Menu

Hendrix and Rhodes

Janeway

Can I ask for personal opinions on these schools? I am unsure why, but I think I have a better feeling about Hendrix over Rhodes, but the only logic behind that is that I have a friend whose daughter goes there and she raves about it.  My husband says he would love it if we could cut Rhodes off the trip and make the college road trip just a one night overnight trip. If any of you have any reviews or such (I have already Googled it to see what random online reviews I could find) please tell me. If you feel more comfy PM'ing me, that is great too. The good, bad, awesome, and terrible. Thank you!

No real experience with either but if you think any interest at all in Rhodes will remain I think it is important to visit. Rhodes is pretty upfront about considering applicant interest in admissions decisions. My oldest ds applied there EA and got deferred with a letter that pretty clearly said they wanted to admit him but he needed to visit. Then he got several reminders to visit over the rest of the application season and was ultimately waitlisted with an explanation that he didn’t show interest.

Now, they were right, ds totally wasn’t interested enough to visit. He applied because he had had some discussions with the baseball coach and because he was applying to several similar southern LA colleges. It was also free application on Common App. He wouldn’t have gone if admitted (unless they gave him some fantastic financial deal). So waitlisting my ds helped their admission and yield rates. 

All that to say if Rhodes isn’t going to fall off the radar completely I would suggest a visit. My ds has been there several times now to play baseball and he does report that it is an absolutely beautiful place. 

• Like 2

Am I remembering correctly that these your first college visits?  Because if so, I'd encourage you to go to both even if one or both eventually fall on the list.  It is helpful to see contrasts and what different campuses have to offer.   I'd honestly tell my spouse to buckle up.  My oldest and I actually did a fair amount of college visiting alone, or if my younger and DH were along, they'd go off and do something touristy for the day.

And I 100% agree that many schools, especially small LAC's like to see interest in their applicants.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Am I remembering correctly that these your first college visits?  

If Catz is remembering correctly, I would really recommend visiting at least a couple of nearby colleges before trekking out of town. He doesn't have to be interested in the nearby colleges, but I found we learned a lot about what to look for and what questions to ask as we went along. I was glad that our first visits were not to schools we would not likely visit again. 

• Like 1

DS applied to Hendrix this year, and we've visited twice. It's a great place; everyone there has been super friendly/helpful, the students all seem happy and engaged, the campus is lovely and they're doing a lot of building/improving. Everyone who's gone there seems to rave about it. Lots of emphasis on experiential learning and on the liberal arts experience--exploring different interests, designing your own major if you want, all that kind of thing. It's sinking on DS's list a bit lately mostly because it has a tiny math department, and he's nervous about limited course offerings and professors and all that, but we're still big fans. It seems like a great environment that's nurturing but also pushes kids in good ways. 

• Like 2