would have found him without your suggestion. (I think he would love Omeros, but he ended up going with a book of only about 100 pages.) So thank you!

That's great! I haven't read Walcott myself, but had Omeros on a long list of Homer-related works (the Penelopiad and so on) that I thought we might do at one point . We wound up doing a whole bunch of Central European lit in translation instead! (One never knows which way the wind will blow one...) But I'm glad something from one of my endless lists wound up being indirectly useful to someone else!! 

• Like 1